2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, DevilMinder said:

I despise the corporate logos (even the supposed social support ones on helmets). Keep them clean, we all know that money isn't offsetting player costs or keeping the hot dogs under $15 .

Or giving the employees who work at the arena a living wage.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

They need to buy another sports team to add to the portfolio, they don’t own enough 🙄 I swear, this whole country is nothing more than a late stage capitalist hellhole at this point. 

I’m convinced we’ll see a day when each player has a different sponsor.  Timo Meier can be sponsored by Oscar Mayer because of the name similarity and the former’s insistence on playing like a wiener.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’m convinced we’ll see a day when each player has a different sponsor.  Timo Meier can be sponsored by Oscar Mayer because of the name similarity and the former’s insistence on playing like a wiener.

For the goalies, it’s easy: Swiss cheese can sponsor them. 

• Sad 1

Speaking of jerseys...what is it with these corporate bores and their pure arrogance?

Guess what MLB?  The new jerseys suck.  Players are coming out against them.  Fans are coming out against them.  From all accounts the new jerseys are clearly an inferior product.

So for fvcking ONCE don't immediately go into "You're all a bunch of wrong little people and WE know everything's swell!" mode.  Deny deny deny lie lie lie.  Goddamn I hate that sh!t.  And I know if the NHL has a similar issue next season, Gary "Count Von Count" Bettman will do the same exact fvcking thing, and tell us all how awesome the new jerseys are even if they're not.

"Fanatics has consistently produced world-class uniforms" - MLB Executives defend Nike jerseys amid widespread criticism from fans and players (msn.com)

NO ONE ASSOCIATES FANATICS WITH WORLD CLASS, UNLESS "FAR FROM" IS IN THE SAME SENTENCE.  fvck RIGHT OFF WITH THAT! 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of jerseys...what is it with these corporate bores and their pure arrogance?

Guess what MLB?  The new jerseys suck.  Players are coming out against them.  Fans are coming out against them.  From all accounts the new jerseys are clearly an inferior product.

So for fvcking ONCE don't immediately go into "You're all a bunch of wrong little people and WE know everything's swell!" mode.  Deny deny deny lie lie lie.  Goddamn I hate that sh!t.  And I know if the NHL has a similar issue next season, Gary "Count Von Count" Bettman will do the same exact fvcking thing, and tell us all how awesome the new jerseys are even if they're not.

"Fanatics has consistently produced world-class uniforms" - MLB Executives defend Nike jerseys amid widespread criticism from fans and players (msn.com)

NO ONE ASSOCIATES FANATICS WITH WORLD CLASS, UNLESS "FAR FROM" IS IN THE SAME SENTENCE.  fvck RIGHT OFF WITH THAT! 

I refuse to buy anything with a Fanatics logo for exactly the reasons you’ve cited.  If the players who wear the uniforms every day think they suck, then they probably do.  Plus, it sounds like Fanatics is trying to do away with traditional uniform designs, as there’s a rumor making its way through the Yankees fanbase that the team’s road uniform will look different from what we’ve seen in the past.  If the look of an original MLB team can be changed, what’s in store for every other sports franchise?  Are the Devils uniforms going to be royal blue next year?

Edited by ButlerBulldog

1 minute ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I refuse to buy anything with a Fanatics logo for exactly the reasons you’ve cited.  If the players who wear the uniforms every day think they suck, then they probably do.  Plus, it sounds like Fanatics is trying to do away with traditional uniform designs, as there’s a rumor making its way through the Yankees fanbase that the team’s road uniform will look different from what we’ve seen in the past.  If the look of an original MLB team can be changed, what’s in store for every other sports franchise?  Are the Devils uniforms going to be royal blue next year?

"Coming 2025! Fanatics is proud to present our new 'Reverse Rivalry' jersey series! The Devils will wear red, white & blue and the Rangers will wear red and black!"

• Like 1
  • Vomiting 3

2 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

"Coming 2025! Fanatics is proud to present our new 'Reverse Rivalry' jersey series! The Devils will wear red, white & blue and the Rangers will wear red and black!"

screaming reaction meme | Reaction face, Meme faces, Funny reaction pictures

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Let’s not give Bettman any ideas.  He’s stupid enough to try something like this and think it’s an ingenious decision.  In any event, here’s the Yankees’ alleged new (old?) road look, which resembles the style of uniform they wore pre-1973.

IMG_0753.jpeg

39 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Sadly, I wouldn’t put it past them 

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I'm not a baseball guy but wouldn't the Yankees be able to stop this if they really wanted? I'd imagine they have the pull to stop it if they don't want it. Unless they really do want it because they want the revenue from the jerseys because you know tons of people would still buy them no matter what.

We already had those blue and yellow wonder bread jerseys last year so nothing surprises  me anymore lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Let’s not give Bettman any ideas.  He’s stupid enough to try something like this and think it’s an ingenious decision.  In any event, here’s the Yankees’ alleged new (old?) road look, which resembles the style of uniform they wore pre-1973.

IMG_0753.jpeg

It certainly looks like a cheaper design and definitely has less color to print on the jerseys but if this is something they actually use to wear prior to 73 than at least it's reflecting some history of the team

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm not a baseball guy but wouldn't the Yankees be able to stop this if they really wanted? I'd imagine they have the pull to stop it if they don't want it. Unless they really do want it because they want the revenue from the jerseys because you know tons of people would still buy them no matter what.

We already had those blue and yellow wonder bread jerseys last year so nothing surprises  me anymore lol

I’m not sure.  At this point, it’s not immediately clear if the new road uniform is actually a thing or if the style guide rendering is just a generic drawing.  In any event, the very idea of changes like this makes me worry Fanatics is going to make a mess of next season’s NHL uniforms.  The Devils have their own classic look and color scheme, which I don’t want to change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s getting worse by the hour.  Now, the pants are a problem.

• Haha 3

Friday's to-do list for Devils Management:

1.  Fire Lindy.  It's over.  I know the right guy to replace him may not be available until summer so just name an interim coach.   There needs to be some acknowledgement from the organization that this season is not acceptable.   Also, there can't be any more "Do you even know how to watch games?" or "The press is causing our PP to fail" type bull sh!t  His shelf life as Devils coach expired months ago but now this is just toxic.      

2.  Send out email to 31 other GMs letting them know Toffoli is available at the deadline. He a good player for the right team but he doesn't fit here going forward, especially at any type of meaningful salary hit.   

3.  Waive Vitek and hope he gets claimed.  Like Blackwood last year or Zacha the year before, the dude played himself off the team this year IMO.   Even for those of us that supported going into the season with Vanacek/Schmid, we always knew he was ultimately not the guy, so what's the point of moving forward with him?  The hope was that he could hold down the fort while Schmid built off of last year's success.   At this point, let Daws and Schmid split the remaining games in hopes that one of them can be the cheap 1B next year to whoever we can get during the summer to anchor the position.  If Poultier gets a few games down the strech, I'm good with that as well.    

4. Move Timo Meier to RW

5. Move Jack Hughes to Center

6. Move Holtz up to a top 9 spot and give him 15 minutes per night, min.   

7. Get Colin Miller back into the lineup.  You can make a case for Luke, Siegs, Bahl and obviously Smith all needing a night watching from the pressbox.  Not sure why it was Miller in the stands.  

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Friday's to-do list for Devils Management:

1.  Fire Lindy.  It's over.  I know the right guy to replace him may not be available until summer so just name an interim coach.   There needs to be some acknowledgement from the organization that this season is not acceptable.   Also, there can't be any more "Do you even know how to watch games?" or "The press is causing our PP to fail type bull sh!t"  His shelf life as Devils coach expired months ago but now this is just toxic.      

2.  Send out email to 31 other GMs letting them know Toffoli is available at the deadline. He a good player for the right team but he doesn't fit here going forward, especially at any type of meaningful salary hit.   

3.  Waive Vitek and hope he gets claimed.  Like Blackwood last year or Zacha the year before, the dude played himself off the team this year IMO.   Even for those of us that supported going into the season with Vanacek/Schmid, we always knew he was ultimately not the guy, so what's the point of moving forward with him?  The hope was that he could hold down the fort while Schmid built off of last year's success.   At this point, let Daws and Schmid split the remaining games in hopes that one of them can be the cheap 1B next year to whoever we can get during the summer to anchor the position.  If Poultier gets a few games down the strech, I'm good with that as well.    

4. Move Timo Meier to RW

5. Move Jack Hughes to Center

6. Move Holtz up to a top 9 spot and give him 15 minutes per night, min.   

7. Get Colin Miller back into the lineup.  You can make a case for Luke, Siegs, Bahl and obviously Smith all needing a night watching from the pressbox.  Not sure why it was Miller in the stands.  

1) Agree

2) Agree

3) He was not good this year but I think the team absolutely did not help him.  I get the feeling he won't be here to start the 2024-25 season, but of course the big question will then be, who?

4) Thank you

5) See #4

6) Especially once Toffoli's dealt

7) Miller > Smith please, as in every game from here on out

• Like 2