2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

What is it currently about teams such as Detroit, Vegas and Boston who are playing lights out that the Devils aren’t doing the same to their opponents?  Besides goaltending and penalty killing.  What is it about those teams at the moment that they’re dominating and the Devils just aren’t?  I know it’s only 4 games in for the Devils but some of those teams already played 6 games.  That’s why I hate ever having strong expectations because we always see what can happen once the puck drops.  Bruins in the playoffs last year is a perfect example.  Just don’t like the thought “good on paper”.

It’s a looooong season.  Some of our fanbase is so impatient…not every team comes out fully flying out of the gate…the Cup isn’t won in October.  It’s not like the Devils are full-on stumbling here, Kraken-style…the Devils are 2-1-1 and are all of 2 points out of first.

And some of these teams that seem so unbeatable now will cool off…just like the Devils at some point will get on a real roll, as Luke gets more comfortable, some other players pick it up, etc.  The new narrative suddenly seems to be that the Devils have this serious goaltending issue but I need to see more than two starts each to start feeling like bringing in another goalie is an immediate need (which won’t be easy to pull off anyway).  VV and Schmid were solid in the regular season last year.  They can be that again.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s a looooong season.  Some of our fanbase is so impatient…not every team comes out fully flying out of the gate…the Cup isn’t won in October.  It’s not like the Devils are full-on stumbling here, Kraken-style…the Devils are 2-1-1 and are all of 2 points out of first.

And some of these teams that seem so unbeatable now will cool off…just like the Devils at some point will get on a real roll, as Luke gets more comfortable, some other players pick it up, etc.  The new narrative suddenly seems to be that the Devils have this serious goaltending issue but I need to see more than two starts each to start feeling like bringing in another goalie is an immediate need (which won’t be easy to pull off anyway).  VV and Schmid were solid in the regular season last year.  They can be that again.

Seriously, especially after last year when we all saw Boston who was lights out all year get bounced by Florida who got hot down the stretch and carried it into the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Seriously, especially after last year when we all saw Boston who was lights out all year get bounced by Florida who got hot down the stretch and carried it into the playoffs.

What we’ve really seen now in a LOT of pro sports is that all that matters when it comes to the playoffs is getting in…having the best winning% (and the “advantages” that might come with them, like extra home games) don’t really mean all that much.  So much of it comes down to matchups, the occasional deadline deal(s) that can greatly change the makeup of certain teams, players getting hot at right time (or stars going cold at the wrong time), etc.

We’ve seen how little that winning the President’s Trophy means these days.  Or even winning your division for that matter.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Especially when early season scheduling is so uneven. 

The Devils will be fine as a team. Smith, individually, I'm not so sure. 🤣

32 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Especially when early season scheduling is so uneven. 

The Devils will be fine as a team. Smith, individually, I'm not so sure. 🤣

Yeah sucks when Plan A doesn’t work out.  I think the idea was that Colin Miller would’ve gotten Smith’s minutes, but he has a bad preseason and get injured to boot.

51 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, this schedule to open the season really sucks.  I guess it's better for the players to have more rest and practices between games, but holy smokes is it painful having to wait so many days between games.

The schedule really starts kicking in starting with tonight's game; eight games over the next 15 days, including this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

We are seeing what happens when Jack has linemates that can put the puck in the net. The man put up 99 points with a snake bitten Haula on his line for almost half the season last year

Yeah, but the only reason Haula was on that line was because Jack couldn't win faceoffs and it was affecting the teams possession play. Jack still can't win faceoffs. 

I'm not sh!tting on Jack, but with the defensive improvement to his overall game, I'd like to see him take a take a step towards being a better faceoff man. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Hey, just wanna say it's nice to read 99% positive posts these days, I left this forum about 10 years ago (and HF 3 years ago) because of all the doomers and gloomers, I won't go back to HF because they still have "those" posters, but this place is really good these days!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, HughesCorporation said:

Hey, just wanna say it's nice to read 99% positive posts these days, I left this forum about 10 years ago (and HF 3 years ago) because of all the doomers and gloomers, I won't go back to HF because they still have "those" posters, but this place is really good these days!

The last 2-3 of years, it was really one gloom-and-doomer that was a lot of the problem...he'd come up with such over-the-top takes (usually with a whipping boy or two to beat up on) that it was impossible for him not to get called out on them, then would come the inevitable insults, and then depending on the results of any given game, there would be 3 or 4 pages of him starting sh!t with just about everyone who dared to tell him how ridiculous and irrational that he was being. 

And of course there was the other guy with a lot of bad (and often childish) takes who was incapable of not doubling and tripling down on them no matter how flat-out dumb a lot of them were, which also led to a lot of extended arguments.  Ever since the two of them were finally shown the door, the vibe here has been markedly different; even when there's disagreements (to be expected), the back-and-forths are much more civil now.

Also a nice bonus that the team is good now and figures to be for quite some time, as long as most of the key players can stay healthy.  This team was bad for many years; even as the Devils were accumulating young talent, it was still rough watching them be a non-factor by New Year's.  Lots of raw nerves in here.

If someone had told you that Mercer would be pointless through five, Nico would have just one point, Timo would still be looking for his first goal, and Marino's game would a bit of a mess to start his season, would you have expected a 3-1-1 start?  That's what's so great about having so much damned talent on the team...a couple of guys can slump or be fighting it, but other guys are there to pick up the slack.  Good time to be a fan here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HughesCorporation said:

It’s been a night and day difference here since we had that mini purge awhile back. Place is great now. 

HF I’ve tried at least 3-4 times to give it a chance (think I have like 1k posts there). It just never sticks. Too big, too many posters, too overly reliant on advanced stats (which I do like to look at, but they’re not the end all be all for me), and worst of all the site itself just sucks. At least on mobile anyway. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

HF I’ve tried at least 3-4 times to give it a chance (think I have like 1k posts there). It just never sticks. Too big, too many posters, too overly reliant on advanced stats (which I do like to look at, but they’re not the end all be all for me), and worst of all the site itself just sucks. At least on mobile anyway. 

I gave HF one last try, with the "Jack 2022-23 vs Kakko career" battle that we had so much fun with in here...over there you would've thought that I committed heresy by posting it.  Very humorless bunch over there...and lots of know-it-alls.  

When I saw that that glenwo guy (or whatever his name was) was a big deal over there, kinda told me all that I need to know about that place.  Just not my jam.  And I agree with you on advanced stats...I don't mind them as part of the picture, but over there they're seen as gospel...metrics robots can strip the fun out of any hockey talk in a hurry...it's just not a fun place to talk hockey, at all.  Won't ever go in there again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The last 2-3 of years, it was really one gloom-and-doomer that was a lot of the problem...he'd come up with such over-the-top takes (usually with a whipping boy or two to beat up on) that it was impossible for him not to get called out on them, then would come the inevitable insults, and then depending on the results of any given game, there would be 3 or 4 pages of him starting sh!t with just about everyone who dared to tell him how ridiculous and irrational that he was being. 

And of course there was the other guy with a lot of bad (and often childish) takes who was incapable of not doubling and tripling down on them no matter how flat-out dumb a lot of them were, which also led to a lot of extended arguments.  Ever since the two of them were finally shown the door, the vibe here has been markedly different; even when there's disagreements (to be expected), the back-and-forths are much more civil now.

Also a nice bonus that the team is good now and figures to be for quite some time, as long as most of the key players can stay healthy.  This team was bad for many years; even as the Devils were accumulating young talent, it was still rough watching them be a non-factor by New Year's.  Lots of raw nerves in here.

If someone had told you that Mercer would be pointless through five, Nico would have just one point, Timo would still be looking for his first goal, and Marino's game would a bit of a mess to start his season, would you have expected a 3-1-1 start?  That's what's so great about having so much damned talent on the team...a couple of guys can slump or be fighting it, but other guys are there to pick up the slack.  Good time to be a fan here. 

Even I’ve behaved well lately, that should count for something :)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

It’s been a night and day difference here since we had that mini purge awhile back. Place is great now. 

That site definitely has a ton more traffic which can be good when content is on a low. The pop up ads on that site are beyond annoying to try navigating through. 

Jack’s last 120 regular season GP:

68 G, 96 A, 164 Pts

And it feels like he’s just getting warmed up.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I gave HF one last try, with the "Jack 2022-23 vs Kakko career" battle that we had so much fun with in here...over there you would've thought that I committed heresy by posting it.  Very humorless bunch over there...and lots of know-it-alls.  

When I saw that that glenwo guy (or whatever his name was) was a big deal over there, kinda told me all that I need to know about that place.  Just not my jam.  And I agree with you on advanced stats...I don't mind them as part of the picture, but over there they're seen as gospel...metrics robots can strip the fun out of any hockey talk in a hurry...it's just not a fun place to talk hockey, at all.  Won't ever go in there again.

I don't care that people like the advanced stats stuff but I don't watch sports to listen to math lectures or read about them. All the graphs, charts, heat maps, x this, I don't give a sh!t. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't care that people like the advanced stats stuff but I don't watch sports to listen to math lectures or read about them. All the graphs, charts, heat maps, x this, I don't give a sh!t. 

I don't mind them as part of a conversation, depending on how they're used.

When I see an article full of metrics acronyms and graphs and charts though, yeah, I just find that...not a whole lot of fun.  And it doesn't like seem a whole lot of metrics are terribly reliable (or at the very least, reliable or representative enough).

• Like 1