Akira Schmid assigned to Utica

RunninWithTheDevil

7 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You think 3.4M per year is high for a goalie? Of course he hasn't earned that with his play this year, but he was much better last year and I would have to imagine more than half the league is making more than he is.

If VV had to go through waivers I think he definitely gets claimed...

I think a team like Seattle, Montreal, basically any team that can afford that would gobble VV up. It just costs them salary cap space to try him out and if he sucks, you can just waive him again. 

It depends on whether other teams think Vanecek's play is a continuous trend or not, but teams LOVE cheap reclamation projects. I feel like I could make an argument for some teams who might want to bring VV in as their number 2 guy for the price they can have him at like Dallas or Toronto. Obviously those teams don't want a goalie to bring them down, but they might be good enough teams that he wouldn't hurt them. 

I think I'd rather see Vanecek in another 100 games first before we talk moving him. I know that's a lot of games and a lot of commitment, but in reality, it's just him playing out a bit more of his contract before a final decision is made. I think we should see Schmid hit 150-200 games before moving him, if at all. I need to look at more stats in terms of how many NHL games it can take for a goalie to hit his top level because I don't know if the Devils have ever had such an goalie who has played so few games before solidifying the job. Last year helped a lot and the trade was great, he's on a good contract. We'll see. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

He gave up 5 goals tonight…

I mean Providence are one of the best teams in the AHL and the comets have fallen off a cliff this year. Going to be hard for him to rebuild his confidence whilst getting shelled weekly in Utica.

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I mean Providence are one of the best teams in the AHL and the comets have fallen off a cliff this year. Going to be hard for him to rebuild his confidence whilst getting shelled weekly in Utica.

Devils legend Jesper Boqvist scored on him. 

• Sad 1

You know I would actually like to see the Daws Schmid combo that we had in Utica a few seasons ago in NJ.

They seemed to drive each other on back then, they brought out the best in each other. At this stage it would be worth trying IMO.

7 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

You know I would actually like to see the Daws Schmid combo that we had in Utica a few seasons ago in NJ.

They seemed to drive each other on back then, they brought out the best in each other. At this stage it would be worth trying IMO.

As others have pointed out, going with a goalie combination that young is fraught with peril, especially on a team with a below-average defense.  With this morning’s news that the trade market for Michael McLeod is heating up, it’s possible the Devils move him (+/- Vanecek) to acquire a veteran goalie or defenseman.

On 12/31/2023 at 1:17 PM, ButlerBulldog said:

As others have pointed out, going with a goalie combination that young is fraught with peril, especially on a team with a below-average defense.  With this morning’s news that the trade market for Michael McLeod is heating up, it’s possible the Devils move him (+/- Vanecek) to acquire a veteran goalie or defenseman.

Can we add Siegenthaler to any trade package? I get his contract isn't the easiest to move but I'd really like to see him off this team. He seems way too comfortable with his job security this year...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Can we add Siegenthaler to any trade package? I get his contract isn't the easiest to move but I'd really like to see him off this team. He seems way too comfortable with his job security this year...

As more information has become available, it’s sounded like the trade rumors concerning McLeod were nothing more than speculation, so he may not be moved as quickly as originally thought.  In any case, I don’t know what’s happened with Siegenthaler that would explain his regression this season, but I agree that Lindy has given him (and Smith) too long a leash.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 1:17 PM, ButlerBulldog said:

I will be very disappointed to see McLeod get traded.  He is one of my favorite players on the team and I enjoy watch him play with Timo and Dawson.  Hopefully, Timo comes back soon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

That rumor has already been dispelled. No reason to keep worrying about it. 

I also think Fitz would rather have as much McLeod as possible, as opposed to not enough.

Basically, keep him through the end of next season, and should he wind up walking at that point for no return, so be it.  Contrary to a former poster’s belief, not like EVERY “good” GM gets something for every potential departing UFA.  Sometimes teams do lose guys for, yes, nothing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I also think Fitz would rather have as much McLeod as possible, as opposed to not enough.

Basically, keep him through the end of next season, and should he wind up walking at that point for no return, so be it.  Contrary to a former poster’s belief, not like EVERY “good” GM gets something for every potential departing UFA.  Sometimes teams do lose guys for, yes, nothing.

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Yeah he is definitely TDL rental quality without a cost

My only thing with McLeod is that we can't really pay him more than 3.5/4m a year and that's a little high. If he wants more than that, establish that and then move him out once you get an idea of his wants. 

He's on a career year pace and that's the advantage a player like him has when he's a bottom six guy and they usually aren't locked up long term or have any trade protections. 

However if he's okay with 2.5-3m a year, I try to get him locked down for more than another year. I think 3-4 years at 2.0-2.8 we could swing. That way he's getting a raise and recognized for the increased role on the team. I would argue he jumps at it to get a little security, but on the other hand can't blame a guy for maximizing his value and trying to go out and get that 4m a year somewhere. It's a little much again when you have Haula as penciled in 3C, but I think we've been starting to see Haula getting phased out of being a center if Ruff is still here when the negotiations go down. Especially when we start getting hit with injuries, Ruff seems to like Haula as wing and move McLeod to 3C. McLeod has looked fine as a 3C and was playing higher earlier on in this season. Even with a contract like I'm suggesting you can still pencil him in a 4C with Haula still here. Just makes you a deeper team and the price tag will reflect that. 

I don't think that a contract like that for McLeod would hurt Mercer or Holtz's price tag either, but I'll let Fitz work there. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1