2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

Just now, jagknife said:

Yeah, was more saying along the lines of the dreams some of us, me included, had of him coming here.

3rd and 5th wasn’t bad at all, but we woulda have had to pay more to get them to retain or pull in another team.

I was hoping Fitz would pick him up as well, but it is what it is. Would love to have a physical dman in the lineup for a change. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

I was hoping Fitz would pick him up as well, but it is what it is. Would love to have a physical dman in the lineup for a change. 

I was hoping too, but he went out West, no problem with that, glad he didnt end up on a local team

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HughesCorporation said:

yeah a little weird 

They obviously valued not having to retain over slightly better draft comp.

Makes sense if they are looking to sell of a lot more of their UFAs and others -- still have a retention slots to work with, and around 3.8MM in extra cap space, so lots of flexibility.

Edited by smelly

Canucks cooling off a bit as of late…3-5-0 in their last 8 after losing to the Golden Knights 4-1.  Not saying they won’t have a good season overall, but gotta wonder about guys like JT Miller and Brock Boeser being able to keep up their torrid starts.  Lots of regression candidates among their scorers…also fair to wonder is Demko is really as good as he’s been so far this season.

44 minutes ago, jagknife said:

one of the Habs goalies off the block, presumably 

And that's just the thing...for some of the bitching that goes on about Fitz not going right out and bringing in another goalie to improve upon the two who weren't bad at all last year...it's not like obvious upgrades are always so readily available.  Teams will actually try to hang onto solid netminders (or ones that they think have a real future).  Yeah, when guys like VV become available, it's usually for a reason, but I'd rather that, as opposed to bringing in potential cap-killers like Binnington or Gibson...VV is here on a decent hit, not signed terribly long-term, and this season is far from over.

It goes back to the same thing...you really need to grow your own guy from within, enjoy the cheaper years while you've got them, hopefully sign him to a solid 4-6 year deal at not insane AAV, and then hopefully you have his potential replacement in house should he decide to get as much money as he possibly can elsewhere, cap be damned.  When you're that team who signs that big UFA goalie by the time he's 30 or so, to a long-term deal that's guaranteed to include several decline years...that's when you can really screw your cap up.

The problem with goalies is it's not like former scorers who might be able to adapt to different roles on bottom 6 lines...sure, you may not be getting exactly what you're paying for, but at least the player in question is still contributing to the cause.  Once a high-priced former aging top goalie loses it, with several years left on a long term deal...then what?  This is why I wasn't bullish on the Devils giving up assets to trade for Hellebuyck and THEN signing him to big money (for his Age 31 and beyond seasons) that would've killed their cap space (and ability to sign/keep other players).  And apparently no one else was either; hence, the reason he stayed with Winnipeg.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Much like our 1926 Newark Cowfrogs inspired Jersey jerseys, these new Ranger jerseys are full of symbolism. Here’s what I was able to pick out:

stripes: over 70 stripes, symbolizing each time the Rags fans decided they were gonna win the cup in preseason only to abandon the team in the spring when they are eliminated and the fans turn to baseball.

giant logo: symbolizes the inflated ego and sense of entitlement from a franchise with very little success in nearly a century of existence. 

After-thought solid practice jersey numbers: signifying that much like the Rags UFA and trade decisions, this was a  money grab that had very little planning involved 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Much like our 1926 Newark Cowfrogs inspired Jersey jerseys, these new Ranger jerseys are full of symbolism. Here’s what I was able to pick out:

stripes: over 70 stripes, symbolizing each time the Rags fans decided they were gonna win the cup in preseason only to abandon the team in the spring when they are eliminated and the fans turn to baseball.

giant logo: symbolizes the inflated ego and sense of entitlement from a franchise with very little success in nearly a century of existence. 

After-thought solid practice jersey numbers: signifying that much like the Rags UFA and trade decisions, this was a  money grab that had very little planning involved 

IMG_2916.gif

34 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This 

is

BRILLIANT

image.png.0c63f33469bcef47455b7e5a2e6b780d.png

Will you start posting here more dammit?!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I am not gonna lie. I actually really like those. The stripes look sick. Too bad that logo makes it all sh!tty lookin.

Agreed, it’s a sharp jersey minus the logo.   Would look good with the USA hockey logo on it.   

im actually not sure they used the right logo on this.   Shield doesn’t look right.   Should have gone with Statue of Liberty logo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lateralous said:

im actually not sure they used the right logo on this.   Shield doesn’t look right.   Should have gone with Statue of Liberty logo. 

First of all Lady Liberty is in NJ, so they can fvck off with that stupid logo. Second, I think the shield looks okay. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

I know unrealistic, but oh how I wish we could have picked up Zadorov and dumped Siegenthaler and Bahl. 

It sucks. He wasn't even that expensive from a trade perspective, but my guess is Calgary didn't want to take any of salary back/retain. Had Dougie been injury a couple games earlier it prob would have been moot.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1