2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

My parents got me my first TV for my room as a birthday gift when I turned 9. It was like an 8 or 10 inch Panasonic (can’t remember, but it was a small TV). A good friend of my parents worked for Panasonic, so he got them a deal. My sister was jealous as hell 🤣

I remember the very night my dad put my first TV in my room, I stayed up til 1AM to record Porky's on VHS, I might have been 10

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You know what I’m even more pissed off about with the season ending like a morning after binge drinking capped off with Taco Bell?

the fact we knew we were dead, but still trotted out sh!tty veterans on expiring deals or hurt instead of giving guys call ups and chances to see what they have against actual talent.

DeSimone was claimed, played relatively well, but was repeatedly scratched for my favorite player.

Tierney and Nosek brought next to nothing all year but hey, give them one last game instead of Clarke or anyone.

the decisions made by the staff of this year might seriously never stop to piss me off well into the summer

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

You know what I’m even more pissed off about with the season ending like a morning after binge drinking capped off with Taco Bell?

the fact we knew we were dead, but still trotted out sh!tty veterans on expiring deals or hurt instead of giving guys call ups and chances to see what they have against actual talent.

DeSimone was claimed, played relatively well, but was repeatedly scratched for my favorite player.

Tierney and Nosek brought next to nothing all year but hey, give them one last game instead of Clarke or anyone.

the decisions made by the staff of this year might seriously never stop to piss me off well into the summer

Agree, Smith of all people had NO business getting this last game.  fvck him, Green, and Lindy.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Agreed.  Guys like DeSimone and Hatakka should have played over bAHL and Smith.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Agreed.  Guys like DeSimone and Hatakka should have played over bAHL and Smith.

Bahl’s been frustrating as fvck at times but I would’ve played him simply because he still is a “young guy”.

Smith being blindly dressed yet again was a fvcking joke.  It feels like pure trolling at this point.  He ruins EVERYONE he’s paired with.

• Like 3

I'm so burned out from all the missteps this season. Hopefully by the draft I can enjoy it again.

Green needs to announced he's not being retained tomorrow. Same with the staff.

Really hoping Nico goes off about changes needed.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I'm so burned out from all the missteps this season. Hopefully by the draft I can enjoy it again.

Hear ya, I really wanted to see the Devils beat at least one of either the Flyers or Isles, but they’re just cooked and yeah, I’m burned out too.

Yeah hopefully Fitz doesn’t continue this “Well maaaaaaaaaybe Green” charade for long.  There’s no reason at all for it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah hopefully Fitz doesn’t continue this “Well maaaaaaaaaybe Green” charade for long.  There’s no reason at all for it.

I will take a PTO day, drive down to Newark, and fight that motherfvcker if he retains Green. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I will take a PTO day, drive down to Newark, and fight that motherfvcker if he retains Green. 

I don’t think he does it, but for the love of God, this should no longer be a thing by week’s end.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

He explained it that Nosek was here all year and healthy so he deserved to play lol

• Vomiting 1

2 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

I hate the draft stuff, I really need to ignore the Devils sh!t and just enjoy the Red Bulls until October. 

I'm looking forward to the world's tournament cause I just wanna see USA finally win the gold. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I hate the draft stuff, I really need to ignore the Devils sh!t and just enjoy the Red Bulls until October. 

I'm looking forward to the world's tournament cause I just wanna see USA finally win the gold. 

Fitz has me so damn jaded from His inaction all season that I’m pessimistic with him even being involved with team USA.

i hate how one atrocious run of 82 games has made my confidence in him take a steep decline

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Fitz has me so damn jaded from His inaction all season that I’m pessimistic with him even being involved with team USA.

i hate how one atrocious run of 82 games has made my confidence in him take a steep decline

Yeah I think if he had just TRIED to do something (starting with a coaching change, from OUTSIDE the organization, while the season was still alive), he'd be taking a lot less heat from the fans.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I think if he had just TRIED to do something (starting with a coaching change, from OUTSIDE the organization, while the season was still alive), he'd be taking a lot less heat from the fans.

Yep. I just don’t get WHY he sat on his hands as long as he did. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yep. I just don’t get WHY he sat on his hands as long as he did. 

Short answer:  he probably genuinely felt like the answer was in the room, especially with that 14-6-2 run that helped to solidify the Devils in the standings at the time.  And obviously not easy to go to ownership and say “Remember the guy who I backed and signed to an extension?  Well I fvcked up, you mind eating some money on this one?”

Where of course this “insanely patient/hopeful to a destructive fault” approach backfired the most is that now the crosshairs are firmly on Fitz himself.  Last year’s GM darling is this year’s whipping boy, and his regular season is going to continue to be picked apart by just about EVERYONE.  And not so much for the moves that he made, as much for the ones that he didn’t.  If he had made a real coaching change earlier and not gotten results, he gets much more of a pass due to at least having done what everyone would’ve thought made complete sense.

• Like 2

I don't want to come off defending Fitz, but here is some Devils advocate...

With Fitz by knowing by the end of Jan that we lost Hamilton for the season, that Jack's shoulder was going to be a problem rest of the year and dumping McCloud (along with other injuries) not to mention playing 2 D rookies, he figured overpaying for any upgrades (that weren't going to turn us into a cup contender) wasn't worth the cost. I don't totally disagree with that stance. 

I sorta look at it this way. What span of Jack's career should be more impactful. His 18-24yrs or his 25 to 31yrs? I think gearing up for that second span is a driving force for thier plan, right or wrong. 

I have no defense for keeping Ruff, in fact I condem him on that one.

I'm OK with Fitz, but this summer is his last chance saloon. There I want to see what basically all us want to see, coaching - goalie - upgrades anywhere else you can. 

Edited by John Wensink
grammar
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

With Fitz by knowing by the end of Jan that we lost Hamilton for the season, that Jack's shoulder was going to be a problem rest of the year and dumping McCloud (along with other injuries) not to mention playing 2 D rookies, he figured overpaying for any upgrades (that weren't going to turn us into a cup contender) wasn't worth the cost. I don't totally disagree with that stance. 

I sorta look at it this way. What span of Jack's career should be more impactful. His 18-24yrs or his 25 to 31yrs? I think gearing up for that second span is a driving force for thier plan, right or wrong. 

I'm OK with Fitz, but this summer is his last chance saloon. There I want to see what basically all us want to see, coaching - goalie - upgrades anywhere else you can. 

The bolded is where I think you can REALLY get on him.  Even before personnel moves, I would've at least liked to have seen him try a different coach.

Dougie being on LTIR freed up enough money that I think Fitz could've brought someone decent in that was on an expiring deal (as to not see his cap buggered up the following season).  Of course it would have been nice to see Miller and others not get scratched on occasion so fvcking SMITH could play.

If there was a move to help the Devils this year and beyond, I would've been up for such a move.  But I agree in that I wasn't looking for any "All In" moves, based on everything else (the injuries, etc).  Was looking more for this season not to be so easily allowed to fall apart.    

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

Some good points there. I'll add to it by saying we don't know how much Fitz tried to make changes, both to the head coach or players, but the people he wanted weren't available or were overpriced. Having said that, my faith in him has gone down several notches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded is where I think you can REALLY get on him.  Even before personnel moves, I would've at least liked to have seen him try a different coach.

Dougie being on LTIR freed up enough money that I think Fitz could've brought someone decent in that was on an expiring deal (as to not see his cap buggered up the following season).  Of course it would have been nice to see Miller and others not get scratched on occasion so fvcking SMITH could play.

If there was a move to help the Devils this year and beyond, I would've been up for such a move.  But I agree in that I wasn't looking for any "All In" moves, based on everything else (the injuries, etc).  Was looking more for this season not to be so easily allowed to fall apart.    

I never thought about getting a pending UFA. Depending on cost I'd of liked that. As for trade costs, I think he was being held up left and right. Especially for a goalie. Glad for no overspend. For me he's on the clock now, interested to see what he thinks we need.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

I never thought about getting a pending UFA. Depending on cost I'd of liked that. As for trade costs, I think he was being held up left and right. Especially for a goalie. Glad for no overspend. For me he's on the clock now, interested to see what he thinks we need.

The core is on the clock, really (here's their ages for next season...posted it elsewhere previously):

Jack Hughes:  23  (last 3 seasons:  189 GP, 229 Pts)

Nico Hischier:  25/26  (last 3 seasons:  222 GP, 207 Pts)

Jesper Bratt:  26  (last 3 seasons:  240 GP, 229 Pts)

Timo Meier:  28  (last 3 seasons:  224 GP, 194 Pts)

Dougie Hamilton:  31  (last 3 seasons:  164 GP, 120 Pts)

Luke Hughes:  21

Simon Nemec:  20/21

Luke and Simon obviously haven't reached their primes yet, but the rest are there.  FWIW, Dawson will be 23, and Marino and Siegs will be 27.  Speaking of Dawson, he wound up with just 7 points over his last 30 GP...Devils gotta figure out what the hell happened with him.  It's great that he played in every game for the third straight year but goddamn I barely noticed him way too much of the time.  

Still a lot of youth, but from now, each season needs to be approached with real urgency.

The one thing that I take some solace in...as much as it sucks to miss the playoffs yet again (obvious been a LOT of that since 2012), I can't really make a remotely compelling case that this year's team was going deep, let alone winning in the first round...especially with Jack not being 100% and nonexistent coaching, and a lot of guys not playing up to last year's levels.

So I guess take the Top 10 pick and go into next season thinking, in Fitz's own words:  "The window starts NOW.  Playoffs or bust!" 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not bringing in another veteran defenseman with that LTIR space was criminal and a major reason we’ve missed the playoffs.

And it’s not like the universe didn’t beg Fitz to make a move - so many dmen got hurt, many at once at times; the goaltending continuing to show how bad it was; the major minutes unfairly thrust upon the young defensemen; the first goal conceded debacle; late goals conceded; giving up goals in bunches.

And yet Fitz sat there….infuriating, especially given that the universe begged us to grab a playoff spot.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, devlman said:

Not bringing in another veteran defenseman with that LTIR space was criminal and a major reason we’ve missed the playoffs.

And it’s not like the universe didn’t beg Fitz to make a move - so many dmen got hurt, many at once at times; the goaltending continuing to show how bad it was; the major minutes unfairly thrust upon the young defensemen; the first goal conceded debacle; late goals conceded; giving up goals in bunches.

And yet Fitz sat there….infuriating, especially given that the universe begged us to grab a playoff spot.

Even more irritating at the time was being nowhere to be found.  Fans AND media alike were wondering where the hell he even was.  

• Like 4