2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

IMG_6529.gif

Until further notice, I'll now refer to him as Travis Groan.

I get wanting to put your stamp on the team for the very brief time you'll be here, but potentially scratching Nemec AGAIN?!  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Until further notice, I'll now refer to him as Travis Groan.

I get wanting to put your stamp on the team for the very brief time you'll be here, but potentially scratching Nemec AGAIN?!  

Unless Nemec is nursing an injury we don’t know about—an unlikely eventuality if he’s practicing with the team—there’s no reason why he should be scratched again.  He’s young and needs to gain experience, which won’t happen if his ass is glued to the bench.  Somebody from the media needs to press Green on why he’s seemingly singling out Nemec for poor play when all the evidence suggests he’s playing well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Unless Nemec is nursing an injury we don’t know about—an unlikely eventuality if he’s practicing with the team—there’s no reason why he should be scratched again.  He’s young and needs to gain experience, which won’t happen if his ass is glued to the bench.  Somebody from the media needs to press Green on why he’s seemingly singling out Nemec for poor play when all the evidence suggests he’s playing well.

Agreed. One game? Okay. But this looks like it’s gonna be a thing and that’s not cool. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Agreed. One game? Okay. But this looks like it’s gonna be a thing and that’s not cool. 

Not at all.  Nemec has been the Devils’ best defenseman over the past 4-6 weeks and perhaps even since his call-up.  Two reasons for this, of course, are the poor play of the team’s veterans and Luke hitting the rookie wall, but for Nemec to play as well as he has at such a young age speaks volumes about his talent and understanding of the game.  For him not to play—regardless of whether or not his performance has dipped—while Brendan Smith receives an infinite number of opportunities to screw up is mind-boggling and doesn’t say much for Green’s decisionmaking.  Fortunately, he won’t be around much longer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Not at all.  Nemec has been the Devils’ best defenseman over the past 4-6 weeks and perhaps even since his call-up.  Two reasons for this, of course, are the poor play of the team’s veterans and Luke hitting the rookie wall, but for Nemec to play as well as he has at such a young age speaks volumes about his talent and understanding of the game.  For him not to play—regardless of whether or not his performance has dipped—while Brendan Smith receives an infinite number of opportunities to screw up is mind-boggling and doesn’t say much for Green’s decisionmaking.  Fortunately, he won’t be around much longer.

Hoping against hope that someone sees Smith as a versatile depth piece and offers a 6th-rounder or something like that.  Apparently both Lindy and Groan can't get enough of him being in the lineup.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Maybe somebody mixed it up with his father.. or brother 😐

What I was thinking. Had to double check that I had the right name at first. Wanted to see how many games he's played since returning from injury and how he's played. I know Fitz seems to love him and has always had high praise for him. Wondering how much his quips against Holtz are because he's not Foote, whom he essentially had as a lock on the nhl roster at the start of the season.

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hoping against hope that someone sees Smith as a versatile depth piece and offers a 6th-rounder or something like that.  Apparently both Lindy and Groan can't get enough of him being in the lineup.

It only takes 1 team to get a hard on for someone who brings the narrative BS (veteran presence, physicality, etc.), just look at what the Ducks retrieved for Lyubushkin who has arguably been the worst defenseman in the NHL this season.

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 3

So basically the list of people who must be held accountable is Holtz, Nemec, and occasionally Miller. 

Meanwhile Luke can just continue doing whatever he’s doing. I know he’s Jacks bro and he’s going to be something big for this team eventually but he’s not infallible yet. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

So basically the list of people who must be held accountable is Holtz, Nemec, and occasionally Miller. 

Meanwhile Luke can just continue doing whatever he’s doing. I know he’s Jacks bro and he’s going to be something big for this team eventually but he’s not infallible yet. 

And it’s not entirely clear what Nemec is being held accountable for, as he’s not playing poorly, no matter what Green says.  I can understand holding young players accountable while they’re learning the game at the NHL level, but arbitrarily enforcing a bullsh!t standard to justify benching a player is petty and irresponsible.

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

If someone asks this and he gives “do you watch the games?”…

image.jpeg.8b83789ab828ce647010625257a75f6e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

If someone asks this and he gives “do you watch the games?”…

image.jpeg.8b83789ab828ce647010625257a75f6e.jpeg

The Devils organization should thank its lucky stars it’s based in Newark rather than one of the five boroughs.  Can you imagine what the New York media would have done to Fitz if he’d had his near meltdown in front of them?

Sam Reinhart was on last weeks Spitting Chiclets and talked about Bobrovsky’s resurgence last season. He credited it with Maurice’s system being implemented and finally adhered to. Talked about how it’s impossible for a goalie to pay when there’s no system in front of him.

Which further emphasizes the need for Fitz to nail the coaching hire this summer, that coach HAS to get a system in place, and we NEED a new goalie.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

It’s disconcerting that a 20-year-old man is apparently more mature than his head coach and general manager.

Nemec just seems like one of those guys who’s going to be hard to ever say a bad word about.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nemec just seems like one of those guys who’s going to be hard to ever say a bad word about.  

Unlike some of the douches on his team.  

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Which makes his treatment all the more perplexing.  If he were a jerk, I could understand Green wanting to reign him in, but he seems to have a top-notch attitude to go with his on-ice skills.

1 minute ago, capo said:

Unlike some of the douches on his team.  

Other than he whose name shall not be uttered, I can’t think of anyone on the current roster for whom a label like douche fits.  

5 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Which makes his treatment all the more perplexing.  If he were a jerk, I could understand Green wanting to reign him in, but he seems to have a top-notch attitude to go with his on-ice skills.

Other than he whose name shall not be uttered, I can’t think of anyone on the current roster for whom a label like douche fits.  

I'm not going to elaborate but the evidence is out there.  There are also some really good dudes on the roster as well.

2 minutes ago, capo said:

I'm not going to elaborate but the evidence is out there.  There are also some really good dudes on the roster as well.

I’ll grant that the maturity of certain players is questionable, but I’ve yet to see anything suggesting they’re mean-spirited.

TT almost certain to be traded now. Like 99.9 percent. 

Rangers interested. Would you do it?

EDIT complete lockdown on goalie pursuits. I’ve got nothing there. 

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

IMG_2438.gif

Canes heavy in on him too. 

I personally don’t see Fitz moving him in the division unless it’s for the mother lode. Which it won’t be. 

Vegas, WIN, VAN among those snooping, each seems more likely to me than any Metro. 

Edited by smelly