GDT: Devils host Minnesota Adjective - 29 Oct @ 5pm

jagknife

McLeod looked good. Holtz looked good. Marino looked good. VV looked good. Haula looking good. Bratt looked great. Jack looked like Jack.

Too bad Toffoli whiffed on that open net.

Timo's assists are saving him from more criticism but he's NJD highest paid forward so... Only goes so far.

Palat and Mercer are passengers so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

McLeod looked good. Holtz looked good. Marino looked good. VV looked good. Haula looking good. Bratt looked great. Jack looked like Jack.

Too bad Toffoli whiffed on that open net.

Timo's assists are saving him from more criticism but he's NJD highest paid forward so... Only goes so far.

Palat and Mercer are passengers so far.

Obviously many ways to approach how we critique these games and players…one thing I’d say I’ve learned from the last several seasons is patience.

re:  Timo, the goals will come.  Maybe not as quickly as we’d all like, but they WILL come (check his start last year).  But at least he’s been a part of things…all seven of his points have come in the last five games.  He’s responded to that early benching.  I think by season’s end we’ll be happy with his numbers.

I think Mercer will get it going eventually…ya just hope this doesn’t fvck with his head too much.  This whole no-points-at-all funk is just…weird.

I think Palat’s value to the team was never quite about pure production as it was about getting a vet who knew a little something about winning and how to step up in bigger games…his time to shine isn’t necessarily in October.  Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to see him to start producing more though.

Of course not having Nico will hurt if it’s for several games, but there’s some serious depth here.  9 goals in the last two games.  Jack has one point.

Luke suddenly up to 6 points in 8 games.  Luuuuuuuuuuuuke…

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Obviously many ways to approach how we critique these games and players…one thing I’d say I’ve learned from the last several seasons is patience.

re:  Timo, the goals will come.  Maybe not as quickly as we’d all like, but they WILL come (check his start last year).  But at least he’s been a part of things…all seven of his points have come in the last five games.  He’s responded to that early benching.  I think by season’s end we’ll be happy with his numbers.

I think Mercer will get it going eventually…ya just hope this doesn’t fvck with his head too much.  This whole no-points-at-all funk is just…weird.

I think Palat’s value to the team was never quite about pure production as it was about getting a vet who knew a little something about winning and how to step up in bigger games…his time to shine isn’t necessarily in October.  Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to see him to start producing more though.

Of course not having Nico will hurt if it’s for several games, but there’s some serious depth here.  9 goals in the last two games.  Jack has one point.

Luke suddenly up to 6 points in 8 games.  Luuuuuuuuuuuuke…

I am not worried about Mercer. His core mechanics are strong. He's good on the puck and strong along the boards. His play away from the puck is rarely noticeably bad. 

I think he'll find his game. Could you imagine if Holtz trends up and Mercer trends down? While Holtzy ceiling might be a little higher, there is no reason that Dawson Mercer can't hit 45-65 points each year playing in the top 6. 

6 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

I am not worried about Mercer. His core mechanics are strong. He's good on the puck and strong along the boards. His play away from the puck is rarely noticeably bad. 

I think he'll find his game. Could you imagine if Holtz trends up and Mercer trends down? While Holtzy ceiling might be a little higher, there is no reason that Dawson Mercer can't hit 45-65 points each year playing in the top 6. 

Re:  Holtz and Mercer:

I'd say in the grand scheme, Holtz is about a year behind where the Devils were hoping he'd be at this point in his career...which really isn't so bad (think of all the Top-10 picks who don't ever make it or flame out relatively quickly).  And it's not all rosy with him...he still drags down lines at times, and there's still moments where he looks a little slow.

BUT, he has been good enough to deserve to continue to not be healthy-scratched, and unlike his previous NHL stints, he at least looks like he's a NHLer (and he's had a couple of terrific games to boot).  Does that mean he'll ever reach his ultimate upside?  I don't know.  But at least he looks like a rookie who's now on the spectrum of "long way to go but belongs"; this was NOT the case previously.  If Holtz plays in 70+ games this season and is a guy the Devils feel comfortable putting on the postseason roster, I'll consider this season a success, even if he doesn't wind up with eye-popping glamour numbers.  So far this season has been a nice step forward.

Re:  Mercer, I do think he'll be OK, but the lack of SOG (only 6 so far) is an early red flag.  I think he could've had a couple SOG yesterday, but I think that whole mess with Lazar shows that he's lacking confidence at the moment.  I think once he gets that first one (even if it's an ENG...I really was hoping he'd score one last night), he'll be able to exhale.  And then the points will start to come.

Whenever Hischier gets back, I hope Mercer's with him.  I can't say that I'll ever love Palat in the Top 6.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Mercer, I do think he'll be OK, but the lack of SOG (only 6 so far) is an early red flag.  I think he could've had a couple SOG yesterday, but I think that whole mess with Lazar shows that he's lacking confidence at the moment.  I think once he gets that first one (even if it's an ENG...I really was hoping he'd score one last night), he'll be able to exhale.  And then the points will start to come.

He's at the point he's totally pass first.

That's not good. Craps in his head it appears to me

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

He's at the point he's totally pass first.

That's not good. Craps in his head it appears to me

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if even Lazar himself said to Dawson "C'mon man, what are you passing it back to ME for?!  You should've ripped that one man!"

Like I said, I do 100% think he's going to get past this, but it's going to take shooting the puck...can't pass up looks like that.  Especially when it's a guy like Lazar that you're leaving it up to.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if even Lazar himself said to Dawson "C'mon man, what are you passing it back to ME for?!  You should've ripped that one man!"

Like I said, I do 100% think he's going to get past this, but it's going to take shooting the puck...can't pass up looks like that.  Especially when it's a guy like Lazar that you're leaving it up to.   

Yep.......he gave it back to him when Curtis was on top of MAF and he could have EASILY ripped it

• Like 1