2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

Devils aren’t moving Palat.  Fitz brought him in to fill a specific need that’s not necessarily tied up in pure point production.  He’s going to be a part of this thing beyond this season.

• Like 3

It would be great for Palat to be contributing to the offense during the regular season and I hope he can do it. But for me, he can do no wrong after creating the goal in the second period of Game 7 vs the Rangers last season. I know, you can't justify a 5 year contract on one play. But maybe he has that rare ability to take charge when the team needs him most. His dominance of Fox and Kreider to get the puck and his feed to McLeod was a franchise altering moment. So I think it gives him a bit of slack during the regular season. And let's face it, playoff performance is the main reason a key Devil in 2022-23 like Tatar is no longer here.

Last year was a short summer and the groin injury. This year is still early. Hopefully Lindy will come up with the right line combination to get the best out of Ondrej.

Devils are also averaging over 4 goals per game without Palat scoring.  I don’t think he’s seen as NEEDING to provide that much offense. 

• Like 1

@point addressing your question in this thread as it makes more sense.

The good news is that the Devils are a top offensive team...they may not continue to score 4+ a game, but they should finish in the Top 5, given the talent.  Being able to score definitely helps to cover up some ills.  It's not like the prolific scoring is a fluke...the team scored plenty last year and Toffoli is absolutely an upgrade over Tatar.  Mercer and Palat haven't even gotten going yet.

This is also a short sample, re:  the defense and goaltending.  

Hamilton, Marino, Siegs, Bahl, and Luke don't figure to go anywhere, nor should they.  At some point, yeah, I would very much like to see much less of Smith, but you don't see too many moves being made this early.  I expect Fitz will wait for Miller to be healthy and see how Nemec does with Utica.  I don't think he wants to play Cal Foote over Smith, and I don't he wants to bargain-shop for another body on D...not unless he feels like he has to, anyway.

VV had a solid game yesterday...he can build off that.  He's been solidly average to slightly above the past three seasons, so at this point I think he can be that again.

Schmid is the guy that we don't know about yet; some have already decided that he sucks, but I need more than seven periods before I start worrying about him.  He did show promise last year...doesn't mean that he's a lock to build on it, but it's not like the Devils have the cap room to bring in anyone making decent money at the moment.

I think the Devils as a team just have to work a little harder at getting the puck in their own end...they do get hemmed in a bit and the puck has a way of going to the other team more than it should, but I feel like this can be corrected.

I see a very good team that is still young and needing some seasoning, with problems that can be fixed (or at the least, lessened) as the season goes on.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

You can also add Timo (scoring goals anyway). 

On the surface, it's easy to see that his SOG are down, but his actual attempts are right about where they should be...so it's a question of getting more shots through traffic and hitting the net more.  I would expect both to happen.

That being said, it's just a different situation here...in SJ, it got to the point where a lot of the offense HAD to run through him (look at how little the Sharks are scoring now that he's not there).  Here he does not have to be The Man...especially when Jack and Bratt are starting the season on fire.  I can see Timo scoring less goals but putting up more assists than he did, prior to this season.  It wouldn't surprise me if he puts up a career-high in assists this year (his highest total is 41, set in 2021-22).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

They showed this at the last game lol... 

Heh heh.

Would've been funny if there were a bunch of "NJ" Devils logo twigs hanging from the trees, Blair Witch-style.

On a side note, looking quite forward to the day when the Devils start to turn the tables on the damned Canes.  Damn that team has been such a friggin' thorn in the Devils' sides for far too long.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Looks like it, unfortunately

I’m OK with the color scheme, but really want to see something new done with it.  If it’s just a rehash of the original red and green home whites or away reds…been there done that.

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well fvck. 

Not surprised.  Had a feeling that this was going to be extended.  fvcking Clifton.

• Angry 2

54 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm not exactly for more gear or for skaters to start wearing goalie neck protectors, but turtlenecks that cover the neck area and are cut resistant could work nicely as protection. Sounds innovative. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I'm not exactly for more gear or for skaters to start wearing goalie neck protectors, but turtlenecks that cover the neck area and are cut resistant could work nicely as protection. Sounds innovative. 

The skate resistant stuff Waroad offers is both comfortable and protective.

havent tried the neck ones though. Man I hated wearing mine in high school

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Should go back to it full time

I'll always be in favor of some kind of hybrid jersey...take the RR 2.0, swap out the yellow/gold for green, and the blue for black.  Given the number of teams that seem to be very happy simply going to back to past iterations (such at the Sabres and Flames) as their primary jerseys, if the Devils ever did go back to red and green, I actually wouldn't be that surprised at this point.  I prefer red and black, but if red and green is done correctly, I'm open to it.

Curious to see what happens when the Adidas contact expires after this season.  There will be a fair amount of new or tweaked designs around the league I would imagine.  I think fans have gotten used to the current Devils home and aways, but I don't think that they truly "sing" to anyone, and never did...I think they're just kinda there.  I think there's a very good chance the Adidas layout doesn't survive the transition to Fanatics.

IF (hopefully when) the Devils decide to ditch the current look, just one small request:  enough with "clever" references that 99% of the fans don't give a fvck about.  No sleeve stripes based on the Rockies.  No collar colors based on the Scouts.  And for the love of god no bottom hems based on the Newark fvcking Bulldogs please.  

• Like 1