2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-bruins/2024/03/04/linus-ullmark-boston-bruins-trade-new-jersey-devils-jacob-markstrom/?amp=1

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman offered a similar sentiment during his “32 Thoughts” column posted on Monday — noting that the Bruins could gain either future assets or proven NHL talent if they deem Ullmark an expendable asset.

I don’t know if this was posted yet.

3 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-bruins/2024/03/04/linus-ullmark-boston-bruins-trade-new-jersey-devils-jacob-markstrom/?amp=1

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman offered a similar sentiment during his “32 Thoughts” column posted on Monday — noting that the Bruins could gain either future assets or proven NHL talent if they deem Ullmark an expendable asset.

I don’t know if this was posted yet.

See above re sniff sniff. Just sayin’.

Edited by smelly

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

God I would hate to give up Lazar, but to get a proven goalie, it would sting a hell of a lot less.

It would cost a lot more than just Lazar. But if Ullmark can be acquired it’s definitely something to consider. Ohh Fitz, you really have created quite a mess for yourself…

Edited by SKA1989

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

From catching the end of the press conference, it is painfully obvious Fitz HATES Holtz.

I’m now convinced he will not be a Devil come Friday afternoon.

Kid is going to be a 40 goal scorer somewhere else I just know it. Trading him without ever getting a look at him in the top 6 for more than 5 minutes in one game will be an all time blunder. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Kid is going to be a 40 goal scorer somewhere else I just know it. Trading him without ever getting a look at him in the top 6 for more than 5 minutes in one game will be an all time blunder. 

“He hasn’t earned it, it doesn’t matter who he plays with, he hasn’t had a good year.”

• Angry 3

1 hour ago, SKA1989 said:

It would cost a lot more than just Lazar. But if Ullmark can be acquired it’s definitely something to consider. Ohh Fitz, you really have created quite a mess for yourself…

Oh I absolutely know it would, was more implying losing him would sting.

19 minutes ago, jagknife said:

From catching the end of the press conference, it is painfully obvious Fitz HATES Holtz.

I’m at work and couldn’t listen; what did he say?

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

“He hasn’t earned it, it doesn’t matter who he plays with, he hasn’t had a good year.”

It doesn’t matter who plays with yet a guy like Timo all of a sudden looks good again now that he’s playing with Nico on a regular basis. Imagine that. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m at work and couldn’t listen; what did he say?

Said holtz is having a bad season, not a good one at all I think was exact wordage. It’s more than just goals, said he wasn’t doing little things right for aboht 2 minutes before pivoting and saying it was a team thing not just him.

but he heavily emphasized he is not having a good season.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The bolded I'm not convinced of.

I'm to the point where I wonder if there's sh!t going on during practices or off the ice that we're just not aware of.  Because the eye test doesn't tell me that Holtz has been SO terrible, and if anything, I saw reasons for hope.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jagknife said:

35 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

22 minutes ago, jagknife said:

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It doesn’t matter who plays with yet a guy like Timo all of a sudden looks good again now that he’s playing with Nico on a regular basis. Imagine that. 

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Said holtz is having a bad season, not a good one at all I think was exact wordage. It’s more than just goals, said he wasn’t doing little things right for aboht 2 minutes before pivoting and saying it was a team thing not just him.

Fitz seems to be making the situation with Holtz personal, something a man in his position should never do.  If he can’t separate his personal feelings from his professional responsibilities, then he’s not the right man to lead the Devils organization.  I’m willing to give him another chance to turn this team into a contender, but he needs to nail the coaching hire and bring in players who fit the roster and who will help the team win.  Another season like this one, and Fitz should go.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Interesting comments if he’s really a major part of an incoming trade Fitz is trying to complete.   

Edited by Lateralous

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm to the point where I wonder if there's sh!t going on during practices or off the ice that we're just not aware of.  Because the eye test doesn't tell me that Holtz has been SO terrible, and if anything, I saw reasons for hope.  

I’m wondering the same thing, but I’m also bothered by the extent to which Fitz seems to be allowing his personal feelings to interfere with his job.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The potential is obviously there. If he can score 15-20 playing with scrubs, and averaging 11 minutes a night then his ceiling is probably pretty high. Still only 22 years old, too. I just absolutely hate the idea of selling so low on him. And I was not big on him at all when they drafted him for the record. But I also thought we’d get a look at him with Jack or Nico by now. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

The potential is obviously there. If he can score 15-20 playing with scrubs, and averaging 11 minutes a night then his ceiling is probably pretty high. Still only 22 years old, too. I just absolutely hate the idea of selling so low on him. And I was not big on him at all when they drafted him for the record. But I also thought we’d get a look at him with Jack or Nico by now. 

Same, didn't like the pick at the time.

I see him more as a 25-30 goal guy top-end, which obviously isn't chump change.  If he goes in the right kind of deal I'm not opposed to him being moved, and let's face it, it's now obvious that Lindy's not the only one who's sour on him.  It feels like he might as well be dealt at this point, mostly because the franchise clearly doesn't believe in him.  I just hope it's as part of a package for someone legit; I can live with it, under those circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Same, didn't like the pick at the time.

I see him more as a 25-30 goal guy top-end, which obviously isn't chump change.  If he goes in the right kind of deal I'm not opposed to him being moved, and let's face it, it's now obvious that Lindy's not the only one who's sour on him.  It feels like he might as well be dealt at this point, mostly because the franchise clearly doesn't believe in him.  I just hope it's as part of a package for someone legit; I can live with it, under those circumstances.

Trading Holtz probably also means re-signing Toffoli and I wouldn’t exactly be thrilled with that either. 

• Angry 2
  • Vomiting 1

20 minutes ago, jagknife said:

As I’ve posted before, no one in the organization would find it hard to send Holtz off in a beneficial deal. It was never just Lindy’s assessment, and it was never personal. They don’t think he’s a hard worker and he doesn’t seem to want to do the dirty work despite having been told time and again that unless he addresses it he isn’t seeing ice. We don’t see practice. They do. Every day. 

The only thing that surprised me was how Fitz basically gutted publicly the acceptable centerpiece of the deal he is trying to make. 

But that just goes to show how absolutely disgusted they are with his commitment to the game. 

Toffoli is older, but he’s a pro. 

Holtz to date has shown he is decidedly not  

Edited by smelly

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Trading Holtz probably also means re-signing Toffoli and I wouldn’t exactly be thrilled with that either. 

If Toffoli’s here after the deadline, we’ll have our answer.

• Like 1