2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You don’t think some team needing goalie help wouldn’t take him for free?

I was wondering the same but he has been SO bad since going to Edmonton…an .886 save% and a -21.7 GSAA in 41 appearances.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

No because he's currently not playable and he has three more years after this year at 5 million AAV  

It's basically another Cory situation...only Campbell has been SO prohibitively awful that unlike the Devils with Cory, his team has decided there's no chance at all that he might somehow regain his form, and is bailing on him much earlier.

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

According to this they will only save 1.15 million.  What's the league minimum these days should they add a minimum wage replacement?  775k?  They're doing this for 375k?   Things are bad in Edmonton.   

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/edmonton-oilers-place-g-jack-campbell-on-waivers-1.2032465

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's basically another Cory situation...only Campbell has been SO prohibitively awful that unlike the Devils with Cory, his team has decided there's no chance at all that he might somehow regain his form, and is bailing on him much earlier.

I think Holland and the leadership group probably felt that they had to do something. 

If I am the team that's taking on Jack Campbell, I am asking the Oilers retain 50% of that dog sh!t contract. Take the L and just move on. 

Imagine ANA taking on Campbell's contract and sending Gibson for draft picks to EDM. 

What is wild is that 5m is probably the going market rate for a goalie like Vanecek if he were to hit the FA market. Average to above average most of the season. So glad the Devils are not signing goalies to 5m-10m dollar flops. The goalie market is wild. Only top 5 goalies should be getting 7-8m plus and even that is a lot with the injury risk and how up and down goalie trajectories can be today. You cant spend a lot of money on a position that the risk of regression is so high. 

Edited by RizzMB30

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

I think Holland and the leadership group probably felt that they had to do something. 

If I am the team that's taking on Jack Campbell, I am asking the Oilers retain 50% of that dog sh!t contract. Take the L and just move on. 

Imagine ANA taking on Campbell's contract and sending Gibson for draft picks to EDM. 

What is wild is that 5m is probably the going market rate for a goalie like Vanecek if he were to hit the FA market. Average to above average most of the season. So glad the Devils are not signing goalies to 5m-10m dollar flops. The goalie market is wild. Only top 5 goalies should be getting 7-8m plus and even that is a lot with the injury risk and how up and down goalie trajectories can be today. You cant spend a lot of money on a position that the risk of regression is so high. 

The entire team seems to be at a low point. I am not sure waiving a guy injects confidence into the group...but to your point they had to do something. Usually the something is firing the coach. Players rarely lose their jobs.

43 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The entire team seems to be at a low point. I am not sure waiving a guy injects confidence into the group...but to your point they had to do something. Usually the something is firing the coach. Players rarely lose their jobs.

On the flip side, in a small sample size, EDM's tendies in the AHL are playing well. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/campbell-placed-on-waivers-by-oilers

Rodrigue is 2-0-0 with a 1.00 GAA and .986 save percentage in two AHL games this season. Pickard is 2-2-0 with a 2.03 GAA and .939 save percentage in four games.

Probably going to give one of these two a shot. 

30 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

On the flip side, in a small sample size, EDM's tendies in the AHL are playing well. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/campbell-placed-on-waivers-by-oilers

Probably going to give one of these two a shot. 

It'll be interesting to see if that helps. I've seen their D system taking a lot of criticism lately too.

Rangers have really blown their game open.  Up 4-0…bleech.

Red Wings have really cooled off after that 5-game winning streak (though they did beat the Bruins in their last game).

Make that 5-0.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Rangers are flying, not going to lie making me a little nervous 

Sucks that the Devils are going to have to face them without Jack.  

17 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

John Hynes is apparently consulting for SJS. Dude manages to keep getting a paycheck from somebody.

If I was the Sharks hierarchy i would be phoning him, asking him what he would do, hanging up and then doing the complete opposite.

• EvilHeart 1