2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

broken tib fib for Sergachev, god that sounds agonizing

My buddy who is a die-hard lightning fan said that pretty much puts a nail in the coffin for the Bolt's playoff chances. They're still very much in the thick of it right now, but they have a steep hill to climb.  Two tough losses the last two games, most teams have a couple games in hand on them, and without Sergachev they're going to be vulnerable on D.

29 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

My buddy who is a die-hard lightning fan said that pretty much puts a nail in the coffin for the Bolt's playoff chances. They're still very much in the thick of it right now, but they have a steep hill to climb.  Two tough losses the last two games, most teams have a couple games in hand on them, and without Sergachev they're going to be vulnerable on D.

Until Vasi gets hurt or falls from grace, I won’t count them out but definitely see the danger they’re in

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Canucks blew a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period and lose to Detroit in OT. That team is a fraud, can’t wait to see them get bounced out in the first round.

At least the Flames beat the Isles…

Playoff meltdowns by Canadian teams with high expectations are the best.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Playoff meltdowns by Canadian teams with high expectations are the best.   

I like some of the Leafs players, but it’s undeniably funny watching them get bounced in the early rounds of the postseason every year.

42 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Canucks blew a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period and lose to Detroit in OT. That team is a fraud, can’t wait to see them get bounced out in the first round.

At least the Flames beat the Isles…

You think the Canucks are a fraud?  I haven’t paid a ton of attention to them (aside from noticing how gaudy their record and goal differential are), but they seem pretty stacked.  Of course we know teams like that don’t always get it done come playoff time (see last year’s Bruins), but what do you think they’re lacking?  I can’t say that I’m fully sold on Demko.

On 2/10/2024 at 3:36 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You think the Canucks are a fraud?  I haven’t paid a ton of attention to them (aside from noticing how gaudy their record and goal differential are), but they seem pretty stacked.  Of course we know teams like that don’t always get it done come playoff time (see last year’s Bruins), but what do you think they’re lacking?  I can’t say that I’m fully sold on Demko.

"Fraud" is probably too harsh but I feel like they're playing well over their heads - they have the highest shooting% in the league and 3rd highest save%. Their underlying numbers suggest a team that is closer to above average, not favorites to win the President's Trophy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nmigliore said:

"Fraud" is probably too harsh but I feel like they're playing well over their heads - they have the highest shooting% in the league and 3rd highest save%. Their underlying numbers suggest a team that is closer to above average, not favorites to win the President's Trophy. 

Yeah their shooting% is a fair point…they are leaps and bounds ahead of pretty much everyone else.  They obviously do have some nice talent but are also likely due to see some regression.

And yeah, re:  the team save%, I mentioned it but I’m not sold on Demko. He’s been good again over his last 13 GP (.921 save%).  The prior 16 games he was at .899.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If the Coyotes end up leaving Arizona, shame on the NHL.  The Cardinals, Diamondbacks, and Suns have all managed to make it work.  You can't say AZ and/or the Phoenix area isn't a sports town. 

And they’ve had how many chances now to make it work, like 457? Seems like they’ve done everything possible to keep the Coyotes there. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If the Coyotes end up leaving Arizona, shame on the NHL.  The Cardinals, Diamondbacks, and Suns have all managed to make it work.  You can't say AZ and/or the Phoenix area isn't a sports town. 

On that note, is there a reason why the Coyotes can’t use the Footprint Center?  I must have missed that facet of this.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s really not configured for hockey. 

Neither was the Barclays Center, but the Isles managed to get out of the Mosoleum and stayed on Long Island.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

And they’ve had how many chances now to make it work, like 457? Seems like they’ve done everything possible to keep the Coyotes there. 

I dunno, but what has the NHL really done to help?

7 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

On that note, is there a reason why the Coyotes can’t use the Footprint Center?  I must have missed that facet of this.

That's where they originally played when they moved to Phoenix but as mentioned it wasn't built for hockey so the one end had no view of the goal.  Also, the Suns "owned" the building and took a lot of the suite and concession money which forced the original move to the cotton field.  

The view was limited, the enthusiasm wasn't

• Like 1