2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

39 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Yeah sure, but I didn't say that so whatever.

I think the most damning thing against this guy is the previous, clearly intentional kick when his check got past him.  That was also reckless and dangerous and these two situations are eerily similar.  The PIMs thing is just another piece to consider that seems to describe his play style.

The PIMs, that I don't think holds any water here, for the reasons that I stated before.  I was more expanding on something specific that you posted, as I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, with some of those mentions seeming to say "Racks up a lot of PIMs...sooooooo..."  I was more simply saying that I don't think PIMs has much correlation here, or should be used to strengthen any case to be made of ill intent.

Re:  the bolded, if that's the case some choose to make, that one makes more sense.  

I'm going to wait to see what comes out of the investigation.  Unfortunately I did see the video (one of my employees who's a Devils fan brought it up and given the controversy, and after discussing it for about 10 mins with him, I decided to watch it) and as @Nicomo said, the whole thing is just...weird.  Surreal.  Guess I want to believe that every player (especially one who's played as long as Petgrave) would know the dangers of such a move involving a skate blade, and wouldn't dream of attempting to ever use it to potentially injure someone, ever.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And just to be objective to both sides I shouldn’t have said this:

It was a terrible accident. Simple as that. 

I obviously can’t say that for certain. Just like people can’t say there was clear intent to injure. Like mentioned above, only one person knows for sure. I personally don’t think he’ll end up being charged, but we’ll just have to wait and see how it plays out. 

Pretty much where I am.  I just said it in my previous post but I really don't want to believe that any player would ever snap so much in any given moment to suddenly decide "OK, I'm gonna get someone with my skate blade!"

We'll see what the investigation comes up with. 

22 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

This is the key part of my post you are ignoring:

“The last thing in the world he needs right now” 

He hasn’t been charged with anything as of yet. If he is, and there’s evidence enough to convict him then he will deserve what he gets. But right now the ugliness is way over the top, and I just think people should stop for a minute and think what if it actually was a complete and total freak accident?

I finally decided to watch the video myself last night, and I still have no clue how the hell it happened. Easily the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen in a hockey game. 

I gotcha. I'm also not intrending to come across as saying that the guy needs to be behind bars right this second (or at all), just that at some point, whenever it's appropriate, I think it deserves an investigation. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Yeah sure, but I didn't say that so whatever.

I think the most damning thing against this guy is the previous, clearly intentional kick when his check got past him.  That was also reckless and dangerous and these two situations are eerily similar.  The PIMs thing is just another piece to consider that seems to describe his play style.

Nobody is talking about that here so it's whatever.  No need to even bring it up.

It's part of it because the guy who posted that old clip is in the same sector. 

That clip is also at least over a decade old because he hasn't played in the ohl since the 12-13 season. If this was a routine occurrence that has video of him doing it a ton of times it would be different. 

This isn't a clear cut situation where Todd Bertuzzi was actively trying to injure someone. 

Like @Colorado Rockies 1976 said I don't think PIMs translate to anything either. Dano was a nut on the ice and had lots of PIMs too, it doesn't mean anything. 

sh!t just goes wrong sometimes, I think this is one of those situations. Taylor Hall has cut someone before too with a move he didn't have to do, I don't think he was actively trying to hurt anyone. 

And here's one of Johnson's teammates talking about the abuse Petgrave has received and how he thought it was an accident up close. A guy who doesn't have to speak up and defend an opposing player whatsoever and who was much closer to the play than a sh!tty video than former players like Chris, Carcillo, Marc Methot and Sean Avery... 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I gotcha. I'm also not intrending to come across as saying that the guy needs to be behind bars right this second (or at all), just that at some point, whenever it's appropriate, I think it deserves an investigation. 

Totally fair.

And I also apologize to @njbuff for my initial response. My frustration with some of the commentary surrounding this topic is completely about things I’m seeing elsewhere, not here. 

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

In those videos they do explaining the suspensions, Clifton has no prior history but McAvoy has been suspended once before for an illegal hit to the head so that's why Clifton only got 2 and McAvoy got 4.

I would also say McAvoy's hit was more unnecessary and a lot less accidental. It was rat-like. I can see Clifton's hit being more of a hockey play that went poorly but McAvoy had a different motivation for making his hit.

In other news, Captials and Backstrom made a statement today and sounds like he can't play right now due to his health. Maybe not anymore. That's a shame.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I would also say McAvoy's hit was more unnecessary and a lot less accidental. It was rat-like. I can see Clifton's hit being more of a hockey play that went poorly but McAvoy had a different motivation for making his hit.

In other news, Captials and Backstrom made a statement today and sounds like he can't play right now due to his health. Maybe not anymore. That's a shame.

First point is fair.

The rest of your post made me think of Nolan Patrick.  I feel for that guy…he easily could’ve been picked over Nico, and at the time I don’t think we would’ve quibbled much.  Guess there’s a real chance that he never is able to play again.  Very sad and unfortunate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Totally fair.

And I also apologize to @njbuff for my initial response. My frustration with some of the commentary surrounding this topic is completely about things I’m seeing elsewhere, not here. 

You don’t have to apologize. I respect your opinion.

I just think it was a purely thuggish move (forget the stupid race angle) and this should be thoroughly investigated. 

If this warrants charges, then I can see that.

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oof, always stings to lose a first-rounder.

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

We know how it feels.

Yep.

Only to get it back to spend it on John “Now We Rise” Quenneville.  Oh how I don’t miss those days…

Red Wings’ offense sure cooled in a hurry…only 6 goals in their last 4 games, four of which came in one game.  They were red hot there for a while.

A goal was just scored by Edmonton where the player pushed the goalies pad, but not into the net, and they let the goal stand. No interference. I really don't get how they determine it is okay vs not...Nico's goal looked like a textbook crash the net goal to me too. Homer glasses maybe but I think this goal is also BS then.

Edited by NJDevils1214

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

:o

Sharks now 0-9-1 and have been outscored 44-10.

Vancouver just waxed them 10-1.

It’s been extremely rare over the past 30 years or so to see a team not manage to win 20 games, but this 2023-24 Sharks team looks like they’re going to have a hell of a time trying to pull that off.  I honestly didn’t think a team COULD be this bad in this day and age.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sharks now 0-9-1 and have been outscored 44-10.

Vancouver just waxed them 10-1.

It’s been extremely over the past 30 years of so to see a team not manage to win 20 games, but this 2023-24 Sharks looks like they’re going to have a hell of a time trying to pull that off.  I honestly didn’t think a team COULD be this bad in this day and age.

SJ could be the worst team since the ‘92 Senators. I’m with you, I didn’t think a team could suck this much in today’s day and age, but that team is a total dumpster fire. 

Edited by MadDog2020

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

SJ could be the worst team since the ‘92 Senators. I’m with you, I didn’t think a team could suck this much in today’s day and age, but that team is a total dumpster fire. 

Their AHL squad is only 1-3-3.  They have some third-rounders and fourth-round picks, as well as a former (but nothing special) first-rounder, and of course, Muk.  Okhotiuk made his Sharks debut last night...welcome back to the NHL kid.

They've gotta find a way to offload Hertl, but not sure how they can.  That AAV and term (combined with his age) is kinda prohibitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Flyers might give San Jose a run for their money in November 

They had that brief "Maybe if everything breaks right, we can flirt with 30 wins" kind of start, but now they're predictably migrating to the bottom of the division.

Cam Atkinson is off to a nice start (6 goals in 10 GP)...if he keeps it up and has, say, 25 goals or so near the deadline (and is healthy), maybe someone is willing to pick up him if they're looking for more offense.  Flyers will likely have to pick up a chunk of his remaining tab over this season and next (his AAV is $5.875 million), but they might be able to fetch a second-rounder and something else.  Seems like the kind of move the Islanders or Rangers would make.

37 minutes ago, HughesCorporation said:

I dont want any NHLer to have a serious injury, not even a Rag, hopefully in time Fox returns to 100%, but if the Rags are a weaker team right now, I'm OK with that because they've been pretty strong to start the season

What pisses me off about Fox is he said "he stuck out his leg" and the Rags broadcast ran with it.... Aho was planted, at worst, his legs never moved in a manner of intent to injure.