official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

I finally was able to see Come From Away in person last night and as someone who was a teenager in the area when 9/11 happened and then visited New Foundland 15 years later, holy sh!t was it epic.

i know it’s streaming on Apple TV but cannot recommend it enough.

so many funny quips, a few cutting onion moments but it was an excellent show.

the part about being Screeched in as an honorary New Foundlander was hysterically accurate. I still have my certificate from it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I finally was able to see Come From Away in person last night and as someone who was a teenager in the area when 9/11 happened and then visited New Foundland 15 years later, holy sh!t was it epic.

Saw that show a few years ago; great show. 

• EvilHeart 2

8 minutes ago, StarDew said:

For those in Hunterdon, the Walgreens (Clinton) and all stores in strip mall burned down last night. Heart goes out to folks dependant on food pantry and thrift store.

As you know I live very close to that, about 2.5 miles away.

The Walgreens and the Thrift Shop (of course was also the food pantry) definitely did not make it.

Just Subs and JD Liquor are relatively intact, but hard to imagine that they'll be able to reopen anytime soon.  Hard to imagine that the entire building won't be condemned.

The poor owner of JD actually bought the whole building last February, for $6.18 million.  My wife knows someone who was on site, and the owner was there...he was every bit as distraught as you would imagine.  I feel horrible for him.

My wife is also friends with the thrift shop owner (my daughter even bought some items from there, as she enjoys thrifting).  So sad.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The poor owner of JD actually bought the whole building last February, for $6.18 million.  My wife knows someone who was on site, and the owner was there...he was every bit as distraugh

Man. I guess that’s what insurance is for, but that is awful 😞

Edited by MadDog2020

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Man. I guess that’s what insurance is for, but that is awful 😞

For sure, but we know how it goes with insurance, investigations, etc.  It's going to be a lot of red tape and back-and-forth before the cleanup and the rest begin.  For that poor owner, it's gotta feel like SUCH a looooooooong road.  I can't imagine how I'd feel if I ever had my building (which I rent) go up in smoke.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, StarDew said:

Good thing FD few doors down. Other towns FD there also. Gotta find new thrift store to donate too. I am only 6-7 miles from there.

Yeah right across the street!  Imagine if they were even so much as 8-10 miles away.  It's great that Just Subs and JD appear to have been saved, but of course all a question of can they possibly reopen for business with that building in such a state?

I'll actually be in that area tonight.  Had to drive past it this morning on the way to the local Bank Of America branch and it's just hard to believe.  I went to that mall at least 3-5 times per month.  

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Competition gotta love it. I'd just go across the street to the other fast food place on the corner.

The rumor is that other fast food joints will follow suit.

Would love to see that blow up in ALL of their faces.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The rumor is that other fast food joints will follow suit.

Would love to see that blow up in ALL of their faces.  

I rarely eat it as it is, usually only go when the Red Bulls or Devils get eliminated from the playoffs/making the playoffs. I'll just never go now. 

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

I rarely eat it as it is, usually only go when the Red Bulls or Devils get eliminated from the playoffs/making the playoffs. I'll just never go now. 

I eat fast food once or twice a month, at most.  Mostly Chick Fil-A.  We allow my daughter to have McD's once a month...every now and then I'll join her, but pretty much every time I do, I think "That was nothing special", heh heh.

The one way that I can see this kind of thing working is if they offer a mild reduction off current pricing for "off-peak" hours.  At least they'll all seem just a little less unnecessarily greedy...not much, but a little.  These chains might enjoy a "secondary rush" just after the more expensive hours to boot.

There will definitely be some people willing to pay the rush hour premium...not sure how many, but they'll show up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I eat fast food once or twice a month, at most.  Mostly Chick Fil-A.  We allow my daughter to have McD's once a month...every now and then I'll join her, but pretty much every time I do, I think "That was nothing special", heh heh.

The one way that I can see this kind of thing working is if they offer a mild reduction off current pricing for "off-peak" hours.  At least they'll all seem just a little less unnecessarily greedy...not much, but a little.  These chains might enjoy a "secondary rush" just after the more expensive hours to boot.

There will definitely be some people willing to pay the rush hour premium...not sure how many, but they'll show up.

The prices have already gone up way too much, there use to be an actual dollar menu, now everything is expensive and when it's expensive it's impossible to justify it. I can't imagine spending more on it now as it is, it's just not good enough. The frostys shrunk in size years ago too. 

Im sick of the prices everywhere going up. The "inflation" excuse is getting really old. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The prices have already gone up way too much, there use to be an actual dollar menu, now everything is expensive and when it's expensive it's impossible to justify it. I can't imagine spending more on it now as it is, it's just not good enough. The frostys shrunk in size years ago too. 

Im sick of the prices everywhere going up. The "inflation" excuse is getting really old. 

Nothing more than corporate greed.

Anytime I eat fast food, I feel like crap the next day. Not worth any price in my book.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Corporate profits are near a record high. 

Inflation is dropping, but prices aren’t coming down because corporations have enough monopoly power to keep prices high. (Or they’re shrinking the size of the products you’re buying without lowering their prices — a variant of the same thing.)

https://www.commondreams.org/opinion/corporate-greedflation

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I deal with it on my end too.  When I have to get prices as part of a quote for a job that I'm trying to land, some of them seem to go up every time I send an inquiry.  But of course I have customers who seem to live in a bubble where they think they should be getting LOWER prices.  All I say to them at this point is "If the parts are more expensive and my cost of doing business is more expensive, why exactly should your pricing go DOWN?!"  I'm about 12-13 years from retirement and some days that sh!t can't come soon enough.

• Like 1

Driving to my sister's tdy I stopped at a rest stop on GSP and b4 ileft I figured I'd surprise my sis with some Annie's pretzels. When I went to pay the guy says $30 and change. I freaked. For 5 pretzels. I told him forget it and undo transaction. Walked over to Dunkin' for a bagel and tea. Less than $5. Friggin prices. :rant:

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I deal with it on my end too.  When I have to get prices as part of a quote for a job that I'm trying to land, some of them seem to go up every time I send an inquiry.  But of course I have customers who seem to live in a bubble where they think they should be getting LOWER prices.  All I say to them at this point is "If the parts are more expensive and my cost of doing business is more expensive, why exactly should your pricing go DOWN?!"  I'm about 12-13 years from retirement and some days that sh!t can't come soon enough.

I've always done anything I can myself but there are somethings I would have paid for if the prices weren't insane. The quotes for stuff over the past few years and the prices are outlandish.

I don't blame them but it made me decide to just learn to do even more sh!t myself and I'm at the point where unless it's something electrical that's actually dangerous if I fvck it up I'll just watch enough YouTube videos until I'm comfortable doing it myself and then at least I'm only paying the prices for the product and not all the man hours to do the job. 

I'm not even old and I'm turning into a grumpy old man lately, the Devils 9% has increased my old man grumpy syndrome by at least 250%.

Just now, StarDew said:

Driving to my sister's tdy I stopped at a rest stop on GSP and b4 ileft I figured I'd surprise my sis with some Annie's pretzels. When I went to pay the guy says $30 and change. I freaked. For 5 pretzels. I told him forget it and undo transaction. Walked over to Dunkin' for a bagel and tea. Less than $5. Friggin prices. :rant:

The pretzels were $6 EACH?!  What in actual fvck?!  

3 minutes ago, StarDew said:

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The pretzels were $6 EACH?!  What in actual fvck?!  

The rest stop prices are essentially arena prices, it's been that way for years now too I believe. It's because of the "convenience" 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The rest stop prices are essentially arena prices, it's been that way for years now too I believe. It's because of the "convenience" 

Um these were skinny and how long they been sitting in a tray? Arena pretzels are better.

• Like 1