2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

He’s the only reason their broadcast is bearable. 

I wish he could somehow slew-foot Messier as they walk into the studio together

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

At some point they’ll probably need to jettison Skinner but other than that, the Sabres have a really nice balance sheet.   

If all goes according to plan, gotta think Luke and Nemec will be signing for something similar combined, when their times come.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If all goes according to plan, gotta think Luke and Nemec will be signing for something similar combined, when their times come.  

I would not be surprised if we see LHughes and Nemec signing for deals that are similar. LHughes probably goes first, but I kind of view the Dahlin/Power contracts as representative of both of their ceilings. 

Dahlin >> LHughes, probably looking at a ceiling of about 11m if he develops into a ppg defenseman. 80 points per 82 games kind of sh!t. That's why they went so high for Dahlin. 

Power >> Nemec, probably looking at a 8-9m ceiling for him too once he hits his prime. Maybe not as much production as Hughes and may always be chasing Hughes on the stat list, but he could develop into an 11m/year defenseman too if he gets to a ppg. 60-70 points a year from the backend? Then he'll be getting about that 8-9m/year. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I would not be surprised if we see LHughes and Nemec signing for deals that are similar. LHughes probably goes first, but I kind of view the Dahlin/Power contracts as representative of both of their ceilings. 

Dahlin >> LHughes, probably looking at a ceiling of about 11m if he develops into a ppg defenseman. 80 points per 82 games kind of sh!t. That's why they went so high for Dahlin. 

Power >> Nemec, probably looking at a 8-9m ceiling for him too once he hits his prime. Maybe not as much production as Hughes and may always be chasing Hughes on the stat list, but he could develop into an 11m/year defenseman too if he gets to a ppg. 60-70 points a year from the backend? Then he'll be getting about that 8-9m/year. 

Dahlin did have a 3-year/$6 million AAV deal in between his ELC and this new deal that will kick in next season…I get the feeling that Luke and Nemec will get big money right off the bat, following their ELCs.  At least that’s still two years away for Luke, and at least three for Nemec.

17 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Vancouver absolutely decimated Edmonton 8-1. Ouch

Boeser with four goals no less.

Only one game, but man does it feel like the Oilers somehow always find ways to get in their own way.  Always something with them.

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

The national medias favorite foolproof solution to our goaltending woes posted a sweet .810 sv% last night in a loss to the Flames.    

Speaking of which...man will I NOT miss all of the various writers and prognosticators constantly trying to outdo each other in basically making up rumors and using the ol' "sources close to [insert team here]" line in an attempt to back them up.  That crap just gets REALLY old around mid-July.

I get it, not much going on once most of the UFAs sign, but it's basically "Well this team might need this, and this team has a guy that makes sense, so let's just link them together and try to make it sound like something can happen any second!"  All of that makes the offseason feel even LONGER, it really does. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Boeser with four goals no less.

Only one game, but man does it feel like the Oilers somehow always find ways to get in their own way.  Always something with them.

Their defense still sucks. You have Mattias Ekholm as the brightest defensive defenseman that EDM has (huge trade deadline pick up) and I believe he missed the first game of the year due to injury. You pull him out of the lineup and they turn into the Oilers of two years ago.

Miles Wood gets his first as a Av last night. An ENG, but it still counts. 

Edited by RizzMB30

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of which...man will I NOT miss all of the various writers and prognosticators constantly trying to outdo each other in basically making up rumors and using the ol' "sources close to [insert team here]" line in an attempt to back them up.  That crap just gets REALLY old around mid-July.

I get it, not much going on once most of the UFAs sign, but it's basically "Well this team might need this, and this team has a guy that makes sense, so let's just link them together and try to make it sound like something can happen any second!"  All of that makes the offseason feel even LONGER, it really does. 

My qualm there is that most pundits seem to hold the two opinions of, "Devils goaltending could be better/it's a weakness that they need to improve on" and "Vanecek was great last year/Schmid came in and saved them in tough playoff series."

3 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/lafreniere-kakko-off-to-fast-start-for-new-york-rangers

media kissing the Rangers butt earlier than normal this year I see. It’s literally been 1 game

Heh heh you should read Larry Brooks...he basically spent the whole preseason ripping Lafreniere (and has been plenty critical of Panarin at times) and after one game he couldn't gush about the new Lafreneire/Panarin/Chytil line enough.

I saw the highlights and yeah, they had a nice game.  But geez, it was one friggin' game.  

So guess the Rangers aren’t quite so beastly…they lose 5-3 to the BJs.

• Like 1