2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, StarDew said:

Ruff never gives Smith the bench or press box. He has been treating Smith special since before Miller injury. 

Smith was always signed to be 7th guy here, but just enough keeps happening that he winds up playing far more often than intended.

Last season it was Bahl taking a while to claim a spot; once he finally did, Smith started getting scratched more.  He played in just three playoff games last year.

Miller was brought in to be the Nemec stopgap (and to push Smith to that 7th spot where he belongs), but we saw what happened there.

That being said, yeah, Lindy probably thinks more of Smith than we ever will.  Another coach might have been more willing to at least give Foote one game, just to see what he might bring.  

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Having read Lindy’s “tough love” approach with Holtz, I picture Lindy having a 17-year-old son who just got his license about a week ago.  The kid is traveling on some three-lane highway, doing the speed limit in the center lane, driving just fine.

The motorist immediately to his right starts texting and loses control, so he winds up slamming into the kid’s car, and that sends the kid’s car careening into the left lane, where it strikes another vehicle.

The poor kid gets home, and Lindy immediately demands that his son hand over his license, and not to expect drive again anytime soon.

The obviously perplexed kid asks “Why?!”

Lindy:  “When you learn how to hit less cars, maybe I’ll let you drive again!”

• Like 3

Lindy has gotten a lot of praise from young talent on the team. Holtz is the only one that has come through that doesn't seem to be able to break through. I don't really see this the way you guys are--  he has to be better. This is the NHL, it's high skill, high standards, professional sports league with not a lot of room to feel bad for players. He was doing really well with McLeod and Bastian before they had to move things around for Nico and Jack, so if there is one thing I might put on Lindy is maybe Holtz isn't being put in the best position to succeed(maybe out of necessity due to injury). I admit I don't have the answers and am not sure what that looks like or how Lidy should do it, though. Holtz has gotten plenty of time playing with a lot of different guys on different lines and the only time he has put together a stretch of games where he looked good was with Bastian and McLeod. Lindy seems to think he has the talent that he can, and should be, seizing this opportunity with Jack and Nico out to show what he's got.

Other point-- a lot of guys are fighting it right now and that also can't be helping Holtz. I always hate it when the entire team struggles and people point at one guy and expect him to buck the trend. People did that with Hughes and I never got why when the entire team is sucking the 18 year old kid is the one that gets pointed to like it's on him to be better, not just for the team but just in general. It is a bit chicken and egg in that sense and never found that fair. Usually only the best players can find a way to excel when their team is bad. It's gotta be like trying to tread water with bricks tied to your legs(or some better analogy I do not have the talent to come up with).

Things are just not clicking like you would want right now.

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Lindy has gotten a lot of praise from young talent on the team. Holtz is the only one that has come through that doesn't seem to be able to break through. I don't really see this the way you guys are--  he has to be better. This is the NHL, it's high skill, high standards, professional sports league with not a lot of room to feel bad for players. He was doing really well with McLeod and Bastian before they had to move things around for Nico and Jack, so if there is one thing I might put on Lindy is maybe Holtz isn't being put in the best position to succeed(maybe out of necessity due to injury). I admit I don't have the answers and am not sure what that looks like or how Lidy should do it, though. Holtz has gotten plenty of time playing with a lot of different guys on different lines and the only time he has put together a stretch of games where he looked good was with Bastian and McLeod. Lindy seems to think he has the talent that he can, and should be, seizing this opportunity with Jack and Nico out to show what he's got.

Other point-- a lot of guys are fighting it right now and that also can't be helping Holtz. I always hate it when the entire team struggles and people point at one guy and expect him to buck the trend. People did that with Hughes and I never got why when the entire team is sucking the 18 year old kid is the one that gets pointed to like it's on him to be better, not just for the team but just in general. It is a bit chicken and egg in that sense and never found that fair. Usually only the best players can find a way to excel when their team is bad. It's gotta be like trying to tread water with bricks tied to your legs(or some better analogy I do not have the talent to come up with).

Things are just not clicking like you would want right now.

I am a big Holtz supporter and my thoughts are that he didn’t look good last game. He deserved the low ice time. HOWEVER, it’s a chicken and egg scenario because did he not look because of bad play or because he’s stuck with guys like Tierney and Bastian (who has been complete sh!t since game 1)?

Holtz on the whole has looked good despite playing on the fourth line. But last game was no bueno by him. I do feel for him though in that he is the only one on the entire club with the short leash. You can’t do that with a young player all the time. They owe it to him after they botched his development last season.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, devlman said:

I am a big Holtz supporter and my thoughts are that he didn’t look good last game. He deserved the low ice time. HOWEVER, it’s a chicken and egg scenario because did he not look because of bad play or because he’s stuck with guys like Tierney and Bastian (who has been complete sh!t since game 1)?

Holtz on the whole has looked good despite playing on the fourth line. But last game was no bueno by him. I do feel for him though in that he is the only one on the entire club with the short leash. You can’t do that with a young player all the time. They owe it to him after they botched his development last season.

Agreed, we finally see progress out of Holtz, (scoring, generating offense doing okay in the defensive zones) all the things we've been begging for, and the second he has a down game with, like you said, weak linemates, Lindy drops the hammer on him.

No the kid isn't close to a finished product, and he still isn't playing to where we drafted him, but he's still young and needs to be given the chance to step up with actual scorers, not our 4th line.

Also, I'm probably one of the biggest Bastian supporters out there for the things that don't show up on the scoresheet, but man he hasn't looked great this year, at all. Meanwhile, his partner in crime (figuratively not literally), McLeod has stepped his game up when called upon.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I like getting Luke away from Smith, too. This is Lindy setting up both the youngsters for success. 

I like the idea of Smith being away from EVERYONE, but probably still another week or so at least from that.

Obviously things are what they are for the moment, but man it’s sad to see a lineup that looks like something out of preseason.  Miss ya Jack…miss ya Nico…

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Jack could meet the team in Pittsburgh, too.

Get healthy Jack, you’re still in the top 10 in league scoring! 

Where did you see the bolded?  Sure as hell sounds good to me!

17 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think this was due more to roster maneuvering…the IR placement is retroactive.  Would be nice to know where he stands though.  

• Like 2

"Of 53 goaltenders to play at least 250 minutes this season, only two own a lower high-danger save percentage than Vanecek: Jack Campbell and Joey Daccord. 

One is now an AHLer while the other is a career AHLer likely to head right back given his current play. 

The Devils are reluctantly putting more on Schmid’s plate as a byproduct of Vanecek’s struggles. The results are not great.

Although Schmid has looked solid at times, an .885 SV% and negative goals saved above expected output is not good enough for a team with Cup aspirations."

But Lindy . . . 

45 minutes ago, smelly said:

"Of 53 goaltenders to play at least 250 minutes this season, only two own a lower high-danger save percentage than Vanecek: Jack Campbell and Joey Daccord. 

One is now an AHLer while the other is a career AHLer likely to head right back given his current play. 

The Devils are reluctantly putting more on Schmid’s plate as a byproduct of Vanecek’s struggles. The results are not great.

Although Schmid has looked solid at times, an .885 SV% and negative goals saved above expected output is not good enough for a team with Cup aspirations."

But Lindy . . . 

If it was a case of both of them being softie machines and the rest of the team playing relatively well, I'd understand primarily getting on the goalies.

They have not been great this season so far, but it's not like the D hasn't factored into their struggles.  Way too many guys getting wide-open looks; given the level of personnel on D (minus Smith, who's simply a lost cause), that should not be happening as often as it is.  There's blame to go around.