2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

11 minutes ago, vincois said:

This place used to be fun. Occasional good discussion. Depressing to say the least. 

I’ve not posted here that long, so I can’t speak to how things were pre-2023-24, but I’ve generally enjoyed the discussion, even with the Devils struggling.  People have been crankier of late, but I’d rather that than no interest at all.

• Like 3

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Sounds like Calgary wants the moon too

Yup. And I would too if I were Conroy and had Fitz over a barrel and other teams in on him also. 

At least Fitz played this perfectly by waiting for the prices to come down closer to the deadline.   /s

• Like 2

I know it's blown up in his face but I will say I agreed that it was the right move to go into this season with a tandem of his 30 game winner and a young guy who absolutely shut down the Rangers.  In hindsight, I think Fitz f'ed up by not signing another veteran to stash in Utica in case this situation with the goalies happened, especially once Daws went under the knife in early summer.   I realize any goalie willing to sign to start the year in Utica probably wasn't going to be our savior, but at least it would have given us another serviceable option and this might be a slightly less desperate situation.  

I'm pretty bullish on most of what Fitz has done as GM for us but we've now had 2 out of the last three seasons be completely sabotaged by beer league level goaltending.   The Corey Crawford thing probably couldn't have been foreseen but you just can't be pissing away whole seasons like this.  I'm not sure any other GM is going to throw him a lifeline yet this season that doesn't have some insane price attached to it but he needs to get this sh!t figured out before next year or I will really start to lose faith in him to get us where we want to go.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I know it's blown up in his face but I will say I agreed that it was the right move to go into this season with a tandem of his 30 game winner and a young guy who absolutely shut down the Rangers.  In hindsight, I think Fitz f'ed up by not signing another veteran to stash in Utica in case this situation with the goalies happened, especially once Daws went under then knife in early summer.   I realize any goalie willing to sign to start the year in Utica probably wasn't going to be our savior, but at least it would have given us another serviceable option and this might be a slightly less desperate situation.  

I'm pretty bullish on most of what Fitz has done as GM for us but we've now had 2 out of the last three seasons be completely sabotaged by beer league level goaltending.   The Corey Crawford thing probably couldn't have been foreseen but you just can't be pissing away whole seasons like this.  I'm not sure any other GM is going to throw him a lifeline yet this season that doesn't have some insane price attached to it but he needs to get this sh!t figured out before next year or I will really start to lose faith in him to get us where we want to go.    

Well said.

3 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’ve not posted here that long, so I can’t speak to how things were pre-2023-24, but I’ve generally enjoyed the discussion, even with the Devils struggling.  People have been crankier of late, but I’d rather that than no interest at all.

It's hard not to be cranky, team has goalie sives one night then tonight we have a good goalie performance and we can't score. 

Throw on the fact that we can't even give the league and team money for stadium series jerseys and merch without it being a giant pain in the ass. 

But hey at least renewals are coming out on Monday! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I know it's blown up in his face but I will say I agreed that it was the right move to go into this season with a tandem of his 30 game winner and a young guy who absolutely shut down the Rangers.  In hindsight, I think Fitz f'ed up by not signing another veteran to stash in Utica in case this situation with the goalies happened, especially once Daws went under then knife in early summer.   I realize any goalie willing to sign to start the year in Utica probably wasn't going to be our savior, but at least it would have given us another serviceable option and this might be a slightly less desperate situation.  

The bolded text is what I keep coming back to, as there’s no guarantee the Devils will remain a contending team merely because they’re young and talented.  How many young, talented teams have failed to reach their potential, irrespective of the reason?

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's hard not to be cranky, team has goalie sives one night then tonight we have a good goalie performance and we can't score. 

Throw on the fact that we can't even give the league and team money for stadium series jerseys and merch without it being a giant pain in the ass. 

But hey at least renewals are coming out on Monday! 

For sure.  The Devils have had precious few games this season—let alone wins—where they’ve excelled in every facet of hockey, and a team with this much talent shouldn’t underperform to that extent, whatever its limitations.

I toyed with the idea of buying tickets for the Stadium Series, but I don’t particularly want to freeze my ass off while struggling to see what’s happening on a makeshift rink so far away from the seats.  If the game were in the Bronx or Queens and thus inside a smaller venue, I might have gone through with it.  As it is, I’ll be watching on TV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ringtwins said:

Team that never put it together for the win? Hmmm, Buffalo Sabres come to mind 🫣

This team is 100% the Buffalo Sabres of the later 00s. Great roster, but a coach who doesn’t capitalize on the team’s strengths. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

3-6-1 in their last 10. Only the Blackhawks have been worse. 

Yeah unfortunately the Devils never built up the kind of cushion needed to withstand any extended skids.  I’d love for them to turn it around but it just doesn’t feel like it’s going to happen…especially since the GM doesn’t seem inclined to shake anything up.

16 hours ago, vincois said:

This place used to be fun. Occasional good discussion. Depressing to say the least. 

Actually, I feel like everyone here loves (and at times hates) this team as much as I do, so I know that at least here, I have company who understands.

Been one long friggin’ season.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Whatever it is, I’m sure there’s a tax for us, since it’s in the division. Plus, we’re desperate. 

Also, he’ll come here and get no support from his goaltending coach.

we’ve had half a dozen goalies (or more) start a game for us since Rogalski showed up. Not one has run away with the crease. What point do we say the “goalie whisperer” is a fraud? 

I want a goalie, no question, but the cheapest fixes right now are shaking up the coaching staff, otherwise we’re paying a premium for a temp fix that might not last. Give me the coaching change boost and then, HOPEFULLY, the prices come down a little when our desperation is a little less.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I want a goalie, no question, but the cheapest fixes right now are shaking up the coaching staff, otherwise we’re paying a premium for a temp fix that might not last. Give me the coaching change boost and then, HOPEFULLY, the prices come down a little when our desperation is a little less.

You and I are 100% in agreement on this, but Fitz appears to have learned nothing from his predecessor. Shero flat out refused to fire Hynes until it was entirely too late. It ended up costing him his job, and he hasn’t gotten another GM job since. When it comes to Fitz and Lindy, I tend to think Fitz may be letting his personal relationship with Ruff cloud his judgement. Ruff coached Fitz on the 1996 Panthers team that went to the SCF. They clearly have a friendship, and a coach-player type of relationship. I believe that may be getting in the way here. Either that, or Fitz just doesn’t want to admit a mistake. Maybe it’s both. 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You and I are 100% in agreement on this, but Fitz appears to have learned nothing from his predecessor. Shero flat out refused to fire Hynes until it was entirely too late. It ended up costing him his job, and he hasn’t gotten another GM job since. When it comes to Fitz and Lindy, I tend to think Fitz may be letting his personal relationship with Ruff cloud his judgement. Ruff coached Fitz on the 1996 Panthers team that went to the SCF. They clearly have a friendship, and a coach-player type of relationship. I believe that may be getting in the way here. Either that, or Fitz just doesn’t want to admit a mistake. Maybe it’s both. 

I hate the loyalty and blind faith.

His nepotism is being covered up under the guise of “oh he’s faced injuries and goaltending setbacks.”

Meanwhile Torts has an inferior roster to ours playing out of their minds. Sure they’re coming back to earth but they sprinted long enough to ride a wave for now.

Edmonton is thriving under Knoblauch

Hynes is doing Hynes things in Minnesota, so no surprise there why they suck but they’re even just 3 points behind us.

I want so badly for Fitz to face the media. Last year he was in front of the microphones every so often when things were going well, now he’s vanished. I don’t even remember seeing him shown on the broadcasts this season…

• Like 2

Just now, jagknife said:

I hate the loyalty and blind faith.

His nepotism is being covered up under the guise of “oh he’s faced injuries and goaltending setbacks.”

Meanwhile Torts has an inferior roster to ours playing out of their minds. Sure they’re coming back to earth but they sprinted long enough to ride a wave for now.

Edmonton is thriving under Knoblauch

Hynes is doing Hynes things in Minnesota, so no surprise there why they suck but they’re even just 3 points behind us.

I want so badly for Fitz to face the media. Last year he was in front of the microphones every so often when things were going well, now he’s vanished. I don’t even remember seeing him shown on the broadcasts this season…

Yeah I like Fitz in general but man he really gets quiet when things don’t go according to plan.

• Like 2