2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

They also have, in Lindy Ruff, a head coach who seems incapable or unwilling to make necessary adjustments, and in Tom Fitzgerald, a general manager who has failed to make the kind of roster-shaping move that might have helped the team during this crucial stretch. Ruff looks dangerously close to losing the locker room, if he hasn’t already, while Fitzgerald has done nothing to improve the talent inside it. That, folks, is a lousy combination. 👏👏👏👏

This sounds like one of you bozos wrote it.

This is the criticism that Kevyn Adams has had leveled at him by Buffalo media as well. These aren't analysts. They're sports blog writers/journalists with overinflated views of themselves because they are around the team all the time. 

Of course a more conservative approach doesn't sit well with media types. They want to write about new teammates gelling together. They want their jobs to be easy and be truth tellers. They want an obvious move they can point to and be like, "this is when things started to get better." They were all but crowning Nico Daws the new #1 goaltender and the NEXT game he drops a 5-spot. 

They don't give a fvck about being wrong. They aren't in the locker room no matter how close they say they are. 

The Sabres have made less moves than the Devils and are worse. It doesn't follow that if the Devils made one more trade or two that they would magically get better. Trades are at an all-time low. 

Edited by RizzMB30

21 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

This sounds like one of you bozos wrote it.

This is the criticism that Kevyn Adams has had leveled at him by Buffalo media as well. These aren't analysts. They're sports blog writers/journalists with overinflated views of themselves because they are around the team all the time. 

Of course a more conservative approach doesn't sit well with media types. They want to write about new teammates gelling together. They want their jobs to be easy and be truth tellers. They want an obvious move they can point to and be like, "this is when things started to get better." They were all but crowning Nico Daws the new #1 goaltender and the NEXT game he drops a 5-spot. 

They don't give a fvck about being wrong. They aren't in the locker room no matter how close they say they are. 

The Sabres have made less moves than the Devils and are worse. It doesn't follow that if the Devils made one more trade or two that they would magically get better. Trades are at an all-time low. 

I think we can all acknowledge that no trades have been made because there haven’t been any that worked so far, but Lindy needs to go. That’s for sure. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

On the one hand I don't mind Jack getting some chirping here, I think he and a number of other people on this team (and above the players) could use a bit of accountability and reality check...on the other Mr. Magoo for the first time threw out the 'i' word in reference to Jack, and if he is indeed playing hurt that certainly goes a way to explaining why we haven't seen the real Jack since mid-December.  His downturn both in terms of play and attitude started way before the village idiot decided to put him back on wing though, that's become the latest convenient excuse for him not producing the way he did last year or early this season.  At least with Timo it's a legitimate beef since he's literally been at his off wing for like 95% of the year.

Yea well Jack also made a comment a week ago(or w/e) about how much easier it is when they get saves, but you couldn't tell the way they were playing. They couldn't score their way out of a wet paper bag right now.

• Like 1

Soooooo got my Adidas Hischier Stadium Series jersey today.  Apparently the Adidas SS jerseys don’t come with the Stadium Series patch.  That kinda sucks, but jersey’s pretty nice otherwise. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Soooooo got my Adidas Hischier Stadium Series jersey today.  Apparently the Adidas SS jerseys don’t come with the Stadium Series patch.  That kinda sucks, but jersey’s pretty nice otherwise. 

Yeah I bought a patch to have sewn on 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My buddy bought the Adidas, I brought the fanatics.

Trust me, you're better off. Quality is night and day. Just buy the patch separately.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I bought a patch to have sewn on 

You having someone do that for you?  I can’t sew for sh!t heh heh.

51 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea well Jack also made a comment a week ago(or w/e) about how much easier it is when they get saves, but you couldn't tell the way they were playing. They couldn't score their way out of a wet paper bag right now.

Not even getting on him for that because yes our goalies have been awful 85-90% of the year, but it does look bad after this recent stretch of games.

Yup, my sources are made up and my BS insider info is only to make me look cool, right?  Just sheer luck that everything I made up about injuries and Fitz’s trade pursuits turns out to be dead on.  I should have played Powerball instead. 

“A Jacob Markstrom-to-New Jersey deal got so close, I'm told Markstrom didn't think he'd leave the area when the Flames were on a New York/New Jersey road trip earlier this month. It fell through, but I think the Devils are still aggressively looking at options, and Saros could be one of them. GM Tom Fitzgerald has full power from ownership to do anything he can to make the team better. Goaltending is the obvious need, even though 23-year-old Nico Daws has helped stabilize the situation lately. But an impact defenseman is also key as the Devils are vulnerable and inexperienced without top blueliner Dougie Hamilton.”

But at least everyone was kind about it all season, and understood that my objective was only to share what I knew with people whom I thought would be interested. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39569129/goalie-market-penguins-capitals-nhl-trade-deadline-topics

Edited by smelly

28 minutes ago, smelly said:

Yup, my sources are made up and my BS insider info is only to make me look cool, right?  Just sheer luck that everything I made up about injuries and Fitz’s trade pursuits turns out to be dead on.  I should have played Powerball instead. 

“A Jacob Markstrom-to-New Jersey deal got so close, I'm told Markstrom didn't think he'd leave the area when the Flames were on a New York/New Jersey road trip earlier this month. It fell through, but I think the Devils are still aggressively looking at options, and Saros could be one of them. GM Tom Fitzgerald has full power from ownership to do anything he can to make the team better. Goaltending is the obvious need, even though 23-year-old Nico Daws has helped stabilize the situation lately. But an impact defenseman is also key as the Devils are vulnerable and inexperienced without top blueliner Dougie Hamilton.”

But at least everyone was kind about it all season, and understood that my objective was only to share what I knew with people whom I thought would be interested. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39569129/goalie-market-penguins-capitals-nhl-trade-deadline-topics

Curious if you have anything new from your source on if fitz and team are leaning to Saros or Markstrom or if there is some conversation on whether this might be worked on during the summer possibly.

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's the bonus...the goals.  Gives him trade value.  

Yea I hear ya, and earlier on in the season I was ALL about re signing this guy, but he just looks like he has cement skates at this point, He just can’t keep up.. honestly, this entire thing is depressing and overly disappointing, I feel embarrassed after I talked so highly of what this team was going to be this season to other people. I’m not completely in the camp of it’s over, if they win the next two this weekend I’ll be happy, they drop one than yea I’m 100% camp it’s done.

7 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Yea I hear ya, and earlier on in the season I was ALL about re signing this guy, but he just looks like he has cement skates at this point, He just can’t keep up.. honestly, this entire thing is depressing and overly disappointing, I feel embarrassed after I talked so highly of what this team was going to be this season to other people. I’m not completely in the camp of it’s over, if they win the next two this weekend I’ll be happy, they drop one than yea I’m 100% camp it’s done.

That‘s fair…four CLEAN points (no loser points in the Tampa game), and they’re not completely dead.

Yeah problem with Toffoli at this point is he needs to score 35+ goals to really offset his deficiencies.  And I’m not so sure that’s enough.  Also don’t see his decline being pretty.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SKA1989 said:

Curious if you have anything new from your source on if fitz and team are leaning to Saros or Markstrom or if there is some conversation on whether this might be worked on during the summer possibly.

I just don’t know. Been so discouraged by their recent performances and overall obstinance (Lindy) and silence (Fitz) that I haven’t even asked. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

No doubt sequelae from the hits he took last night.  It’s a shame none of his teammates stuck up for him.  Siegenthaler looked like a toddler trying to fight Rempe.

The injury that has him on IR is not from the Trouba/Rempe episode. Totally unrelated. Same as somebody else’s. Fitz probably now has even more cap to play with if he wants. 

Edited by smelly

42 minutes ago, smelly said:

The injury that has him on IR is not from the Trouba/Rempe episode. Totally unrelated. Same as somebody else’s. Fitz probably now has even more cap to play with if he wants. 

Torn oblique like Dougie?

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Torn oblique like Dougie?

Dougie has a torn pec.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Dougie has a torn pec.

Wasn’t referring to Dougie. Something else I’ve shared that to my knowledge hasn’t been reported specifically elsewhere. 

Edited by smelly

6 minutes ago, smelly said:

Wasn’t referring to Dougie. Something else I’ve shared that to my knowledge hasn’t been reported specifically elsewhere. 

I quoted MD2020, who mentioned Dougie and an oblique.  I was responding specifically to him.