Options in Net

smelly

4 hours ago, smelly said:

1. Sucks

2.  Don’t ever want to see him in a Devils jersey again. 

3. Sucks

4. Good goalie but they’re finally building something good and they ain’t trading him. 

5. They’re ahead of us in the standings and even if things change, they ain’t sending him our way.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

1. Sucks

2.  Don’t ever want to see him in a Devils jersey again. 

3. Sucks

4. Good goalie but they’re finally building something good and they ain’t trading him. 

5. They’re ahead of us in the standings and even if things change, they ain’t sending him our way.   

So stick with the Devils’ current tandem?

1. Sucks

2. Sucks

The point isn’t to find an all-star; it’s to stanch the ongoing hemorrhaging. 

9 hours ago, smelly said:

1. Sucks

2. Sucks

i thought you said hemorrhoid, same thing. devils need to learn how to play better. that's literally it. v and Schmid aren't that bad. 

Edited by pumpkin cutter
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, smelly said:

1. Sucks

2. Sucks

Stanch the ongoing hemorrhaging? I feel like that's the opposite of what we need.  If we're giving up on both Vanecek and Schmid, we need a goalie who is young and going to be part of our future - we are close to being done with our rebuild and should be on the up and up with our current core of players. We don't need an aging veteran goalie who's stop-gap for just a season or two. 

Schmid is young and there's no reason to bail on him yet.  He played well in the playoffs last year and perhaps he should get the lion's share of playing time instead of VV and see how he handles it.  We'd be better served to trade for or try to pick up a stay-at-home defenseman somewhere, rather than reach for a goalie who might not be an upgrade over what we have now. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Stanch the ongoing hemorrhaging? I feel like that's the opposite of what we need.  If we're giving up on both Vanecek and Schmid, we need a goalie who is young and going to be part of our future - we are close to being done with our rebuild and should be on the up and up with our current core of players. We don't need an aging veteran goalie who's stop-gap for just a season or two. 

Schmid is young and there's no reason to bail on him yet.  He played well in the playoffs last year and perhaps he should get the lion's share of playing time instead of VV and see how he handles it.  We'd be better served to trade for or try to pick up a stay-at-home defenseman somewhere, rather than reach for a goalie who might not be an upgrade over what we have now. 

The ultimate goal is to find a permanent solution. 

But that ship has probably sailed until the offseason  

So the immediate objective is to salvage this season.

5 minutes ago, HughesCorporation said:

No need to give up assets for a lateral move in goal, we might just have to suck it up this season and see who's available at the trade deadline or during the off season 

Well, as I noted in the Fitz’s Choice thread those are the options - act aggressively now or decide that the smarter play is to potentially write off the season. 

But as I have been saying since April, the reality is that you only have so many years left of a grossly underpaid Jack and Nico, and Luke on an ELC - the window gets narrower before you know it. I don’t think Fitz can simply stand pat. 

Edited by smelly

The thing that's also concerning is if the goaltending isn't addressed and they start missing the playoffs, will some of our stars request a trade after 2-3 seasons? Especially one notable star, if his brother's team in Vancouver looks like a serious contender by then?

Edited by slasher72

1 hour ago, HughesCorporation said:

No need to give up assets for a lateral move in goal, we might just have to suck it up this season and see who's available at the trade deadline or during the off season 

I’m leaning this way for now for exactly this reason…I’m not convinced that anyone who might be available right now is some lock to make a real difference…not anyone I’d want to give up any real assets for.

VV’s last three seasons grade out as average, average, and a little above average overall, and he’s being paid as such.  Is it the assumption that he can’t possibly regain that form?  Even if some consider last season (and the three terrific runs within) a career year, he was at least decent the prior two years.  Does Fitz need to spend assets and potentially lose what little cap space he has this year to bring in another “hopefully decent” type? 

If there’s a real upgrade that the Devils can get their mitts on this offseason and Fitz decides that some cap space that might have gone to Mercer might instead have to go to a new goalie, OK, I’m listening.  But even though I get some fans are absolutely not happy with how VV and Schmid have played to date, I think I’d see if I can pry away one Calgary’s vet d-men first.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

The thing that's also concerning is if the goaltending isn't addressed and they start missing the playoffs, will some of our stars request a trade after 2-3 seasons? Especially one notable star, if his brother's team in Vancouver looks like a serious contender by then?

The Devils aren’t tied into VV or Schmid longterm.  No reason to believe that Fitz (who has been very active as the Devils’ GM) won’t try to upgrade, especially if (when?) he’s convinced that he has no other choice.

19 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Can we not? :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.cecba198d1edc3a41b0ecd29c80d6714.jpeg

Cory begs to differ. :P

Ditto Roy, though obviously a lot of sh!t led to his being dealt.

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m leaning this way for now for exactly this reason…I’m not convinced that anyone who might be available right now is some lock to make a real difference…not anyone I’d want to give up any real assets for.

VV’s last three seasons grade out as average, average, and a little above average overall, and he’s being paid as such.  Is it the assumption that he can’t possibly regain that form?  Even if some consider last season (and the three terrific runs within) a career year, he was at least decent the prior two years.  Does Fitz need to spend assets and potentially lose what little cap space he has this year to bring in another “hopefully decent” type? 

If there’s a real upgrade that the Devils can get their mitts on this offseason and Fitz decides that some cap space that might have gone to Mercer might instead have to go to a new goalie, OK, I’m listening.  But even though I get some fans are absolutely not happy with how VV and Schmid have played to date, I think I’d see if I can pry away one Calgary’s vet d-men first.

Well, Vanacek’s “above average” season gets a big fat asterisk, since he really regressed over the last third of the season and then was an utter dumpster fire in the playoffs. So, considering his career overall, the first part of last year was indisputably the exception not the rule. 

I also fail to understand why you would support giving up what would likely be substantial assets to acquire Calgary’s pending UFA D instead of taking a flier on a cheaper goalie who wasn’t certain to walk this summer. 

Bahl, Smith etc. aren’t killing it this year, but their salaries align with what they are delivering on the ice also. 

Edited by smelly

4 minutes ago, smelly said:

Well, Vanacek’s “above average” season gets a big fat asterisk, since he really regressed over the last third of the season and then was an utter dumpster fire in the playoffs. So, considering his career overall, the first part of last year was indisputably the exception not the rule. 

I also fail to understand why you would support giving up what would likely be substantial assets to acquire Calgary’s pending UFA D instead of taking a flier on a cheaper goalie who wasn’t certain to walk this summer. 

Bahl, Smith etc. aren’t killing it this year, but their salaries align with what they are delivering on the ice also. 

He put up a .925 save% over his final 11 regular season games.  Look up his game log and you’ll see that after two rough appearances to start the year, he basically had three terrific runs, and in between those runs, he had a couple of brief slumps (about 5 games each).  He was not good in the playoffs, no real debate there.  But he was better overall in the 2022-23 regular season than you’re willing to give him credit for.

Your point re:  bringing in one of the Flames vets is fair, and it would depend on the asking price.  If the Devils did make a move involving Bahl, I would like to see Fitz try to keep whoever he’d bring in…wouldn’t be easy, and if you’d rather just stick with Bahl and hope that he’ll figure it out, I wouldn’t be completely against it…for “immediately right this second”, even though it feels like the team can use a shakeup, I’d consider Smith being scratched a huge step forward.  That guy should not be playing.

I personally think the defense needs to improve or at least start gelling before a switch up in net is absolutely necessary. With the games I've been watching, it's hard to place too much blame on Akira or Vitek when the defense is constantly out of position and gives up a million 2 on 1 chances. Smith is dead weight, and needs to not play. Like ever

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He put up a .925 save% over his final 11 regular season games.  Look up his game log and you’ll see that after two rough appearances to start the year, he basically had three terrific runs, and in between those runs, he had a couple of brief slumps (about 5 games each).  He was not good in the playoffs, no real debate there.  But he was better overall in the 2022-23 regular season than you’re willing to give him credit for.

Your point re:  bringing in one of the Flames vets is fair, and it would depend on the asking price.  If the Devils did make a move involving Bahl, I would like to see Fitz try to keep whoever he’d bring in…wouldn’t be easy, and if you’d rather just stick with Bahl and hope that he’ll figure it out, I wouldn’t be completely against it…for “immediately right this second”, even though it feels like the team can use a shakeup, I’d consider Smith being scratched a huge step forward.  That guy should not be playing.

He most definitely should not. 

45 minutes ago, smelly said:

Well this quite an understatement.

Smith is leading the team in PIM (19) despite averaging significantly less ice time (14:50) than the rest of the defense. Not to mention he drags down every single d-partner who’s unlucky enough to be saddled with him.

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well this quite an understatement.

Smith is leading the team in PIM (19) despite averaging significantly less ice time (14:50) than the rest of the defense. Not to mention he drags down every single d-partner who’s unlucky enough to be saddled with him.

I was being kind. 

That’s exactly why I said in the Fitz post that they need at least one and ideally two defensive stalwarts - they don’t even need to have any offensive aptitude whatsoever. 

Whether that’s realistic remains to be seen. 

The bottom line is that Fitz opted to sacrifice strength on the blue line and to forego any upgrade in net in order to bring all of his Fs back. That was a defensible approach, and he knew darn well what he was doing. Sad thing is that has apparently imbalanced the roster even more than he expected. 

Edited by smelly