GDT: 12/13 Boston @ Your New Jersey Devils - Can the Devils NOT lose to these friggin' guys?!

Colorado Rockies 1976

9 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

They tend to play better on the road, so I expect a solid effort against the Blue Jackets, but the Sunday game against the Ducks has letdown written all over it.

If they win both games (they're winnable on paper but of course we know how it works in the NHL...even the lesser teams beat some better ones along the way), suddenly they'll be on a 9-2 bender.  It won't be as pretty as that record would suggest, but winning ugly always trumps losing pretty OR ugly.  Would love to see both VV and Schmid turn in solid efforts...and for the D to continue to make progress and for the Devils to try to look less easy to pressure in their end.

• Like 1

Awesome game, so great to finally beat these guys. Jack is just so much fun to watch in ot. 

Side note, I didn't sit in the club seats but had free access to the clubs to eat last night, the food is just so meh, the options were rather limited and the quality was really meh. I can't imagine actually paying to ever sit there and I have no idea how anyone justifies paying to sit there every game.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, smelly said:

You haven’t been reading my posts carefully enough, obviously. 

In any event, there is a reason that nearly every hockey expert who has opined on the subject agrees that goaltender is by far the biggest weak spot on the roster. 

Henrik said exactly that in the TNT COL-BUF postgame even after noting that VV was much better tonite. 

But what does Hank know about hockey, right?

More people might appreciate your posts if you dropped the insufferable condescending douche shtick

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Awesome game, so great to finally beat these guys. Jack is just so much fun to watch in ot. 

Side note, I didn't sit in the club seats but had free access to the clubs to eat last night, the food is just so meh, the options were rather limited and the quality was really meh. I can't imagine actually paying to ever sit there and I have no idea how anyone justifies paying to sit there every game.

I did a review a while back but yeah, I find the club offerings to be the weakest.  The loft's food tends to be better overall for sure...especially when something good is available at the carving stations.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

What a relief to see this team play better defensively and between the pipes. Terrific win.

Still some sluggish starts to games and still one too many anxious moments in their own end, but headed in the right direction.  Would be nice to see Timo get something going...it's not good when I'm finding an actual legit shot on goal as a major cause for celebration.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that goaltending isn’t a problem.  My comment was in reference to another poster’s insistence that the Devils’ problems can be solved merely by acquiring another goaltender.

There is no other goalie to acquire anyway, when frigging John Gibson is the apple of the media’s eye with his stats and his contract - that alone should tell anyone there’s bupkus to trade for 

12 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Schmid has a .912 save% over his last 9 games, and the especially tough game against the Sharks is dragging down that sample.

VV has obviously not been good overall (now up to an .884 save%), and yeah, hopefully his last two starts represents the beginning of him getting on a roll.

Rancid bad for 95% of the games is an exaggeration for sure, but yeah, as a whole it’s needed to be better than it has.  Looks like that might be starting to happen.

Aside from the Flyers stat padding game lot of those other Schmid games were relief appearances though, he flopped spectacularly his two recent chances to keep the starting role over Vitek against the Sharks and Oilers.

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Aside from the Flyers stat padding game lot of those other Schmid games were relief appearances though, he flopped spectacularly his two recent chances to keep the starting role over Vitek against the Sharks and Oilers.

Why are you completely skipping over the Kraken game in between where he put up a .974 SV%?

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

There is no other goalie to acquire anyway, when frigging John Gibson is the apple of the media’s eye with his stats and his contract - that alone should tell anyone there’s bupkus to trade for 

He’s made 10 starts and 2 relief appearances.  Two is not “a lot”.

One of those relief appearances saw him help his team stage a big comeback against the Islanders (he saved all 8 shots that he faced).

And like Nicomo just said, he did have a big start in Seattle where the Kraken were all over the Devils in the third period.

It’s OK if you’re not sold on Akira (I’m not saying you should be, he still has plenty to prove), but you’re better than throwing stuff out there without at least checking, or leaving out games that don’t support any given case.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HughesCorporation said:

I wish Timo had McLeods "drive" 

I said somewhere in this thread that if you took away the numbers I couldn't tell you if it was Nathan Bastian or Timo Meier taking some of the shots Timo took tonight. I give him credit because he has been hitting the net, but idk if I have see so many shots look so constantly nonthreatening. He is getting into position to take the shots, so there is that...but they were all the kinds of shots that an NHL goalie will take all day and Swayman didn't give up a dangerous rebound off basically any of them. It don't think it is really that he is disinterested, but that is definitely one way to describe how it looks. He has to be hurt-- reminds me of when we were all sh!tting on Sal before he retired and then found out he had some serious health issues from taking a puck to the head(iirc).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Why are you completely skipping over the Kraken game in between where he put up a .974 SV%?

He was obviously going to play that game two nights after Vitek coughed up a five-spot in Vancouver.  I'm just tired of complaining Akira should get more games only for him to cough up a hairball every time he does have a chance to take the 1A spot, the Sharks and Oilers games were fvcking brutal, just as brutal as anything Vitek's thrown up this season.  And if he'd played better in those games he would have finally got a run of say, four out of six games and maybe we wouldn't have to be praying Vitek's finally figured it out after one of his handful of actual good games in the last eight months.

I can't even get on the staff for goalie decisions anymore, the guy who should play is the guy who actually puts up two good games in a row, and right now that's Vitek.  Otherwise just rotate them until someone does have two good games in a row, cause neither guy really deserves to play the majority based off of this season.

Edited by NJDevs4978

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He’s made 10 starts and 2 relief appearances.  Two is not “a lot”.

One of those relief appearances saw him help his team stage a big comeback against the Islanders (he saved all 8 shots that he faced).

And like Nicomo just said, he did have a big start in Seattle where the Kraken were all over the Devils in the third period.

It’s OK if you’re not sold on Akira (I’m not saying you should be, he still has plenty to prove), but you’re better than throwing stuff out there without at least checking, or leaving out games that don’t support any given case.

Do I think Schmid is more talented than Vitek, of course.  Do I think he should have gotten more games earlier in the season, sure...but when you finally get a chance to get games, then don't stink it up.  Like I said, I'm tired of advocating for Schmid to get more games only to see him stink it up too.

The fact his numbers are 'almost as bad' as Vitek really doesn't augur well for him getting a chance to play the 1A role this season, especially since Fitz has been open about wanting him to be in Utica.  I'm just tired of watching them both stink it up like it's 2021-22 all over again and always waiting for the killer goal against and I'm tired of them giving the rest of the team an excuse for THEIR bullsh!t.  Even last night the first goal was fvcking dreadful, thank goodness we low evented the game and Vitek made the one or two saves he REALLY needed to make later.

Edited by NJDevs4978

3 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I said somewhere in this thread that if you took away the numbers I couldn't tell you if it was Nathan Bastian or Timo Meier taking some of the shots Timo took tonight. I give him credit because he has been hitting the net, but idk if I have see so many shots look so constantly nonthreatening. He is getting into position to take the shots, so there is that...but they were all the kinds of shots that an NHL goalie will take all day and Swayman didn't give up a dangerous rebound off basically any of them. It don't think it is really that he is disinterested, but that is definitely one way to describe how it looks. He has to be hurt-- reminds me of when we were all sh!tting on Sal before he retired and then found out he had some serious health issues from taking a puck to the head(iirc).

Bastian doesn't even really get shots on net though.  Miles Wood is the comparison you want...that's a guy that'll just take all sorts of wild angle shots to up his Corsi numbers...Timo looked kinda guilty of that last night lol

If Timo was really hurt, don't you think the announcers, for either team on a given night (ours or theirs) would be mentioning it as a possibility; and beyond that, don't you think there'd be at least some type of noticable physical indicator, other than his actual play?  I feel like we'd see him wincing a bit, maybe clutching or grabbing at a particular body part, or certainly in some type of discomfort when he takes and absorbs a hit.  But I don't see any of that. 

I mean just look at Nico - dude grimaces half the time he's on the ice from just about any type of physical contact or play. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

20 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If Timo was really hurt, don't you think the announcers, for either team on a given night (ours or theirs) would be mentioning it as a possibility; and beyond that, don't you think there'd be at least some type of noticable physical indicator, other than his actual play?  I feel like we'd see him wincing a bit, maybe clutching or grabbing at a particular body part, or certainly in some type of discomfort when he takes and absorbs a hit.  But I don't see any of that. 

I mean just look at Nico - dude grimaces half the time he's on the ice from just about any type of physical contact or play. 

This is the NHL you're talking about, they can still hide their injuries well since there's no gambling money on the games unlike the NFL.  We STILL don't know for sure what Nico's injury was, we all know what we suspect it was but never got any confirmation.

Not sure what happened there. Couldn't edit.

I don't know. Can't really explain it. I had no problem recognizing Martin St Louis as a short guy. But I never saw Marchand that way. Maybe I never liked him enough to look further. Should have guessed though as he always had the reputation of being pesky.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Bastian doesn't even really get shots on net though.  Miles Wood is the comparison you want...that's a guy that'll just take all sorts of wild angle shots to up his Corsi numbers...Timo looked kinda guilty of that last night lol

Miles wood isn't on the team so I wouldn't think it was Miles Wood lol. Bastian gets shots, shots that look like the ones Timo was taking.

This is the NHL you're talking about, they can still hide their injuries well since there's no gambling money on the games unlike the NFL.  We STILL don't know for sure what Nico's injury was, we all know what we suspect it was but never got any confirmation.

I get that they can hide it in terms of what they disclose verbally or on paper, especially when the players are actually held out due to injury, but this dude is actually playing, and I feel like we'd at least be able to notice something

Just my thoughts. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

Wrong, tonnes of betting sites with NHL game wagers. In fact when gambling was being proposed one of the arguments I heard for it was more injury transparency. So far that hasn't happened.

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Wrong, tonnes of betting sites with NHL game wagers. In fact when gambling was being proposed one of the arguments I heard for it was more injury transparency. So far that hasn't happened.

You know what I meant...the money that goes into betting on NHL games is a pittance compared to the NFL.  It's basically like comparing the TV ratings between the two, and the amount of NFL gambling is the reason you have complete injury disclosure in that sport.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You know what I meant...the money that goes into betting on NHL games is a pittance compared to the NFL.  It's basically like comparing the TV ratings between the two, and the amount of NFL gambling is the reason you have complete injury disclosure in that sport.

Sports betting in general has gotten huge now that everyone has legal access to it right on their phones. I’d agree with the fact of gambling on nfl games has got to be the most popular, I’d say the nfl is easily the most popular sports league across the country.