2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

Just now, Puckbuster said:

Oh, and a team that can win playing boring hockey.  I miss those days of heavy forechecking.

I’d love to see the Devils win a 1-0 defensive battle.  It won’t happen with this group, however.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’d love to see the Devils win a 1-0 defensive battle.  It won’t happen with this group, however.

True, because it starts at the top.  I think the organization is more concerned about developing stars to sell jerseys, rather than winning cups.  I hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 3:18 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well yeah, ya know Smith's just gotta get as many minutes as possible, because he's such an experienced vet and all who's apparently chock full of intangibles.  

Well if Smith was sent down ahead of this physical rag game I wouldve been even more confused. The one thing he does well is play physical and can fight. The directive for this rags game should just be to go run their players into the boards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Well if Smith was sent down ahead of this physical rag game I wouldve been even more confused. The one thing he does well is play physical and can fight. The directive for this rags game should just be to go run their players into the boards.

I was referring to Hatakka having been sent down more than anything else, but yeah, as far as tonight is concerned, throw Smith out there and let him goon it up.  Might be the most purpose he’s ever served here.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Hoping MacD is good to go for tonight. There has to be major penalties tonight. Bottom 6 players should expect the most shifts they’ve seen all year. I don’t want to see Jack out there unless it’s a PP.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 3

i swear to god if Rempe hurts someone else tonight the whole team needs to go berserk on this guy for being a POS who injured other players. Who cares about suspensions at this point! MacD earn your freaking spot even if you have to mug the guy  you lameO enforcer.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I'm all in to pummeling Fox and/or Panarin heavily into the boards.  

Majors?

Don't care

Punish them incessantly and no quarter

Dude, you just hit the nail on the head.

Don't go after Rempe and tell me everything's all better now.  He's played about a whopping 78 minutes for the Rangers this season...they won't miss him one bit...guy probably won't even suit up for any playoff games.

Go after their STARS.  Hey, No Bahls At All...for once, pretend you're not 5' 6" and play as though you're 6' 6".  I want fvcking old-school mayhem tonight.

And yeah, like @devlman just said, lots of minutes for the bottom 6ers tonight.  No one should give a sh!t about the final score...only the aftermath.  

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, devlman said:

Hoping MacD is good to go for tonight. There has to be major penalties tonight. Bottom 6 players should expect the most shifts they’ve seen all year. I don’t want to see Jack out there unless it’s a PP.

Oh I'm sure he'll play... this is literally the point he's even on an NHL roster. He'll make it out there on one leg if needed to. 

• Like 2

The 4th line plays so damn regularly, especially when the game is tied or on the line, giving them a few more minutes will be no issue.

But green will match up Jack and Bratt against Rempe’s line and wonder why they get trucked

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

i swear to god if Rempe hurts someone else tonight the whole team needs to go berserk on this guy for being a POS who injured other players. Who cares about suspensions at this point! MacD earn your freaking spot even if you have to mug the guy  you lameO enforcer.

I want Panarin’s fvcking leg broken tonight

• Like 3

At this point, all I’ve got is whatever this team needed to learn to build off what was such a fun 2022-23 season, if it turns that this sh!tshow of a year was what this team needed to make progress in the years to come…I hope they all learned it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At this point, all I’ve got is whatever this team needed to learn to build off what was such a fun 2022-23 season, if it turns that this sh!tshow of a year was what this team needed to make progress in the years to come…I hope they all learned it.

Yeah, as much as we need to add some talent and fill holes this off season, I think next year will be a lot about attitude and determination. This season should be a huge reality check to the players that making the playoffs let alone winning a Cup is HARD. It takes effort, focus, and execution. 

I really look at our captain and assistant captains. Mostly Nico. Is he mature and experienced enough to lead us there? Personally I think he was given the nod way too early. I prefer my captains to have cut their teeth a bit, so that they're in a position where they can mentor and guide  the rest of the guys on the team. 

It's been a few years so maybe he's there now, but I think Nico really needs to step up and show he has what it takes. Not just in his play, but his attitude and demeanor. We all know his face is in reactions when he himself gets hit and he gets pissed off where he kind of looks like a toddler who's angry, but was he really furious when Rempe took out two of our guys? Or when the team imploded against the Sharks/Jackets/Sens. 

We need a George Washington type guy who can play the role of Commander. 

• Like 1

Nico is a fine captain. And not even close to being on the list of problems with this team. He’s centering one of the best lines in the entire league. Add in his two-way play and I’m not sure what else people want. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Nico is a fine captain. And not even close to being on the list of problems with this team. He’s centering one of the best lines in the entire league. Add in his two-way play and I’m not sure what else people want. 

Agreed.  Nico’s more or less having the same type of season this year as he did last year.  His eleven-game absence has cut into his cumulative stats, but his pace and per-game averages are just about the same today as they were a season ago, and they could be even better next season if he has a chance to play with Timo from Day 1.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Agreed.  Nico’s more or less having the same type of season this year as he did last year.  His eleven-game absence has cut into his cumulative stats, but his pace and per-game averages are just about the same today as they were a season ago, and they could be even better next season if he has a chance to play with Timo from Day 1.

Nico has also done this while playing the toughest minutes on the team. According to PuckIQ, he leads Devils' forwards in percent of ice-time against "elite" competition (39%). He also leads the team in defensive zone starts at five-on-five (169).

Jack, by comparison, plays a far more sheltered role: 32% ice-time against elite competition, 8th among Devils' forwards, and just 67 defensive zone starts (10th among Devils' forwards).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Dude, you just hit the nail on the head.

Don't go after Rempe and tell me everything's all better now.  He's played about a whopping 78 minutes for the Rangers this season...they won't miss him one bit...guy probably won't even suit up for any playoff games.

Go after their STARS.  Hey, No Bahls At All...for once, pretend you're not 5' 6" and play as though you're 6' 6".  I want fvcking old-school mayhem tonight.

And yeah, like @devlman just said, lots of minutes for the bottom 6ers tonight.  No one should give a sh!t about the final score...only the aftermath.  

Cut bait with No Bahls, he ended up getting handled by Goodrow. Goodrow! who went right after him, useless, tits on a bull useless. He serves no purpose. Part of the problem not the answer going forward. Don't give a sh!t about who's coaching him. Sackless puke.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

4-7 in those games btw…

Idk, I’d just much rather have a really good player (top 2 on the team) as captain, even if he’s just a go out there and lead by example type, than some older guy like Greene or Salvador. 

Would anyone prefer Palat as captain just because he’s “cut his teeth” or whatever? I sure as hell wouldn’t. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

It’s not his play; it’s his leadership abilities that NJD was talking about. And I get it. I’d like to see Nico more angry too; set the tone and the expectations. He can definitely improve there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s not his play; it’s his leadership abilities that NJD was talking about. And I get it. I’d like to see Nico more angry too; set the tone and the expectations. He can definitely improve there.

And like I said he leads by example. They had the same captain last year when they were setting franchise records and winning playoff games. 

• Like 2