2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

19 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

That's rough

A former 3OA pick that looks like it might ultimately not work out (Montreal is already his second team), but he was starting to show some signs of producing as a Canadien.  Guess we’ll see how he bounces back from this.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

CD#9 posted that in another thread (Devils - Panthers GDT).

The giveaway that landed him on the bench was classic Severson...and why he's not a Top 4 on a good team.  He never EVER learns from his mistakes.  Still making rookie mistakes after playing for YEARS in the NHL.  At least it ain't the Devils who signed up for eight more years of that.

I think he is a good second pair defenseman to play with left handed Marino or other good mobile defensive defenseman. His deal was from the actual market price and I think with time it will look like modern 5.5 mil deals for second pair defensemen. I don’t know when this deal will start to age badly. 6 years after or 4 years after. 
He could be a good devil for us. But it was too much with Dougie, Marino, Nemec, now Casey and him. Marino is a better RD for second pair, cheaper, and Luke will cover most of Severson advantages soon on the left side. Nemec will do it on the right side. But still I think he was good enough for minor role here.

im happy we didn’t invested in Graves. I didn’t like him a lot, even if he was okayish, he wasn’t really good defensive defenseman or offensive defenseman or transitional defenseman. He was good in puck battles, but his decision making in many situations wasn’t good. I think he is much more good third pair defenseman. And in situation, where he is playing major role, like he did for devils in his first year, he is much worser, than Severson. 

One should play 20 min, not 23-24 min, second one should play 14-16 min, not 18-22 min. Both are playing more major role than they should. I really like we’re are not the team that made decision to invest in them. 

• Like 1

@Guadana I talked about this in another thread…I have no issue with Seves’ nor Graves’ AAV…those numbers were in line with expectations, given UFA overpayments and a thin UFA market for defensemen.  I also would’ve understood 5 years for Seves; if Columbus had signed him to that length at his current AAV, I wouldn’t have ripped them for it.

It’s the 8 years that I’ll never understand.  He’s just way too flawed to give a cornerstone-type term to.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@Guadana I talked about this in another thread…I have no issue with Seves’ nor Graves’ AAV…those numbers were in line with expectations, given UFA overpayments and a thin UFA market for defensemen.  I also would’ve understood 5 years for Seves; if Columbus had signed him to that length at his current AAV, I wouldn’t have ripped them for it.

It’s the 8 years that I’ll never understand.  He’s just way to flawed to give a cornerstone-type term to.  

Desperate GMs do some crazy things and I’m guessing the only way to entice Severson to agree to pass up UFA and take a sign and trade to Columbus was to offer max term.   

Sadly, Jarmo is thinking there’s no difference to him between 5 years and 8 years if he’s handed his walking papers any soon.   If he does survive (he shouldn’t) he’ll deal with it then.   

Edited by Lateralous

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Desperate GMs do some crazy things and I’m guessing the only way to entice Severson to agree to pass up UFA and take a sign and trade to Columbus was to offer max term.   

Sadly, Jarmo is thinking there’s no difference to him between 5 years and 8 years if he’s handed his walking papers any soon.   If he does survive (he shouldn’t) he’ll deal with it then.   

I suspect that even if they had offered six years @ $6.5 million AAV, he would've signed. 

Yeah you are 100% correct in that sometimes GMs do indeed do crazy things; the Seves deal is EXACTLY the kind of contract that perpetually bad teams sign players to.  The hit itself will obviously become less odious as the years unfold, and as long as Seves' overall game doesn't fall off a cliff, the BJs can probably find a way to move it in time.  I know he has a NTC for the first four years, but then he has four years where he can submit a list of teams that he doesn't want to be traded to (20 in Year 5, 12 in Year 6 and beyond).

So at least there's some outs, but still would never want to be committed to 8 years of Seves.  Especially with decline years very likely to be a part of the equation.

On 10/17/2023 at 1:25 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as Devils that I REALLY wanted gone...I definitely got sick of Sean Burke's act, especially when he told the fans who weren't behind him (after multiple lousy seasons) that they could "Go to hell."  Steve Thomas was plenty disappointing, especially compared to the player he'd been prior to coming here.  Seves definitely drove me crazy with the brain-dead gaffes that never truly went away (though obviously he did some good things while here).  I remember calling Lovejoy "Killjoy" on a number of occasions.

Steve Thomas............................my least liked Devils player of all time

Well, him and Tikkanen, but Tikkanen was only here like 8 games

On 10/17/2023 at 7:56 PM, Lateralous said:

There may be some recency bias there but by the end of last year, he had to go.  

I understand, I just held a different view

On 10/17/2023 at 8:21 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

FTFY

Ok, what the heck is FTFY, lol?

FTFY = Fixed That For You

Yeah Tikkanen just wanted no part of the Devils.  The funny thing is that Lou gave up a third-rounder for him and somehow managed to flip him for a second-rounder.  Go figure.

• Like 1

I’m definitely not gonna bet against Ovechkin just yet but man imagine if he just ran straight into the decline wall and became one of those guys who lost it seemingly overnight?  Hard to imagine.

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m definitely not gonna bet against Ovechkin just yet but man imagine if he just ran straight into the decline wall and became one of those guys who lost it seemingly overnight?  Hard to imagine.

Maybe I'm off base on this but I feel like Ovi will just keep playing until he gets that record, even if he just signs with the caps on a cheap 1 year deal once his contract is up and just plays the powerplay. 

32 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Maybe I'm off base on this but I feel like Ovi will just keep playing until he gets that record, even if he just signs with the caps on a cheap 1 year deal once his contract is up and just plays the powerplay. 

I've often heard it mentioned that he has a handshake agreement with the Owner that they don't rebuild until he gets the record.   

I know he's done a lot for that franchise but just watching a guy hang on to set a record like that while the team is basically in purgatory would be unwatchable to me but I guess it sells tickets 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I've often heard it mentioned that he has a handshake agreement with the Owner that they don't rebuild until he gets the record. 

If true, that’s bullsh!t. That’s putting an individual ahead of the franchise’s best interest. That would piss me off if I was a Caps fan.

8 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I realize they’re not always on a line anymore but the “Kids are Alright” trio pulled a combined 0 points and a -5 tonight in a 4-1 loss to Preds that had two total even strength goals.    You hate to see it! 

Oh it gets better than this.

Those three have combined for three points so far this season; Lafreniere has the only goal among them.

Shesterkin also has an .879 save% in the early going…he’s started all four games.

And the early word based on these four games is that Blake Wheeler looks like he’s finished.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh it gets better than this.

Those three have combined for three points so far this season; Lafreniere has the only goal among them.

Shesterkin also has an .879 save% in the early going…he’s started all four games.

And the early word based on these four games is that Blake Wheeler looks like he’s finished.

AND, since it was the first goal of the team’s season, people wrote off his atrocious preseason and lack of production saying he “has figured it out. Proving the preseason doesn’t matter.”

Hell even Friedman and Marek made it a talking point in Monday’s 32 Thoughts

13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

If true, that’s bullsh!t. That’s putting an individual ahead of the franchise’s best interest. That would piss me off if I was a Caps fan.

They got their cup, I bet Leonsis will say he wants him to get the record as a Cap.

I bet fans will struggle with the decision like we did when Brodeur retired instead of entertaining ideas of trying to continue with a different franchise. He would never do such a thing…

• Like 1

Camera flashed to Ovi the other night playing Send (I know it was just once) & just looked disinterested. Here we are new coach, system etc.I just can't get into this. Caps are in a tough spot.w/ semi rebuild. I wouldn't be shocked if he pulled a Kovy & retired early. 

15 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I’ve always liked ovi, as a hockey fan how could you not? I don’t see him just falling off a cliff out of no where, not happening. 

Yeah like I said, I wouldn't bet against him yet.  It's only been three games.

But sometimes guys do lose it seemingly overnight.  I was more saying imagine if it turned out that Ovechkin actually turned out to be one of those guys, especially after having shown little signs of decline previously.  EVERYONE who watches this sport pretty much had him eventually passing Gretzky on the all-time goals scored list...and why wouldn't they?  He's scored 92 goals in the last two seasons alone...having missed 14 games to boot.  

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

AND, since it was the first goal of the team’s season, people wrote off his atrocious preseason and lack of production saying he “has figured it out. Proving the preseason doesn’t matter.”

Hell even Friedman and Marek made it a talking point in Monday’s 32 Thoughts

I mentioned it at the time but Larry Brooks couldn't gush about these "new" Rangers enough after their season-opening win.  So much for that.

I wonder how long it is before Ranger fans start to clamor for the Kid Line to be put back together:  "Duuuuuh, dey were one of da best lines in hockey last ye-ah!"  They didn't do sh!t from late February on, really...but I don't expect the NHL's dumbest fanbase to remember that.

But some good news for the Ranger faithful...PWM is now one point short of 100 for his career, and Lafreniere needs 8 more to reach that.  So I'm sure we'll see the Rangers (massively over-)celebrating those "achievements".  They've only needed 463 games combined so far to get this far 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I mentioned it at the time but Larry Brooks couldn't gush about these "new" Rangers enough after their season-opening win.  So much for that.

I wonder how long it is before Ranger fans start to clamor for the Kid Line to be put back together:  "Duuuuuh, dey were one of da best lines in hockey last ye-ah!"  They didn't do sh!t from late February on, really...but I don't expect the NHL's dumbest fanbase to remember that.

But some good news for the Ranger faithful...PWM is now one point short of 100 for his career, and Lafreniere needs 8 more to reach that.  So I'm sure we'll see the Rangers (massively over-)celebrating those "achievements".  They've only needed 463 games combined so far to get this far 🤣

I love your rangers fan impression, everything spoken like a complete moron

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, nessus said:

I love your rangers fan impression, everything spoken like a complete moron

Pretty much sums it up.  They're as dumb as they come.  

I know it's early as fvck but I love the fact that sprinkling that killer youth throughout the Top 6 is paying no dividends at all.  

• Like 1