2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I suspect that just about everyone within the Devils organization has their doubts about Holtz’s top end….hence the reason Fitz seems willing to make him the main piece in this deal.

I blame Lindy Ruff, tremendously I blame Ruff for the negativity for Holtz. He’s coming into his own this season with dogsh!t employment and yet here we are

• Like 1

@The Athletic:

”Yes, Daws has stabilized the Devils’ situation in net over the last few weeks, in the sense that he hasn’t been one of the few worst goaltenders in the league. He’s still sub-.900 in his last eight starts, though. Nothing has been fixed. They still need a goalie, and they should still be trying to acquire one. Doesn’t have to be Jacob Markstrom, either. Deadline goalie trades rarely happen, but also, teams rarely need one this badly.”

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, I posted that a few days ago. It’s baffling. 

Ah, thought I saw this somewhere before

10 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

The Hughes/ Smith pairing is so bad, how can he justify it at all. Maybe he is worried about Hughes without a physical bodyguard?

Lindy is so bad at his job that it seems like most of the decisions that he makes are due to pure incompetence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

The Hughes/ Smith pairing is so bad, how can he justify it at all. Maybe he is worried about Hughes without a physical bodyguard?

“Well clearly you don’t watch the games really well cause Brendan is a rock on that pair. He helps guide Luke into the right position all the time. They’ll get going.”

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Devils signed some dude I don't know.

image.thumb.jpeg.24368a0b25d14ab2272e16c946f77ece.jpeg

Undrafted overage D out of the Q

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Dinosaur gonna dinosaur.

8 hours ago, jagknife said:

“Well clearly you don’t watch the games really well cause Brendan is a rock on that pair. He helps guide Luke into the right position all the time. They’ll get going.”

Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

As I have been saying for awhile now, this is why Fitz has to make any Markstrom trade NOW even if the playoffs this year are a pipe dream (and this reasoning applies to Saros or anybody else under consideration -- prices AND competition WILL be greater over the offseason).

Waiting until summer doesn't make it more likely you will be able to avoid giving up a Mercer or a Holtz or a Casey -- it makes it more likely you'll have to sacrifice more of them.

"In the absence of a bidding war, trading him now won’t maximize the return on the team’s undisputed MVP, who is a sizable asset the team needs to fully cash in on.

The club is better served waiting until the summer, when there are far more bidders and cap space, including contenders that realize their playoff loss might have been avoided had they employed a proven netminder.

The added benefit of waiting is the team’s ability to keep the number one reason the Flames remain on the fringes of a playoff race.

But if Markstrom is unhappy, and wants out, he has to go, as per Conroy’s policy."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/markstroms-honest-bombshell-muddies-his-future-with-flames/

Edited by smelly

If the Devils lose the next two games to LA and FLA, I could see Fitz calling up Calgary and sending our first-rounder and one of (Holtz, Casey)  for Markstrom. He'll give Ruff everything he needs to get the team into the playoffs.

Our goalie situation has been such 💩 for so long.

Edited by slasher72

Fitz already planting excuses in the media for doing nothing (or adding one of the lousy expiring G this week — Kahkonen incoming?)

Further to my earlier post, if he punts a stable solution to the summer, and thereby ends up paying more, he should be summarily dismissed.

Markstrom totally kicking ass against PITT tonite btw despite being under heavy fire. 

Edited by smelly
  • Like 2

Failure Fitz. He’s failed everyone. And now he’s gonna make excuses about injuries and bad luck. The only guy still injured is Dougie, so he can fvck off with that sh!t. Sounds from that like Calgary is gonna keep Markstrom so now Fitz is already posturing like you said. 

More context re my post above.

I know pretty much everybody told me I was full of sh!t when I told you exactly the same thing in November.  

How about next time if you don’t want to believe me, maybe at least do so a little more civilly?

Edited by smelly

15 minutes ago, smelly said:

Further to my earlier post, if Fitz punts this to the summer, and thereby ends up paying more, he should be summarily dismissed.

Our first rounder is as good as gone. And Holtz will go along with it. Hopefully no one else

This is just not the move to make right now. Playoffs are out of reach. Get a new coach, see if he can right the ship. If not, find your goalie in the offseason. Sending Holtz away, while his value is as low as it has ever been, will be a mistake. Friedman can say whatever he wants to stir up the rumor talk, but it would be out of character for Fitz to make this kind of move IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nessus said:

This is just not the move to make right now. Playoffs are out of reach. Get a new coach, see if he can right the ship. If not, find your goalie in the offseason. Sending Holtz away, while his value is as low as it has ever been, will be a mistake. Friedman can say whatever he wants to stir up the rumor talk, but it would be out of character for Fitz to make this kind of move IMO.

Nope. That solves nothing. Basically the equivalent of “let’s wait to pay more for the same thing.”

And btw no one internally is afraid of moving Holtz. He’s slow and will never drive play 5x5.

Good kid, totally expendable.

He goes in any deal. Fitz’s goal has to be to avoid paying much more.

If he waits until summer, the price will likely be Mercer (whether for Markstrom or any other serious solution).

Edited by smelly