official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

14 hours ago, jagknife said:

Okay so this was a follow up to the officers who were shot that day:

https://apnews.com/article/fargo-north-dakota-police-officer-shooting-d289e29344a93f623620acef9912dfda

needless to say, I’m very VERY grateful for their sacrifice. We’ll never know which was his real target but knowing me and the wife were at one of the two events that were high-volume events (and probably the bigger of the two), they probably saved our lives.

Jeez. Random decision to pull over ended up saving dozens of lives. Glad the one officer was able to stop him there and kill the guy before he got to the arsenal or the bombs. RIP to Wallen. Imagine serving in two military tours then getting killed back home :(

Did everyone hear about the Hamilton, NJ Pipe bomb guy?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-jersey-police-find-suspected-pipe-bombs-after-pulling-man-over-for-traffic-stop

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

been tinkering with chili. the veggie one i made was a lot better than the one i made with beef.

i think i  could go veggie, but i love chickenwings too much. 

Theres a little organic food store in my town, on Sundays they make turkey chili, it's freekin awesome!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awful proof that I'm getting old:

I preordered the iphone 15 pro and had it delivered yesterday. Needed a new phone as my charging port on my 12 no longer worked and my car doesnt support true bluetooth airplay. Watched it get delivered on my doorbell camera, was excited at work cause I had a new shiny toy.

Get home... and life happens, pass out before 9pm. its now 830 my time.... the phone is still in the box and I probably wont be able to set it up until after lunch. :argh:

#Adulting

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

IMG_6912.jpeg

IMG_6909.png

70 points without Waddle is insane. I think Mike McDaniel is starting to put himself in the conversation with Shanahan, McVay, and Reid as one of the best offensive minds in the league. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

70 points without Waddle is insane. I think Mike McDaniel is starting to put himself in the conversation with Shanahan, McVay, and Reid as one of the best offensive minds in the league. 

How is Vance Joseph still employed this morning?

OK, I get that franchises are rarely THAT knee-jerk, but good lord, 726 yards allowed and 70 points given up?!  That's SO outside the spectrum of "acceptably bad".  That reeks of a DC who has absolutely NO idea what he's doing.

Dolphins - Bills coming up on 10/1...should be a hell of a game.  The AFC East belongs to one or the other at this point; the Patriots empire has fully crumbled and things won't get better in NE until BB either realizes that it's time for a proper rebuild or is sent packing, and the Jets season basically ended four plays into Aaron Rodgers' Jets career.  Maybe if Rodgers recovers the Jets can shove their way back into the conversation for 2024, but for at least the next 3 years or so, hard to imagine that the Bills and Dolphins won't be the ones fighting to win the AFC East.

• Like 1

Sooooo not saying that the Dolphins aren’t a good team or are a fraud team (and there’s still plenty of time in their game vs the Bills today)…

…but good lord the Broncos are fvcking terrible.  The BEARS are having their way with them so far.

And just like that the Broncos return a fumble for a TD to tie it up from three scores down.  Well the Bears are pretty awful too.

And the Bears blow it and lose.  Wow.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m so ready for hockey to start. My Bengals are in absolute shambles. Zac Taylor is being completely exposed without a healthy Burrow to cover up his ineptitude. 

Yeah same.  I’m just about done with Mac and BB.  BB obviously had one hell of a run, but it’s just so over for him in New England.  Maybe he has more magic in him if he goes elsewhere and gets a fresh start, and two decades of success (as much as I think he owes a good chunk of that to Brady) is nothing to sneeze at.  But it’s not going to happen in Foxborough anymore.  And that’s OK…NONE of these runs last forever and ever.

Someone new needs to come in, clean up BB’s mess, and embrace a proper rebuild.  And this is absolutely the time to do it…Miami and Buffalo will be battling for NFC East supremacy for a while.  No amount of the duct-taping and Band-Aiding that BB will keep trying is going to close the gap.  

So what is terrifying is I feel like Daniel Jones is going through the same character arc as Ruff:

Everyone who is around them blindly love him, but ANYONE else (especially fans) fears he’s an idiot and isn’t good at his job. (THIS ISNT A SHOT AT LINDY)

Only difference is I HATE Daniel Jones as the Giants QB and I welcome his pathetic failure and don’t hope the team overcomes what was perceived as ineptitude.

I swear I wish I got to sit in a pre-draft interview with Gettleman and Jones. 

Gettleman: “you had a mediocre career in college, why should we draft you?”

Jones, looking up from his coloring book: “I like to try to win.”

Gettleman: “oh say it slower… I love that in a QB”

Future ruined for the next 5+ years…

43 minutes ago, jagknife said:

So what is terrifying is I feel like Daniel Jones is going through the same character arc as Ruff:

Everyone who is around them blindly love him, but ANYONE else (especially fans) fears he’s an idiot and isn’t good at his job. (THIS ISNT A SHOT AT LINDY)

Only difference is I HATE Daniel Jones as the Giants QB and I welcome his pathetic failure and don’t hope the team overcomes what was perceived as ineptitude.

I swear I wish I got to sit in a pre-draft interview with Gettleman and Jones. 

Gettleman: “you had a mediocre career in college, why should we draft you?”

Jones, looking up from his coloring book: “I like to try to win.”

Gettleman: “oh say it slower… I love that in a QB”

Future ruined for the next 5+ years…

Interesting comparison.

I'll never have the warm and fuzzies re:  Ruff as a pure Xs and Os guy, but I do think he realizes that his team doesn't need to be micromanaged and overcoached.  Doesn't mean Ruff isn't being tasked with anything at all of course, but I think he'll chime in and coach just enough (with help from his staff of course) without getting in the way.  I mentioned this in a previous post, but I think knowing when to let your very talented team do its thing and knowing when it's time to get more heavily involved and/or help to channel their abilities is a skill not all coaches have; former Detroit Tiger manager Sparky Anderson once said something to the effect of "If your players want to go out and win, just let them!".  Yeah, sounds kinda simplistic and dumb, but he was basically saying when they clearly have the ability and talent, don't be the coach that finds a way to trample all over it unnecessarily...don't become that detestable control freak who wrecks everything by trying too hard...have some sense of "when".  

I suspect players do enjoy playing for Ruff for that reason, that he's NOT that annoying Ftorek overly hands-on kind of coach, and I get the feeling he's pretty good with people in general.  He probably has some Joe Torre in him...Torre had a way of staying out of the way and having fine people skills and knowing when to get more involved and when to hang back...he knew his teams were plenty good enough that he didn't have to put some egomaniacal personal "See I'm doing stuff see see see!" stamp on every last thing.  I think the Torres and the Ruffs of the world almost accept that some people will say "Well sh!t ANYONE could win with THOSE teams!" and not give them all that much credit if their teams win.  But in the end, they don't care, especially if they and their teams earn some hardware.

Re:  Jones...the problem is that rotten QB play is just SO hard to overcome...maybe you find a way to get more out of them by protecting them with simplified game plans (Alex Smith), and I know the Giants OL is a serious problem, but good lord, Jones looks like the guy who was on his way to being a total bust.  I have no idea what the Giants do to fix this, but that situation is a total mess.  And what is it with a new Giants HC coming in, having a fine first season, and then everything going completely to sh!t the next year?!   

It anyone is looking for a fun horror movie to watch Totally Killer on Amazon was an absolute blast. It’s a slasher, but with elements of Mean Girls and Back to the Future mixed in. If you like this type of horror comedy (think 2020’s Freaky) I highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

My wife is a big Philadelphia Phillies fan and we’re watching their postgame show on the main TV.   If find it so weird that their former GM Reuben Amaro Jr (also of Goldbergs fame) is part of the studio crew.  Could you imagine if Lou were on the MSG postgame show with Ericka breaking down the game?   

On 10/10/2023 at 8:59 PM, Nicomo said:

It anyone is looking for a fun horror movie to watch Totally Killer on Amazon was an absolute blast. It’s a slasher, but with elements of Mean Girls and Back to the Future mixed in. If you like this type of horror comedy (think 2020’s Freaky) I highly recommend it. 

I gotta check that out. 

I just saw When Evil Lurks in the theater, it's coming to shudder towards the end of the month. Just a brutal and bleak movie. Might be my favorite horror movie of the year though. It's so refreshing not to see sh!tty cgi in movies. Acting was great, super tense in some scenes. Just a wild ride.

Only had one real issue towards the end but still worth seeing.

It's in Spanish but subtitles don't bother me, my only complaint in terms of subtitles is I just wish they were a tad bit bigger. I've gone to closed captioning showings for English movies just because the timing worked out better and those are much larger.

I assume it's the studio doing the subtitles to begin with though not the individual theater but still wish they made em just a bit bigger so its easier to read when there's a lot of word s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh man...DeLoreans, heh heh.

I actually knew a couple of guys who owned them (gearheads who bought them for relatively cheap prices, but had the know-how and money to fix them up and get them fully running...both needed a ton of work).

The joke they both made was "88 mph?!  Marty should've just been worried about getting to 60, heh heh!"  The DMC-12 (the proper name for this car) possessed just 130 ponies under the hood.  Though the factory claimed a 0-60 time of 8.8 seconds with a 5-speed manual, most reviewers had a tough time beating 10 seconds.  The DMC-12 looked a lot faster parked and in photos than it ever felt in motion.

There were actually THREE 24K gold DeLoreans manufactured (originally intended to be a limited run of 100).  Two were assembled during the DMC-12's run; one has a black interior, and the other has a brownish tan interior.  A third was converted to gold from an original stainless model after the factory was shut down, with spare "backup" parts originally set aside for the original gold-and-tan DMC-12.  Unforunately, the right gull wing gold shell had gotten damaged at some point, so for this car, the replacement door shell is a noticeably darker shade than the rest of the car (due to a third-party fabricating the replacement).  Two of these "golden geese" are in museums, and the other is in a private collection.  These most special editions were to be sold for $85k (over $270k today...yikes!).

The stainless shell was exactly that; a shell.  The frame itself was largely fiberglass.  Obviously along with the fact that a frame fabricated completely out of stainless steel would've cost a fortune on every single front, I think the idea was that, should any individual shell piece (or pieces) be scratched up, they could be replaced without too much fuss.

And on that note, since not everyone was aware of stainless steel's corrosion-resistant properties, owners would sometimes call dealers complaining that their DMC-12s were "rusting".  What was really happening was that metal debris (from any number of possible sources) were getting on the cars and THOSE items were rusting.  They had no effect on the stainless finish at all...once cleaned off, the cars looked as good as new.

Some owners have done what many other owners would consider pure blasphemy:  they've dared to PAINT their DMC-12s.  I've seen the results, and believe it or not, the ones I've seen painted (one red, one yellow, and one black) actually look plenty badass.  I dig 'em myself.

And due to the factory being shut down, there's actually a good amount of new old stock available, for those who buy ones who needs some serious TLC.

I always thought those cars were kinda cool strictly from a "trying to look cutting-edge and futuristic through the eyes of the early 80s" standpoint.  But even now, on the rare occasion you actually see one, it's hard not to take a long hard look.  Still striking as hell, all these years later.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1