2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

I've been on Bahl a lot but credit where it's due, he's been playing his best hockey the last few weeks. We know he's not going to contribute any offense but it was still neat to see him score on that absolute clapper last night. He's another young defenseman that's had to step into a bigger role (tougher minutes, more PK responsibility) due to the injuries.

image.png.076671540b03c6f5dd486b5ddb5633d7.png

• Like 4

Just now, nmigliore said:

I've been on Bahl a lot but credit where it's due, he's been playing his best hockey the last few weeks. We know he's not going to contribute any offense but it was still neat to see him score on that absolute clapper last night. He's another young defenseman that's had to step into a bigger role (tougher minutes, more PK responsibility) due to the injuries.

I just wish he’d use his size more

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

I know it's a flawed stat and it's falling out of favor, but Bahl is quietly tied for second on the Devils in +/- (he's a +9, tied with Miller).

Fourth on the Devils is Hatakka, at +7...in SEVEN GAMES!  But nope, Smith has gotta be out there, apparently no matter what.  

• Like 6

https://www.nhl.com/news/calgary-flames-chris-tanev-traded-to-dallas-stars

We are basically helping Calgary to retain salary on the Tanev to Dallas deal. We didn't really get much out of this. We got a 4th round pick in return for retaining 50% additional on top of what Calgary retained. 

This makes me think another deal with Calgary is in the works still. It doesn't seem like the kind of deal that we would have gotten in on so to speak unless we were getting something else or working something else additional out. Something along the lines of "If you help us retain salary on this deal, we'll be more willing to make another smaller deal for Markstrom perhaps where we'll be okay retaining more salary". 

This reeks of more to come. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/calgary-flames-chris-tanev-traded-to-dallas-stars

We are basically helping Calgary to retain salary on the Tanev to Dallas deal. We didn't really get much out of this. We got a 4th round pick in return for retaining 50% additional on top of what Calgary retained. 

This makes me think another deal with Calgary is in the works still. It doesn't seem like the kind of deal that we would have gotten in on so to speak unless we were getting something else or working something else additional out. Something along the lines of "If you help us retain salary on this deal, we'll be more willing to make another smaller deal for Markstrom perhaps where we'll be okay retaining more salary". 

This reeks of more to come. 

We basically got a free future 4th round pick for the McLeod situation. It’s nothing special but when it’s virtually free, who cares. I’m sure Fitzy isn’t finished chatting with Calgary, too…

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know it's a flawed stat and it's falling out of favor, but Bahl is quietly tied for second on the Devils in +/- (he's a +9, tied with Miller).

Fourth on the Devils is Hatakka, at +7...in SEVEN GAMES!  But nope, Smith has gotta be out there, apparently no matter what.  

I’m going to assume that Ruff trusts Smith with the bulk of the defensive zone starts.

9 hours ago, nmigliore said:

We basically got a free future 4th round pick for the McLeod situation. It’s nothing special but when it’s virtually free, who cares. I’m sure Fitzy isn’t finished chatting with Calgary, too…

Noah Hanifin, come on down

20 hours ago, nmigliore said:

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I definitely can’t call him bAHL anymore if he keeps playing like this. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Nice to see that Nemec is 10th on that list as well.

And re:  Bahl, always a positive if the solution is a guy simply getting more comfortable, so Fitz won't have to go looking for someone better (or older or pricier).  Easy to forget that he's only 125 games into his career, and like almost everyone else on this roster, probably isn't being done many favors by his head coach.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nice to see that Nemec is 10th on that list as well.

And re:  Bahl, always a positive if the solution is a guy simply getting more comfortable, so Fitz won't have to go looking for someone better (or older or pricier).  Easy to forget that he's only 125 games into his career, and like almost everyone else on this roster, probably isn't being done many favors by his head coach.

Now someone just needs to teach Bahl to use his size.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Now someone just needs to teach Bahl to use his size.

Agreed 100%.  He seems to use it only when he wants to...which really should be "all the time".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

He's also 2nd among defensemen by expected goal differential rate so it's not puck luck. Bahl has legitimately been excellent over this stretch. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agreed 100%.  He seems to use it only when he wants to...which really should be "all the time".

If he used his size with consistency and continues to develop his game, he could be Chara Very Lite. 

• Like 1

The above is five-on-five production since Jan 1, but Nico has been productive ALL season: he has 2.78 points per hour at five-on-five this season. There are only 5 players (with least 600 minutes) with a better scoring rate:

• McDavid
  • MacKinnon
  • Kucherov
  • Pettersson
  • Seguin 

Oh, and that's all while Nico faces the toughest matchups among Devils' forwards... what a king. 

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 4