2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

One other point:

This is from the Devils HF Board, so I can't vouch for it.  It also cites to another source that is not the person who told me (I don't even know who the Flames' goaltending coach is).  But here ya go:  

When I met the Flames goaltending coach in Boston last week he said the Devils were legit in on Markstrom. He said teams were kicking tires on Vladar too but know one offered the Flames enough for him so they are going to hold on to him and see if his value goes up. Both goalies aren't posting good numbers and Markstrom is already 33. We are better off just trying to run what we have and not give up assests for a potential slight upgrade in goal. Those assets are needed if we want to be a consistent playoff team the next few years with not a ton of cap space we were used to swimming in.

Guess I am not the only one "making things up".

Edited by smelly

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Just put Devils history, so annoying. Whatever records the Scouts or Rockies players have have to be so unimportant that nobody should give a sh!t. 

I admit it, I'm more of a "Franchise History" guy myself, in terms of that I want everyone in franchise history to be on the all-time leaderboard, as opposed to only Devils...ain't no Devils without the Scouts and Rockies, and obviously there were Scouts who played as Rockies and Rockies who played as Devils. 

But I'm guessing most fans see it more your way, and would rather see the Devils' history start right when it was announced that the Rockies were moving to New Jersey (even if a name hadn't yet been picked out).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I admit it, I'm more of a "Franchise History" guy myself, in terms of that I want everyone in franchise history to be on the all-time leaderboard, as opposed to only Devils...ain't no Devils without the Scouts and Rockies, and obviously there were Scouts who played as Rockies and Rockies who played as Devils. 

But I'm guessing most fans see it more your way, and would rather see the Devils' history start right when it was announced that the Rockies were moving to New Jersey (even if a name hadn't yet been picked out).  

Yeah I’m with SD; the Scouts and Rockies sh!t means nothing to me. This franchise began when it moved to NJ.

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I’m with SD; the Scouts and Rockies sh!t means nothing to me. This franchise began when it moved to NJ.

That’s cool; I don’t think of that as “right or wrong”…more to personal preference.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Slashing a guy on the arm is worse than chopping someone in the head? Absolute joke of a league. 

Yeah this was every bit the joke that I knew it would be.  Can’t say not having to watch Smith do something stupid at the worst possible time isn’t exactly a negative.

• Like 2

There is no longer room for reasonable disagreement -- even on this board.

The Devils need a goalie -- stat.

They are going to have to overpay.

They are going to have to give up assets that will hurt.

They are going to have to lose cap space they'd rather hold on to.

They are going to have to face the reality that the perfect option does not exist.

The only question now is, in light of these unavoidable truths, where does Fitz go?

The status quo is not an option.

Edited by smelly

16 minutes ago, smelly said:

They are going to have to face the reality that the perfect option does not exist.

The only question now is, in light of these realities, where does Fitz go?

I disagree. That is what this board is all about.

• Like 1

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

I disagree. That is what this board is all about.

Read carefully.

I didn't say there could be no disagreement.

I said that there could be no reasonable disagreement.

And your position, I am afraid, is indisputably no longer reasonable.

40 minutes ago, smelly said:

The only question now is, in light of these unavoidable truths, where does Fitz go?

With no cap space, there are limits to what options they have. And status quo is 100% percent an option. 

I think in your world, we drop Hamilton and sign a goaltender for the same price of his cap hit. Then when that goaltender trends downward, you'll be the first to hop off that bandwagon and say, "He gets paid too much. Why did Fitz do this?"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

With no cap space, there are limits to what options they have. And status quo is 100% percent an option. 

I think in your world, we drop Hamilton and sign a goaltender for the same price of his cap hit. Then when that goaltender trends downward, you'll be the first to hop off that bandwagon and say, "He gets paid too much. Why did Fitz do this?"

Fair enough. 

But Hamilton’s injury opened up more than enough space.  We don’t have to drop him. LITR him and if he’s healthy in the spring he doesn’t even count against cap in playoffs. 

And you can mark my words, I will not be criticizing Fitz for trying to save one of the few years that their window will realistically be open. 

The alternative is to do nothing because you are afraid of the downsides. Well it’s obvious now where that will lead. 

Edited by smelly

1 hour ago, smelly said:

Read carefully.

I didn't say there could be no disagreement.

I said that there could be no reasonable disagreement.

And your position, I am afraid, is indisputably no longer reasonable.

Well you said I couldn't reasonably disagree, and if my position is no longer reasonable then it must be unreasonable and that is allowed according to you. So I disagree.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Well you said I couldn't reasonably disagree, and if my position is no longer reasonable then it must be unreasonable and that is allowed according to you. So I disagree.

Ok. Let’s see if Fitz agrees with you or me. 

In the meantime I’m going to get back to cooking up more baseless goalie rumors. Cuz that’s what I do lol. 

Edited by smelly

1 hour ago, smelly said:

Not saying I agree, but I think it’s going to cost Casey. 

28 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

You quoted yourself and don't even fully agree lol.

Dude, that was an additional, related but separate thought. The only thing I was not taking a position on was giving up Casey. Obvious even to a kindergartner. 

Edited by smelly

7 hours ago, smelly said:

They don't have to do any of that. This team does not have to be in "all in" mode yet. We are still just entering our window of competitiveness.

I am totally against moving anything significant for a netminder over the age of 30.

More than willing to ride this season out withnwhat we have and look to address issues in the summer.

• Like 2