GDT: Columbus @ Devils 3:00 PM MSGSN

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Give the kid the C already

On a related note, I would be very interested in hearing Nico’s thoughts about the team’s performance, as I’m sure he’s been watching.  Perhaps he thinks it’s not his place to criticize others given his absence, but it would be nice for the current captain to step out front and lead verbally until he’s able to once again lead through his play.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

he should get it. nico which we all love would have to accept it? no offense to nico, but he's no leader. 

We'll find out soon...it's not like anyone's really been leading without Nico, especially the last two games.  Jack can throw up all the good quotes he wants, where are guys like he, Palat, Haula, etc saying this sh!t isn't acceptable while they're actually in the locker room?  Performative stuff for the press does nothing when you see the same bullsh!t over and over again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

both got destroyed. didn't watch the devils game, but i assume they pulled a jets. 

They lost 2-1, I wouldn’t say they “got destroyed.” They slept walked through the first two periods and then decided to wake up in the 3rd. Jack and Luke hit about 3 posts between the two of them, and Merzlikins played very well for the Jackets. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Yeah, I'm not a superstitious guy really, but that really is the root of the rut we find ourselves in. 

Something happened in between those 7 games and this start. 

I wonder how much of the start is due to players patting themselves on the back for what they accomplished last season while simultaneously failing to realize that last year’s success means they’re getting their opponent’s best effort every night.  Of course, both of those issues can be mitigated by effective coaching.  [sarcasm]I’m sensing a pattern here, but I can’t imagine why that would be.[/sarcasm]

Edited by ButlerBulldog

51 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I wonder how much of the start is due to players patting themselves on the back for what they accomplished last season while simultaneously failing to realize that last year’s success means they’re getting their opponent’s best effort every night.  Of course, both of those issues can be mitigated by effective coaching.  [sarcasm]I’m sensing a pattern here, but I can’t imagine why that would be.[/sarcasm]

We've all been through watching this team when there is a lack of talent/skill. This isn't that. This is not showing up ready, not playing like they want to win, or not having an idea of what they are supposed to be doing. Last season they got off to plenty of slow first periods, but people let it go because they almost always had dominant second or third periods to come back and win the game. This year it isn't happening. The overwhelming talent and speed that carried them just isn't there this year...and that is with pretty great starts by Jack and Bratt. The second Jack went out, Bratt cooled off, the losses started to pile up. Someone around here has mentioned it, or several people, but the skill of individuals on the team def helped make up for the flaws elsewhere early on and now that nothing is clicking it's just a giant irredeemable pile of poop.

Starting with the game today, the Devils have a pretty weak schedule coming up. If they can't manage to turn the majority of these games against bad/struggling teams into some wins then this could start to look really bad. The runway is finite.

• Like 8

Pretty much spot on ^.  I hate to bring up the Lightning often, but I'm close to the team, and I see in them a lot of what our team could be, given the talent on our roster compared to what they've had for the past 5-7 years. Tonight was another example of how teams with skill can either show up and want it, or not show up.  

They literally hung 8 goals on Raanta tonight.  On just 14 shots! Yes, Raanta played the entire game, and finished with less than a .500 save percentage.  And the Bolts did this ON THE ROAD.  

Here's a little glimpse at what the stars on their team are during.  Stamkos, 9 goals.  Hagel, 10 goals.  Point, 11 goals.  Kucherov, 15 goals.  I know Meier and Nico are hurt (that's another conversation altogether, durability matters), but we need guys like Jack, Toffoli, Bratt, Mercer, and, yes, Palat, to carry this team when the bottom guys aren't supplementing the scoring.   Following up a miserable shutout with a 1 goal performance, at home, against one of the worst teams in the league is fvcking pathetic.  Someone should be lighting the locker room on fire to show that this team has balls and that they care.  So much complacency right now, from the coaching staff on down.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I wouldn’t mind Hamilton getting the healthy scratch tomorrow.   

i know, I know, that means Smith is back on D but honestly, if we’re not using Dougie’s shot at the point on the PP, is there really much difference right now?   He’s been fvcking awful for a while now.   

Hamilton was the difference between 0 and 2 points…again. I’d love for him to be scratched next game. He is straight up trash out there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

he should get it. nico which we all love would have to accept it? no offense to nico, but he's no leader. 

Record with Nico this season 4-2-1

Record without Nico this season 4-7-0

Team has looked lost without him.

• Like 1

Maybe the new coach will remove all letters from the players and then name a C and the A's, Like Sutter did when he took over, and you never know, remember when Elias had the "C" he seemed to be under more pressure than he needed, and when the "C' was removed he could just play his game of hockey again. It's a lot of pressure being captain (especially when the team is struggling) and not every personality can handle it so well. I'd love a new coach and a change here now that we have a more seasoned group of players.

I’m definitely not on this “Nico isn’t fit to be the captain” bandwagon.  

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Record with Nico this season 4-2-1

Record without Nico this season 4-7-0

Team has looked lost without him.

Nico’s presence (or absence, as the case may be) matters.  Jack gets most of the attention—and to be clear, I’m not in any way impugning his skill level or suggesting he doesn’t deserve attention—but Nico stabilizes so many facets of the Devils’ play because he’s effective regardless of whether or not he has the puck or where he is on the ice.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m definitely not on this “Nico isn’t fit to be the captain” bandwagon.  

Me neither, as I’ve simply not seen any evidence that his leadership, or lack thereof, is the problem.  As others have correctly pointed out, durability matters, and Nico’s concussion history is cause for concern, but until he shows himself to be a liability to the team when he’s playing or we’ve evidence his teammates aren’t responding to him, I see no reason to change his status.