2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

7 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Never want to see them win hurts more while we’re struggling 

Like it or not the Rangers are indisputably a better team right now.  Not even in the same stratosphere.  NJ needs to focus on one thing -- getting their own house in order.  If they can somehow do that, the rest will take of itself.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, smelly said:

Like it or not the Rangers are indisputably a better team right now.  Not even in the same stratosphere.  NJ needs to focus on one thing -- getting their own house in order.  If they can somehow do that, the rest will take of itself.

No doubt, they’re seeming to be a power house and they did it with missing parts.. unlike our system where the floor falls out with one player out for 5 games. 

11 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

No doubt, they’re seeming to be a power house and they did it with missing parts.. unlike our system where the floor falls out with one player out for 5 games. 

Well that’s just completely disingenuous. In addition to Jack’s 5 games (which would be like the Rags missing Panarin)

- Nico missed 11 games 

- Timo missed 7 games 

- Haula missed 4 games

- Miller missed 14 games 

- Nosek missed 16 games

- Lazar missed 2 games 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Well that’s just completely disingenuous. In addition to Jack’s 5 games (which would be like the Rags missing Panarin)

- Nico missed 11 games 

- Timo missed 7 games 

- Haula missed 4 games

- Miller missed 14 games 

- Nosek missed 16 games

- Lazar missed 2 games 

Our Goalies suck and we won't win Jack sh!t with either of them in net.....I  hope they prove me wrong but I doubt will.

Just now, hit the post said:

Our Goalies suck and we won't win Jack sh!t with either of them in net.....I  hope they prove me wrong but I doubt will.

Not sure what that has to do with my post, but ok. 

You can criticize the coaching, goaltending, defense, etc, while still admitting they’ve been absolutely decimated by injuries. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You can criticize the coaching, goaltending, defense, etc, while still admitting they’ve been absolutely decimated by injuries. 

Even healthy they will lose most nights because of the goaltending........Goaltending is why this team loses 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Exactly, as the above scenarios aren’t mutually exclusive.

42 minutes ago, hit the post said:

Even healthy they will lose most nights because of the goaltending........Goaltending is why this team loses 

Goaltending, defense, decionmaking, and coaching.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

- Nico missed 11 games 

- Timo missed 7 games 

- Haula missed 4 games

- Miller missed 14 games 

- Nosek missed 16 games

- Lazar missed 2 games 

Hamilton is also at 2 games going to 40 or 50. 

Just for comparison, the Rangers lost 51 man games to injury for the entire ‘22-‘23 season.   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, it’s definitely multiple things this year…with injuries sure as hell not helping.  It feels like if just one of the currently deficient aspects could find some damned way to get it going, the others will follow.  But obviously that’s just not happening with any consistency at all.  The last game we really saw some semblance of that was the win against the Penguins.

re:  the goaltending specifically, the Devils ranked 11th in save% last season, and of course that number includes the work of one guy that we pretty much ALL wanted to see jettisoned, in Blackwood.  His numbers dragged down that overall team save%.

Even though the goaltending has not been what it was last season, I’m still not sure why Fitz should’ve been in “OMG what a glaring fvcking weakness in net I’d better do something about this even if it means killing cap flexibility and/or giving up prospects to do it!”

Does suck that there does appear to be a sudden shortage of good netminders in the NHL…not even sure what Fitz can do here, via trade.  Said it a bunch already but goddamn if the Devils are going to keep drafting a goalie in every draft, can they hit on just one of ‘em?  Maybe Schmid becomes a solid “from within” guy in time, but of course, not going to pretend he’s remotely a sure thing (though he did show some promise last season).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Nicomo said:

If our cup winning teams had these Goaltenders they would have never won a cup......Those teams were great but Brodeur was the key piece.Without great goaltending you don't win sh!t.This team needs better then they have.

11 hours ago, hit the post said:

If our cup winning teams had these Goaltenders they would have never won a cup......Those teams were great but Brodeur was the key piece.Without great goaltending you don't win sh!t.This team needs better then they have.

Adin Hill literally played in 27 games for Vegas in the regular season last year, and then came into the playoffs in the second round, cold with hardly any practice or a chance to develop consistency, and won it for them. 

A great goalie will make things much easier on a team, no doubt, but Brodeur, Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Luongo, those guys are extremely hard to come by, there's usually only one or two per 1-2 decades, yet, despite that, other teams still manage to win Cups during those times.  It's because they have complete teams outside of the goalie.  The goalie is one of the pieces that can put you over the top, but he's not likely to solely win you a Cup, unless he's one of those Brodeur/Roy type guys which is extremely rare. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Adin Hill literally played in 27 games for Vegas in the regular season last year, and then came into the playoffs in the second round, cold with hardly any practice or a chance to develop consistency, and won it for them. 

A great goalie will make things much easier on a team, no doubt, but Brodeur, Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Luongo, those guys are extremely hard to come by, there's usually only one or two per 1-2 decades, yet, despite that, other teams still manage to win Cups during those times.  It's because they have complete teams outside of the goalie.  The goalie is one of the pieces that can put you over the top, but he's not likely to solely win you a Cup, unless he's one of those Brodeur/Roy type guys which is extremely rare. 

Sorry but our goalie suck and we will never get near another cup with them in net. Bash me if you like but its the truth.This team is missing a major piece.

57 minutes ago, hit the post said:

Sorry but our goalie suck and we will never get near another cup with them in net. Bash me if you like but its the truth.This team is missing a major piece.

Not going to bash you at all. You're entitled to your opinion. In fact, I'd say the general consensus around here is roughly 50/50 as to whether goaltending or defense is our biggest problem.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Not going to bash you at all. You're entitled to your opinion. In fact, I'd say the general consensus around here is roughly 50/50 as to whether goaltending or defense is our biggest problem.

I still think it's more on the defense/coaching. Still lot to be desired from our goalies, for sure, but the defensive lapses have been making me want to pull out what little hair I still have left

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

I still think it's more on the defense/coaching. Still lot to be desired from our goalies, for sure, but the defensive lapses have been making me want to pull out what little hair I still have left

IMO, the veteran defenders on this team have been the biggest disappointment so far this season.   I don't think you can say any one of Hamilton, Siegenthaler, Marino or Smith have consistently played up to their ability.   I guess Miller has been good in his role, but he's only been available for 1/3 of the season to date.       

Edit: Before I get clobbered about the goaltending, I agree they've been bad but I expected a lot more out of the veteran D who, minus Smith, have all proven to be good players at this level.  I typically don't get on Smith because we all know he's a placeholder and only in the lineup due to injury, but holy hell, he's been worse than I could have ever imagined.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

IMO, the veteran defenders on this team have been the biggest disappointment so far this season.   I don't think you can say any one of Hamilton, Siegenthaler, Marino or Smith have consistently played up to their ability.   I guess Miller has been good in his role, but he's only been available for 1/3 of the season to date.       

Edit: Before I get clobbered about the goaltending, I agree they've been bad but I expected a lot more out of the veteran D who, minus Smith, have all proven to be good players at this level.  I typically don't get on Smith because we all know he's a placeholder and only in the lineup due to injury, but holy hell, he's been worse than I could have ever imagined.    

I agree with this. The consistency hasn't been there at all.