GDT: Columbus @ Devils 3:00 PM MSGSN

MadDog2020

10 minutes ago, smelly said:

Shootout stats clearly demonstrate that the G has a material advantage on breakaways.  Schmid needs to stop one of these one of these days.

Woah, hold on now. Shootout stats are super flukey, basically a coin toss every attempt. 

The goalie does not hold an advantage of any kind in a 1v1 situation. He is at the shooters mercy every time and essentially is getting the second move in a chess match. There's a reason why teams would rather commit a penalty than allowing a skilled player to be 1v1 against their goalie. It happens in virtually every game with the level of speed the game is at. 

Schmid does need to make some saves here tho I agree. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Just now, RizzMB30 said:

Woah, hold on now. Shootout stats are super flukey, basically a coin toss every attempt. 

The goalie does not hold an advantage of any kind in a 1v1 situation. He is at the shooters mercy every time and essentially is getting the second move in a chess match. There's a reason why teams would rather commit a penalty than allowing a skilled player to be 1v1 against their goalie. It happens in virtually every game with the level of speed. 

With all due respect, this is simply untrue.

The shootout has been in place now for 17-plus years.  There is way more data than necessary to know that the trends are not at all random.

Shooters score 33% of the time.

Goalies stop the puck 2/3 of the time.

19 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

He tends to get caught on the boards a lot, or trying a move at the blue line, but he'll figure it out soon. Once he is a little more seasoned, or bulks up a little. I'm satisfied with his play.

He has the skating ability to recover most of the time though. Just did it again. 

• Like 1

Starting to think that for the immediate and long term benefit of the organization they'd be better off losing than squeezing out a win over this (fellow?) bottom-feeder and convincing themselves that their struggles are behind them.

Win or lose, absent a MAJOR turnaround in the quality of their play today, I've seen enough already to conclude that nothing has changed.

Edited by smelly

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I hope they get boo’d off the ice

Some mild booing after the first.