GDT: Washington @ Devils 7:00 PM MSGSN

MadDog2020

Regardless of the intriguing 3rd period, they played another bad game. 20 min efforts are unacceptable in a 60 min game. Even if they miraculously won it, I'd say exactly the same. Ironically, it's Brendan Smith who made it look like a game by sending Ovi, Wilson, and Oshie flying. Meyer and Mercer both had half of the net to score. The team looked ..... (fill in the blank). It's time to wake the fvck up with or without Jack and Nico in the lineup. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

Regardless of the intriguing 3rd period, they played another bad game. 20 min efforts are unacceptable in a 60 min game. Even if they miraculously won it, I'd say exactly the same. Ironically, it's Brendan Smith who made it look like a game by sending Ovi, Wilson, and Oshie flying. Meyer and Mercer both had half of the net to score. The team looked ..... (fill in the blank). It's time to wake the fvck up with or without Jack and Nico in the lineup. 

Jack saved Ruff's bacon last year, let's be honest. Ruff keeps his job because of individual talent pulling out wins, not his coaching ability. 

The most disappointing thing is that I thought this period of time without our two star centers was a good chance for someone other than Jack to step up and really assert themselves.  Bratt still looks the part but the points have dried up and the rest are just kind of meh.   

On the bright side, Schmid posted a .952 sv% tonight  

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

The most disappointing thing is that I thought this period of time without our two star centers was a good chance for someone other than Jack to step up and really assert themselves.  Bratt still looks the part but the points have dried up and the rest are just kind of meh.   

On the bright side, Schmid posted a .952 sv% tonight  

Exactly. No doubt Schmid was good. I get why Ruff pulled VV, but our swiss cheese defense can make any goalie look miserable. So far, Chicago was the only team that encountered our normal defense. Everybody elese skated right through...

They will be fine and make the playoffs.  They’re missing their two star centers and are going through some adversity early in the season.  Better now than later.  I hope they take their time with Nico and Jack so they can comeback 100% so they can be a wagon come playoff time.  Just remember, the window just opened.  It takes time to win a cup.

I will say this about Jack and Nico.  They have to be smarter when sacrificing their bodies.  They can’t keep going out there and putting themselves in situations where they get injured.  It’s great that they go out there and lead by giving it all, but losing either one for long stretches is not good for them or the team.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I will say this about Jack and Nico.  They have to be smarter when sacrificing their bodies.  They can’t keep going out there and putting themselves in situations where they get injured.  It’s great that they go out there and lead by giving it all, but losing either one for long stretches is not good for them or the team.

I mean, Jack just lost an edge and crashed into the boards. What would you have liked him to do differently there? 

Edited by Nicomo

Didn’t get to see this one (in Orlando).

Given the state of much of the rest of the division and the fact that Jack will be coming back, it’s not panic time (like it absolutely is in Edmonton), but it’s pretty obvious that the team as a whole simply HAS to play better…and that starts with the head coach.

Lindy’s plusses so far seem to be that his team genuinely seems to like him a LOT and they do play hard for him…not playing well is not necessarily indicative of not caring or trying.  At the same time, with the exception of the playoff series vs the Rangers, he’s never struck me as a guy who’s been all that great at making adjustments.  His approach this year seems to be more about being less patient and being quicker to call his team out when they’re playing meh…great, but why are the same issues (like iffy first periods) persisting?  And the idea of scratching Holtz (who even with bad metrics hasn’t ever seemed like a major problem this season) reeks of a head coach who’s already running out of answers.

Lindy, you were dealt a major blow, no one would deny that, but sometimes ya gotta show that you’re more than just a player’s coach who quickly gets exposed when he doesn’t have everyone healthy. There’s enough talent left to scrape by with.

And yeah, part of what’s going on isn’t all on Schmid and VV, but they gotta pick it up…or at least find much more consistency.  There’s been fans and media alike ready to pounce on the Devils’ netminders, and they’ve gotta find a way to silence them.  The doubters are only going to keep the chirping up as long as the save%s remain under .900.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I mean, Jack just lost an edge and crashed into the boards. What would you have liked him to do differently there? 

Ditto Nico…he was on the receiving end of a hit that caught him just “right”.  Not like either player was being reckless.

8 hours ago, devlman said:

Eric Haula hasnt looked like he’s given two sh!ts all season. Slowest forward on the ice. Passenger. Just like Palat, just like Lazar.

Respectfully and vehemently disagree on Haula. Unlike last season, he actually got off on the right foot and was playing really well until the injuries happened. Then Lindy stapled him on the checking line and has decided to double shift McLeod…

Lazar has been playing his balls off and until last night had a nice points streak going. He’s playing the body, getting into scoring areas and actually blocking shots, smart defensive hockey unlike Smith whose greatest contribution in a Devils’ jersey was putting ovechkin on his ass and knocking Wilson’s helmet off.

Palat, however, has done nothing to impress me, and I was psyched when we signed him. He’s just simply not doing enough, at all, to warrant a 6m cap hit.

• Like 1

The bad.

1 Ruff dressing Tierney instead of Wilhelm 

2 Ruff not putting mccloud out for the faceoff with 20 seconds to go in the period on the powerplay,we need the puck there

3 Ruff stapling holtz to tierney and the bench when holtz seemed to be the only one able to skate the puck in on the powerplay

4 Ruffs  inane shuffling of lines with no reasons why this guy is with another, just monkey throwing sh!t to make art

5 Smith, after sh!tting the game away , your hits do NOT make up for it

6 just a question, whos team is this? I guess the grown men here need the basically two children to come back so we can play well.

The good.

Shmid played well

Edited by ringtwins

46 minutes ago, ringtwins said:

6 just a question, whos team is this? I guess the grown men here need the basically two children to come back so we can play well.

You mean the one guy who’s 22 and the other guy who’s 24? I wasn’t aware that people in their early 20’s aren’t grown adults. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ditto Nico…he was on the receiving end of a hit that caught him just “right”.  Not like either player was being reckless.

Disagree with Jack - it was pretty clear to me that that was one of those moments where Jack took it upon himself to try to do a little extra.  Dude seemed hell bent on crashing the net, which I think is a catalyst from him always trying to do everything and make something out of nothing.  Which I think was Puckbuster's point.  

Jack is electric and he often is a wizard, and certainly you want your best players giving it their all, but I don't want him being wreckless either.  

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Disagree with Jack - it was pretty clear to me that that was one of those moments where Jack took it upon himself to try to do a little extra.  Dude seemed hell bent on crashing the net, which I think is a catalyst from him always trying to do everything and make something out of nothing.  Which I think was Puckbuster's point.  

Jack is electric and he often is a wizard, and certainly you want your best players giving it their all, but I don't want him being wreckless either.  

There was absolutely nothing “wreckless” about that play. Nothing. He wasn’t even skating anywhere close to his full speed. Or “crashing the net.” It was as routine a hockey play as it gets  

Edited by Nicomo