2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

At what point, if at all, does someone put there foot down on this?

Yeah I've been on Timo for much of the year since he was struggling even before he got hurt (and had that 'sh!t happens' reaction to being benched), but this is ridiculous - we're thirty games into the season...is this a case of surgery putting him out for the year and that's why they're loath to do anything?  This version of Timo is a net negative anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

They should put their foot down on it now. It’s clear this isn’t something that’s going away on its own.

For all we know, it could be something that might require surgery and one of the involved parties is nervous about a surgery or wants a second opinion. 

History and that huge drop in speed metrics says something is up. Just signed a big deal and I know the history is you sign a nice well-paid contract and something happens in year one. Dougie was hurt most of his Contract year one I believe. Happened to Palat. 

It's always something and I am confused on why the Devils decided to hush it up. I'm guessing one side wanted surgery and maybe Timo asked to see if they could wait and see instead. It's getting to the point where I'm worried he's got something lower body. While he seems more hesitant to shoot the puck, it doesn't seem like his shot is worse or hampered. Maybe it's just something that would be hard to fix via surgery too. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jagknife said:

One day, I’d like one of those cartoon X-rays that show you the inner workings of a human brain done to Lindy.

Is the hamster even on the wheel anymore? Is it just a skeleton, with cobwebs and tumbleweeds everywhere? Or is it Sponegbob with a coffee at the diner just waiting?

I’m sure people are going to be upset about Smith being back in, but honestly after seeing them get pushed around by the Ducks I kind of understand it. Especially against Philly. 

I just would have preferred Siegenthaler to come out instead of Miller. He’s more than earned a benching at this point. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I’m sure people are going to be upset about Smith being back in, but honestly after seeing them get pushed around by the Ducks I kind of understand it. Especially against Philly. 

I just would have preferred Siegenthaler to come out instead of Miller. He’s more than earned a benching at this point. 

Oh I’m not upset about Smith, shockingly

Bastian has been useless, Siegs is turning into Ken Klee, but Lindy takes out Miller who actually does things out there. He hasn’t been rewarded with a goal yet but he actually brings something.

its so damn annoying.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jagknife said:

One day, I’d like one of those cartoon X-rays that show you the inner workings of a human brain done to Lindy.

Is the hamster even on the wheel anymore? Is it just a skeleton, with cobwebs and tumbleweeds everywhere? Or is it Sponegbob with a coffee at the diner just waiting?

How can Lindy possibly know which lineups do or do not work, as he’s always changing them?  I’m sure he’s aware of fans’ criticism of his inability to make adjustments, but making changes for change’s sake is not an appropriate response to such rhetoric.

On a related note, why is Siegenthaler still playing after his sh!tfest against the Ducks?

• Like 2

Listening to Chiclets from last week, and before DJ Smith got fired, Marc Methot was talking about the guys love playing for him and that he’s a good players coach and all that, but clearly, since, that was not enough for him to retain his job.

I get Ruff is adored by the players but at what point does our meddling with mediocracy with THIS freaking lineup become enough?

There are problems across the board, but when does leadership step in and say “okay, this isn’t working, we need a change…”

I know, been asked a bunch, nothing of true substance by me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Listening to Chiclets from last week, and before DJ Smith got fired, Marc Methot was talking about the guys love playing for him and that he’s a good players coach and all that, but clearly, since, that was not enough for him to retain his job.

I get Ruff is adored by the players but at what point does our meddling with mediocracy with THIS freaking lineup become enough?

There are problems across the board, but when does leadership step in and say “okay, this isn’t working, we need a change…”

The team has been doing better as of late, they aren't completely in the basement, and they've been dealing with non-stop injuries. It is near certain nothing will be happening with Ruff anytime soon so better to just accept things as they are.

We're near the end if December and it feels like we've gotten full 60 min efforts maybe a handful of games. That's just... Whatever.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

The team has been doing better as of late, they aren't completely in the basement, and they've been dealing with non-stop injuries. It is near certain nothing will be happening with Ruff anytime soon so better to just accept things as they are.

We're near the end if December and it feels like we've gotten full 60 min efforts maybe a handful of games. That's just... Whatever.

That’s the thing though, they’re mediocre and not giving 60 on a given night.

We have aspirations of a cup in the next few years. Playoffs should not have been a problem, even with injuries, and yet here we are, begging for answers or some kind of change (trade/coach(es)/something)

Manning? System? Ideology? You name it, they need something to get motivated before it’s too late. I’m not trying to be hyperbolic, but we’ve discussed how blowing all 6 points to inferior opponents could very well be costly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

That’s the thing though, they’re mediocre and not giving 60 on a given night.

We have aspirations of a cup in the next few years. Playoffs should not have been a problem, even with injuries, and yet here we are, begging for answers or some kind of change (trade/coach(es)/something)

Manning? System? Ideology? You name it, they need something to get motivated before it’s too late. I’m not trying to be hyperbolic, but we’ve discussed how blowing all 6 points to inferior opponents could very well be costly.

Sure, we want better. Preaching to the choir. Look around the league at how bad sh!t has had to get for teams to make a coaching change. Fitz love Ruff...I just don't see it happening.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jagknife said:

This is kind of what I mean when I say it's gonna be a long-year for Lindy-haters. Sounds like a lot of hands being thrown up in the air in frustration over things you can't really control. It's why blame gets heaped on this coaching staff over and over again. 

The answer to your question is evidenced by Fitz's actions or lack of action.  I would bet money that Lindy's job was still very secure even when we were slumping. He was correctly identifying the issues that he saw and he really didn't get the replacement level offense that the team needed during the last little slump with Hughes and Hischier out. The team defense was horrible and the goalies suffered right behind that team defense. First thing hockey analysts said was "Well we told ya so everybody. The goaltending was a huge question mark and look had bad it is. This team would be in a different place had they went out and acquired a known quantity that is better than what they have. They should have improved that part of their roster and they wouldn't be in this mess."

Lindy came out and defended the goalies and a week later, Fitz came out and said the exact same thing on NJ.com. Said, "Hey, yeah it's bad now and we can't get a save, but the defense as a whole has to give our goalies a chance. Defense and team defense as a whole needed to be better" 

I think Lindy staying on the same page with Fitz through and through, especially outwardly toward the media helped him keep his job and correctly identifying the issues the team was facing during that slump meant management/ownership was willing to tough it out with him and roll the dice on the team bouncing back. Like others have mentioned, maybe Lindy had a another week or two of us sucking and there probably would have been more talks about firing, but I highly doubt it ever came up in those discussions even when it was looking baaaad. Maybe even the fact that he rarely seemed to place responsibility on not having the teams top centers available for a period of time as to why they were slumping. 

I just don't really buy the idea that Lindy is one of the problems, even during our little slump. I'll definitely entertain CR's argument that he's not a good enough coach to go all the way and win a cup because there's some evidence based on Lindy's coaching history/record, but I think I just disagree and am not there yet at all. I'd maybe get there if we had 3-5 straight playoff runs where we can't get out of the 1st round or something ala the Leafs, but that's not what we are talking about yet, we're still at, "Can this team even make playoffs again and repeat that performance?". 

Edited by RizzMB30

13 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

This is kind of what I mean when I say it's gonna be a long-year for Lindy-haters. Sounds like a lot of hands being thrown up in the air in frustration over things you can't really control. It's why blame gets heaped on this coaching staff over and over again. 

The answer to your question is evidenced by Fitz's actions or lack of action.  I would bet money that Lindy's job was still very secure even when we were slumping. He was correctly identifying the issues that he saw and he really didn't get the replacement level offense that the team needed during the last little slump with Hughes and Hischier out. The team defense was horrible and the goalies suffered right behind that team defense. First thing hockey analysts said was "Well we told ya so everybody. The goaltending was a huge question mark and look had bad it is. This team would be in a different place had they went out and acquired a known quantity that is better than what they have. They should have improved that part of their roster and they wouldn't be in this mess."

Lindy came out and defended the goalies and a week later, Fitz came out and said the exact same thing on NJ.com. Said, "Hey, yeah it's bad now and we can't get a save, but the defense as a whole has to give our goalies a chance. Defense and team defense as a whole needed to be better" 

I think Lindy staying on the same page with Fitz through and through, especially outwardly toward the media helped him keep his job and correctly identifying the issues the team was facing during that slump meant management/ownership was willing to tough it out with him and roll the dice on the team bouncing back. Like others have mentioned, maybe Lindy had a another week or two of us sucking and there probably would have been more talks about firing, but I highly doubt it ever came up in those discussions even when it was looking baaaad. Maybe even the fact that he rarely seemed to place responsibility on not having the teams top centers available for a period of time as to why they were slumping. 

I just don't really buy the idea that Lindy is one of the problems, even during our little slump. I'll definitely entertain CR's argument that he's not a good enough coach to go all the way and win a cup because there's some evidence based on Lindy's coaching history/record, but I think I just disagree and am not there yet at all. I'd maybe get there if we had 3-5 straight playoff runs where we can't get out of the 1st round or something ala the Leafs, but that's not what we are talking about yet, we're still at, "Can this team even make playoffs again and repeat that performance?". 

You make entirely valid points, and I’m beyond frustrated starting with the coaching, then defense, then goaltending, then Fitz, all in decreasing degrees in that order.

Re the bolded: for me, the second Lindy let that 07 Sabres team lost their focus and completely waste that season once they got the playoffs was, in my opinion, a testament to his inadequacies as a head coach. The year prior he took middle of the road team through a ton of adversity until they were undone by their ECHL defense after all the injuries. But that next team was significantly better, setting records to start, then choking.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Who do you replace Lindy with in that case?

If I had time to research and make phone calls, I’d have a better answer, but for arguments sake since I hate when people say that they’re not the GM, I’d give Green the reigns, maybe call up woodcraft to be behind the bench to fill his spot, or simply let Sarge get more of a role.

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

You make entirely valid points, and I’m beyond frustrated starting with the coaching, then defense, then goaltending, then Fitz, all in decreasing degrees in that order.

Re the bolded: for me, the second Lindy let that 07 Sabres team lost their focus and completely waste that season once they got the playoffs was, in my opinion, a testament to his inadequacies as a head coach. The year prior he took middle of the road team through a ton of adversity until they were undone by their ECHL defense after all the injuries. But that next team was significantly better, setting records to start, then choking.

The bolded incapsulates my concerns about this team under Lindy’s supervision.  It would be a shame for a group as talented as that which the Devils have assembled to waste its ability, which seems to be the outcome toward which the team is headed.  Scrapping a single season may not seem that great a sacrifice, but consider how many times we’ve been told about a  “team of the future” assured to accomplish tomorrow what they could not today, only to see the same team never realize its potential.  If the Devils have a chance to win now—and all indications are that they do—then they should make the most of the opportunity rather than squandering it.  Tomorrow may never come.

Lindy can only coach to what he's given.  The Good:  They are very fast and creative.  The Bad:  They are smallish, not very physical and even the few big guys they have don't use their size much. Also, the goaltending is not consistent-but that's also a direct result of what the skaters do or don't do in front of them.

Lindy is coaching to their strength-speed.  I mean what else can he do-have Jack and Bratt blocking shots?  They like Lindy because he not only allows them to be as creative as they want-he encourages it.   They can win playing their up-tempo speed game as long as they play responsibly on defense-which they don't do enough.  It's on the players-they have to smarten up and not be so reckless. 

IMO Fitz will need to add some size and physicality for the Rugby-on-Ice Slogfest that is the playoffs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Have Another Donut said:

Lindy can only coach to what he's given.  The Good:  They are very fast and creative.  The Bad:  They are smallish, not very physical and even the few big guys they have don't use their size much. Also, the goaltending is not consistent-but that's also a direct result of what the skaters do or don't do in front of them.

Lindy is coaching to their strength-speed.  I mean what else can he do-have Jack and Bratt blocking shots?  They like Lindy because he not only allows them to be as creative as they want-he encourages it.   They can win playing their up-tempo speed game as long as they play responsibly on defense-which they don't do enough.  It's on the players-they have to smarten up and not be so reckless. 

IMO Fitz will need to add some size and physicality for the Rugby-on-Ice Slogfest that is the playoffs.

I’m not bothered by the team’s style of play so much as their habitual unpreparedness for games.  The first period can’t be treated like a dress-rehearsal.

• Like 4