2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

22 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I never heard a whistle on that, players shouldn't just assume. 

I didn't either, but it did seem like the goalie had the puck for a VERY long time, so I feel like there probably should have been a whistle. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I didn't either, but it did seem like the goalie had the puck for a VERY long time, so I feel like there probably should have been a whistle. 

There's no Tampa players around the goalie though and that's exactly why there shouldn't have been a whistle, ref made the right call to me... 

Screenshot_20231231_225135_YouTube.thumb.jpg.85cb354b5ac988d63c2d0932e31081a1.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

That’s on the refs IMO.   Most of the guys on both teams stopped playing.  

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I never heard a whistle on that, players shouldn't just assume. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

There's no Tampa players around the goalie though and that's exactly why there shouldn't have been a whistle, ref made the right call to me... 

Screenshot_20231231_225135_YouTube.thumb.jpg.85cb354b5ac988d63c2d0932e31081a1.jpg

I agree with @Satans Hockey.  Unless you hear a whistle, you shouldn’t stop playing.

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Is it me, or do we live in the absolute worst era of pro sports officiating there has ever been? Officiating across all sports today is as bad as I can ever remember.

I think they have a shortage in the NHL iirc. Can't speak for across all sports. 

I didn't notice it too much last year. This year it's been bad. So bad that I think injuries are starting to pop up that can be blamed on poor officiating and they lose control of games too easily. 

Wrong & missed calls left and right. There were a few questionable calls in the World Juniors this year so far too. Just baffling decisions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Is it me, or do we live in the absolute worst era of pro sports officiating there has ever been? Officiating across all sports today is as bad as I can ever remember.

Is it that or that missed calls in the past weren't caught because there wasn't a platform where you can rewind and look at stuff on your own like YouTube, phones, rewinding live TV, etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

In this photo, there are no players around or near the puck. I've seen refs tell me that I can't freeze the puck because there are not opposing players around me. 

However, in the photo, that ref in the corner has his hand up to his mouth. Was he about to whistle and just never did and that's when he sees the puck come from Montambeault

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Is it that or that missed calls in the past weren't caught because there wasn't a platform where you can rewind and look at stuff on your own like YouTube, phones, rewinding live TV, etc.

Not just replay, but just general indecisiveness on the field/ice/court. Like in football, refs throw flags, then have a 10 minute discussion after throwing the flag to decide if the flag needed to be thrown. In the Lions-Cowboys game on Saturday, a ref literally cost the Lions the game because he got confused as to which lineman reported as an eligible receiver on a two point conversion that would’ve won Detroit the game, and called a penalty on the guy. Turns out the guy who caught the two pointer HAD reported eligible, but the ref literally thought he was someone else, so the Lions lose. It just seems like general incompetence among the officiating community at large is worse than ever. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Wtf is going on in Winnipeg?! No one is going to games. That’s not good. 

No excuses either.  The team is having a very good year and the franchise ponied up big-time to keep both Hellebuyck and Scheifele.  It's a right-now team in the thick of its competitive window.

Speaking of Hellebuyck, he's really on a roll right now:  .937 save% over his last 15 games.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No excuses either.  The team is having a very good year and the franchise ponied up big-time to keep both Hellebuyck and Scheifele.  It's a right-now team in the thick of its competitive window.

Speaking of Hellebuyck, he's really on a roll right now:  .937 save% over his last 15 games.  

I was reading some of the comments, and the sentiment seems to be that Jets tickets are really expensive. But that’s not much of an excuse when you have a good team like they do, and you’re the only game in town.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I watched the Winter Classic and Joey D'Accord is on a roll right now too. The Kraken shut out VGK and he's on some kind of .940+ tear in his last few games too. 

Just have to be patient and keep our eyes on other goalies around the league imo. While we are being patient one of our might truly start to bounceback and some other names might start to emerge that we don't usually bring up as goalies we'd like to bring in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I watched the Winter Classic and Joey D'Accord is on a roll right now too. The Kraken shut out VGK and he's on some kind of .940+ tear in his last few games too. 

Just have to be patient and keep our eyes on other goalies around the league imo. While we are being patient one of our might truly start to bounceback and some other names might start to emerge that we don't usually bring up as goalies we'd like to bring in. 

Supposedly, the whole "McLeod trade talks are heating up" banter was just that.

BUT, I get the feeling that Fitz might be re-considering his whole "save money on the goalies and have more to dish out to other positions" stance.  The Devils got incredible performances from both Schmid and VV in relation to what both of them were making, and Fitz wanted to pay both Bratt and Timo (and some others, like Haula), so he decided not to sink any more money into his goaltending than he did in 2022-23.

But unfortunately it's looking like that decision (which I absolutely understood at the time, especially since nothing pointed to VV ever falling off to this extent) isn't going to work out.  And I agree and I think Fitz is trying to avoid overpaying for someone who ultimately won't move the needle THAT much.  

Would be nice if Daws can at least start to stabilize the position, but that's an awful lot to ask of a kid who's just getting back into the flow AND is up here partly because Schmid wasn't able to build off last season.  I get the feeling that Fitz is going to make a move prior to the deadline, to bring in a goalie...almost begrudgingly, because I don't think he really wants to.  But VV is forcing his hand.  And yeah, I think it might wind up being a name that we weren't at all expecting. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And yeah, I think it might wind up being a name that we weren't at all expecting. 

My hope is he would be aiming high, as far as a young goalie. Askarov is the guy I’d love to land somehow. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Wtf is going on in Winnipeg?! No one is going to games. That’s not good. 

And their team is pretty good too. That's pretty pathetic by their fanbase. 

I'm surprised Isles, Caps, and Flyers are low. They're also having good seasons. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

My hope is he would be aiming high, as far as a young goalie. Askarov is the guy I’d love to land somehow. 

Just keep in mind that teams with either an immediate legit upgrade or potential young stud is absolutely asking for Casey right off the bat, and that would be as part of a package.  Devils are gonna have to give to get here, if Fitz is trying to do more than add a maybe-type (like Markstrom, Allen or Gibson).  Askarov ain't comin' cheap, and trading him would mean that Nashville would have to pay up after next season to keep Saros in their fold.  Can't help but think that in a perfect world, they hope to move Saros and see Askarov be the guy who takes over for several years.

You almost wonder if Fitz would've been better off "reaching" at #7 for Askarov instead of Holtz back in 2020, but you can spend all day lamenting past drafts.  Devils had a bunch of needs at the time they made their selections, including potential Top 6 forwards.        

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was reading some of the comments, and the sentiment seems to be that Jets tickets are really expensive. But that’s not much of an excuse when you have a good team like they do, and you’re the only game in town.

There was a whole thread about this on HF a bit ago but the general consensus from Jets fans that I remember was that the people in the city are really not doing well financially and entertainment is the first thing that gets cut when people are struggling / people who gave up their tickets because of covid restrictions and decided to never come back / the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian football league being a cheaper sports alternative. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

There was a whole thread about this on HF a bit ago but the general consensus from Jets fans that I remember was that the people in the city are really not doing well financially and entertainment is the first thing that gets cut when people are struggling / people who gave up their tickets because of covid restrictions and decided to never come back / the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian football league being a cheaper sports alternative. 

That was actually part of the reason the Rockies struggled with attendance back in the day…the economy in Denver was bad enough that people only had so much to spend on sporting events, and once Arthur Imperatore bought the team and talked of moving it to New Jersey, people decided to allocate their limited sports funds towards the Nuggets and Broncos.

The Blue Bombers went 14-4 this season and made it to the Gray Cup championship game (but lost), but the CFL season goes from June through November.  That’s a LOT of NHL season left for the Jets to take over the town…but yeah, if the fans just don’t have the disposable income to spend…

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just keep in mind that teams with either an immediate legit upgrade or potential young stud is absolutely asking for Casey right off the bat, and that would be as part of a package.  Devils are gonna have to give to get here, if Fitz is trying to do more than add a maybe-type (like Markstrom, Allen or Gibson).  Askarov ain't comin' cheap, and trading him would mean that Nashville would have to pay up after next season to keep Saros in their fold.  Can't help but think that in a perfect world, they hope to move Saros and see Askarov be the guy who takes over for several years.

You almost wonder if Fitz would've been better off "reaching" at #7 for Askarov instead of Holtz back in 2020, but you can spend all day lamenting past drafts.  Devils had a bunch of needs at the time they made their selections, including potential Top 6 forwards.        

See that would be something that would get me thinking. 

That's kind of why I am okay with being patient. A lot can happen between now and the trade deadline. 

I think it only makes sense today to maybe always carry at least 3 goalies after the roster limitation is lifted. 

17 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I really hope Fitz doesn't ship out McLeod for Gibson. Bringing in a 30 year old goalie is very risky, doubly so for this team. 

I hate the idea of letting McLeod go for any reason that's not related to off-ice stuff.  He's exactly the type of do everything depth player championship teams have.   Besides, at this point he's probably the 5th or 6th most important forward on the team.     

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I would give up Casey in a second for a long term solution in net.  I know everyone is super high on him right now but he's still just a prospect at a position of depth for our organization.   

In 2020, I think we were all still pretty high on Blackwood potentially becoming the guy.  As you said, we still had too many needs at the time to go full boom or bust on a goalie that high.      

• Like 2