GDT: Washington @ Devils 7:30 PM TNT/MAX

MadDog2020

So what did I miss?

Finally caught up, wasn’t necessarily despondent after that first period (given the opponent), but definitely aggravated.

Man this team has some serious fvcking firepower.

Not panicking about Schmid yet, but he’s just gotta be better, end of story.

• Like 2

Just now, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Ovie deserves an Oscar for that flop

Definitely embellished 

17 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I bet some jelly was thrown

I know there's some merit to the story, but wouldn't it be fvcking hilarious of a team tradition to meme about. 

"I'M GETTIN THE JELLY JAR!" 

"NO! IT'S NOT TIME YET JACK." 

Bahl has been excellent, but Marino is still trying to do too much. He's been better than in previous games, but he just tried to "Jack Hughes" his way past a forechecker there which led to a turnover that he was able to get back luckily and THEN he made a good bounce pass up the ice. 

Just make the simple pass up the ice. We don't need Marino to be trying off his cool new dekes unless it's getting the puck up the ice. We get it, you have some skill, but let's put those defensive skills first as a priority. 

Started the game about 45 minutes late.  I guess I should have just tuned in live and skipped the 1st.  Disappointed in Schmidt’s performance but damn this team is breathtaking to watch when they get going.   

Let’s kill this penalty and then run them out of the building for all the years of handing us soul crushing losses for the last decade.   

58 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Where are all the people who gave me sh!t when I said the devils were going to have a goaltending issue and needed to try to make a move somewhere? Time to crawl out of your holes now. 

Again, name the goalie that you wanted and what you wanted to give up for him.

Hellebuyck has an .881 save% so far.  Yeah I expect that to improve but not like he’s been light’s out so far in the very early going.

At any rate, no way would I want him at his cap hit for 7 years (and that contract doesn’t kick in until next year).

The biggest issue that I have with the Devils over the years re:  goaltending is why did they NEVER explore the Russian market?  Couldn’t take a shot on just ONE of those goalies through the years?

GMs are much more patient than fans…Fitz is not going to give up on Schmid anytime soon.  But I expect the Devils to now ride VV for a while. 

2 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Absolutely unreal to me. 

I think Pally is fine, he had a good chance in the first and he had 1 or 2 more chances in that 2nd. Bratt almost set him up for a backdoor and Shepard made the stop. 

Eh, I defended him a lot last season because of the injury/surgery, but I expect more this season. He’s been a passenger so far. Dude is making almost $2 million more than Toffoli, and their impacts have been polar opposite. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Again, name the goalie that you wanted and what you wanted to give up for him.

Hellebuyck has an .881 save% so far.  Yeah I expect that to improve but not like he’s been light’s out so far in the very early going.

At any rate, no way would I want him at his cap hit for 7 years (and that contract doesn’t kick in until next year).

The biggest issue that I have with the Devils over the years re:  goaltending is why did they NEVER explore the Russian market?  Couldn’t take a shot on just ONE of those goalies through the years?

GMs are much more patient than fans…Fitz is not going to give up on Schmid anytime soon.  But I expect the Devils to now ride VV for a while. 

If we are talking about interesting young goalies, I like Kochetkov, but he's struggled early too. There's was a little bit of buzz around Askarov. There's Wallstedt in Minny if Gustavsson keeps getting it done. 

Those are the kind of guys you need to be scouting and looking at. It's possible to grab a 3rd goalie for next to nothing. Kochetkov is stuck behind Anderson and Raanta who both tend to get injured.

Edited by RizzMB30

3 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

Holtz has played well overall but he seems shaky. Losses his balance often, losses the puck, passes aren’t crisp. Also, that pass from Palat at the end was perfect and missed it. Thoughts?

Had his best game of the season last night. Tonight not so much. He’s going to continue to be up and down. Just want to see more good games than bad at this point. 

• Like 1