2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

Dear Lou and the Isles:

Sorry, trying to win low-scoring close games where your team has to play near-perfect hockey damned near every game (even when you have a fine goalie) doesn’t really work in today’s NHL.

Isles see a 2-0 lead quickly turn into a 3-2 deficit in less than four minutes in the third.  Once upon a time Lou’s Devils take that lead all the way home or win 3-1.  Different era now.

Game isn’t over yet though.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Bleech, Rangers win.  Jets had over 1:40 of power play time to start OT and couldn’t score.  Boooooooooo.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bleech, Rangers win.  Jets had over 1:40 of power play time to start OT and couldn’t score.  Boooooooooo.

Not all teams can benefit from having a PP that is clicking at a 41% rate like NJD right now. That is like EDM last year good. So hot. 

13 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Not all teams can benefit from having a PP that is clicking at a 41% rate like NJD right now. That is like EDM last year good. So hot. 

Yeah didn’t realize it but the Jets’ PP is off to a very slow start…under 13% heading into tonight.

I was just hoping they would knock off the Rags.  Oh well…Devils get their first crack at the Rags on 11/18.

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Zacha with the OT winner for Boston

I wish I could say I'm happy for him that the change of scenery is going him well, but I honestly still can't stand him.  Bad memories of him giving 50% here and being part of the problem.

We'll see how good he looks when the Bruins finally fall off a cliff,

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Mtl can't stop with this.

The funny thing is that you just KNOW they're thinking "Look at Mercer, he hasn't put up any points yet, maybe the Devils are ready to give up on him and move him for a guy who's ready to help them win RIGHT NOW!  Good deal for both sides!"  No dummies, you're not getting a very promising 22-year-old for a guy who's not only nothing special, but comes with a sh!tty cap hit to boot.  Give up the "Anderson to the Devils" nonsense already!

I don't have Mercer has an untouchable necessarily, but the only way that I'd even begin to consider trading him would be for an obvious upgrade in net, who's on a reasonable cap hit for what he'd bring...such a deal would likely involve VV (to clear cap space) and Dawson (who will be making a good chunk more next season), so that the Devils could take on the hit in 2024-25 and beyond.  And given the Devils' current cap situation, I'm not sure such a deal would be able to happen until the offseason anyway.

To be clear, to suggest that trading Mercer in a deal for a goalie has nothing to do with his slow start; like I've said elsewhere, even with some concerns (such as lack of shots on goal), I think he is going to be fine and I think he'll eventually start to provide some offense. 

I'd prefer that Mercer sticks around myself, but if Fitz decides that he needs to pursue a goalie who's under contract elsewhere, he's going to have to give to get.  There's quite a few "no way" players locked up here who won't be made available in deals, and others who might be available but who aren't the kinds of players that other teams would want to deal an above-average goalie for.  Mercer would probably be the prime trade chip. 

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I wish I could say I'm happy for him that the change of scenery is going him well, but I honestly still can't stand him.  Bad memories of him giving 50% here and being part of the problem.

We'll see how good he looks when the Bruins finally fall off a cliff,

I'll never be bothered by anything he does in Boston mostly because he was never going to do that here.  Devils gave him plenty of seasons and games...they couldn't wait forever.  They didn't want to sign him (and I don't blame them), so they had to get something back.

Haula's doing his thing here...he'll likely never match Zacha in terms of pure offensive production, but so be it.  The goals are hiding some iffy underlying numbers so far this season, but Haula should be a solid, versatile forward here for the next few years. 

7 minutes ago, Henry Killinger said:

When did Philly start using Van Halen's "Ain't Talkin Bout Love" as their goal song?

Originally back in the 90s (The "Hey hey hey!" part).  Are they using that again?

7 minutes ago, Henry Killinger said:

Yes sir

I'm surprised, mostly because that fanbase keeps screaming for "DOOP" to come back.  The Flyers might as well make their fans happy.  

55 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm surprised, mostly because that fanbase keeps screaming for "DOOP" to come back.  The Flyers might as well make their fans happy.  

Their MLS team have used that doop song for as long as I can remember. It's absolutely miserable to hear as a visiting fan seeing a game there.