Fire Lindy

Colorado Rockies 1976

7 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I usually don't go for the fire the coach route because it rarely bounces seasons back but at this point the Devils are in a pretty precarious and future impacting position. They are good enough to end up having to pick middle of the first round which means finishing out the season at the current pace will end them a mid grade pick even in the best case scenario. I am sick of draft watching by February! The other part of that is the young talent on this team will not get the benefit of winning culture if this bland hockey is allowed to continue without repercussions. They had a taste of playoff victory and their energy after beating the Rangers spoke well for their future.

Fitz has done mostly well with his choices but now he is approaching feeble GM territory sticking with this goalie tandem and ineffective coaching. How many times can they fall behind in a game right away or a complete lack of resilience when a game is getting out of hand. The coaching (RUFF) is not making the cut and a once promising season is already on its third swirl around the toilet drain. I know injuries have been serious but they are fielding a team full of NHL players who should at least adopt a system that gives them the best chance to win, not tread water hoping Jack is back soon.

I am on team fire Ruff, don't let Jack returning hide this veneer thin team again.

Worked for Edmonton this season... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Say what you want about Lou and his post-2012 career, he showed again yesterday he still isn't going to tolerate underperforming and is still willing to think outside the box for a head coach hire.  I wonder when that accountability shows up for anyone not named Holtz here.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Say what you want about Lou and his post-2012 career, he showed again yesterday he still isn't going to tolerate underperforming and is still willing to think outside the box for a head coach hire.  I wonder when that accountability shows up for anyone not named Holtz here.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Maybe Roy works out and maybe he doesn't, but Lou, for better or worse, is never afraid to change it up if he thinks it isn’t working. Fitz seems to borrow from the Shero MO of sticking with an ineffective coach, because being right is more important than winning or player development. I’m fvcking fed up with that. There’s being patient, and then there’s stupidity. Keeping Ruff around is stupidity. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Have to respect his big brass cojones.

I wish Fitz had the same conviction with coaches.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Torts was hired in July 2022, yea you're right. If only Fitz fired Lindy after the 2021-22 season. Lol.

Re: Brunette. I think he had A LOT to do with last year's success. His absence this season has been glaring. 

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

It was Brunette and Jack having a near 100 point season. It’s pretty clear Lindy had very little to do with it. 

I’m becoming pretty frustrated with Fitz at this point. This has Shero 2.0 written all over it. Waiting too long to get rid of a coach who clearly needs to go is going to end up costing Fitz his job, just like it did his predecessor. 

Brunette's power play prowess, if you can even call it that, was atrocious; BUT it is evident his abscence is clearly dictating something in that lockerroom, maybe attitude management? either way, ruff is a spineless coward when it comes to anyone over the age of 25 or is related to Jack.

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I really hope not, re:  Fitz.  But I definitely have had enough of the radio silence bit.  

I'm wearing very thin on Fitz's Shero/Hynes esq loyalty. It is wasting a year of our opening window. Its the NHL, you never know how long the window will remain open, regardless of our youth being mostly locked up, the fact he is on the surface punting this season with the excuses is approaching fireable territory in my eyes.

It might not be fair, but this team should not be struggling this hard with the roster he has built, his inaction is unacceptable.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Maybe Roy works out and maybe he doesn't, but Lou, for better or worse, is never afraid to change it up if he thinks it isn’t working. Fitz seems to borrow from the Shero MO of sticking with an ineffective coach, because being right is more important than winning or player development. I’m fvcking fed up with that. There’s being patient, and then there’s stupidity. Keeping Ruff around is stupidity. 

Lou drove me insane when he made random firings when good seasons were approaching the end, sometimes they worked exceptional, some times they blew up (him taking the coaching role, the 3 heard monster, etc) but he tried things. Fitz is scared to upset Jack.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Worked for Edmonton this season... 

I think Edmonton is a good example of why a coaching change is probably in order.  Like Woodcroft, I doubt Lindy is ignorant of all the issues continually plaguing the team but it took a new voice to actually get it through to the players

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I think Edmonton is a good example of why a coaching change is probably in order.  Like Woodcroft, I doubt Lindy is ignorant of all the issues continually plaguing the team but it took a new voice to actually get it through to the players

He's not ignorant, he's arrogant. He thinks he's the smartest person in the Prudential Center. His comments to Novo were proof of it. 'you clearly don't watch the games'? fcuk off with sh!t like that. You don't have ANY cups, it was a fair question with zero attitude towards you, and you treated him like Torts who oh HAS A CUP and only did that to Larry Brooks.

Anyone with eyes sees he is not treating Holtz fairly, even his staunches supporters on Twitter/Reddit/etc are saying this isn't passing the sniff test.

He was gifted a hell of a roster, but just like in Buffalo in 06-07, he has ZERO IDEA how to manage his embarrassment of riches and is squandering a prime team.

He's like the drunk uncle who has ZERO idea how to use his grill, always making hamburgers into hockey pucks, and Fitz just handed the a$$hole a wagyu steak

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

Is there a possibility ownership isn't allowing Fitz to fire Ruff? Like how Jeff and Co kept Lou from making any money costing decisions even if it meant bettering the team?

Ownership needs to shut their fvcking holes, sign checks, and do whatever the fvck Fitz tells them is conducive to winning. If firing Ruff is Fitz’s recommendation to ownership (and it better be), hey Josh- sign the check and keep your mouth shut. You just bought the Washington Commanders. Lindy Ruff’s salary is coffee money. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

Is there a possibility ownership isn't allowing Fitz to fire Ruff? Like how Jeff and Co kept Lou from making any money costing decisions even if it meant bettering the team?

I don't think so, they spend to the cap to give him the tools, they gave out a ton in signing bonuses too, I can't imagine $3m or whatever it would cost to put the old man in the retirement home would be the stopping point.

Hell, they probably make that back if the team makes the playoffs

• Like 2

I doubt ownership cares about $4-5 million total maybe on a two-year deal for a head coach when they're spending up to the cap for a sh!tshow this year and own a billion other teams.  What they should care about is the growing fan angst at the Rock but they probably are out of touch on that too.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I don't think so, they spend to the cap to give him the tools, they gave out a ton in signing bonuses too, I can't imagine $3m or whatever it would cost to put the old man in the retirement home would be the stopping point.

Hell, they probably make that back if the team makes the playoffs

22 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I doubt ownership cares about $4-5 million total maybe on a two-year deal for a head coach when they're spending up to the cap for a sh!tshow this year and own a billion other teams.  What they should care about is the growing fan angst at the Rock but they probably are out of touch on that too.

Agreed on the above. I think it's Fitz-- he was very outspoken all summer about how "Lindy was the guy. The organization believes in him. Etc". It sucks, but I think this season is a write-off and I don't expect a coaching change now unless sh!t gets really bad. Like...really bad.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The unfortunate part is the way last year turned out after fans were calling for Lindy's scalp two horrible seasons in probably compels him to double down on the patience approach now.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Agreed on the above. I think it's Fitz-- he was very outspoken all summer about how "Lindy was the guy. The organization believes in him. Etc". It sucks, but I think this season is a write-off and I don't expect a coaching change now unless sh!t gets really bad. Like...really bad.

The possibility for that definitely exists with Vegas, Carolina and Tampa before the break...they could literally be 5-6 points out of a spot by the break.

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The unfortunate part is the way last year turned out after fans were calling for Lindy's scalp two horrible seasons in probably compels him to double down on the patience approach now.

Yep. And he’s gonna use the injuries as an excuse. There is no chance Ruff gets fired this season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The possibility for that definitely exists with Vegas, Carolina and Tampa before the break...they could literally be 5-6 points out of a spot by the break.

If Fitz is prompted to do, or not do, anything because of fans reactions then he isn't a good GM. I do not personally think that is factoring in. I think they believe in him, are giving him the leash because of the injuries, or have no idea about a replacement despite 2 or 3 candidates available within the organization.

This is also the second year running where our home record is abysmal. This, despite having great crowds coming out night after night.

Also the second year running of poor starts.

Also the second year running of being terrible on the back to backs.

At what point does the coaching not get a free pass on these things that have been happening for so long? Does anyone think the above happens with Torts behind the bench??

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, devlman said:

This is also the second year running where our home record is abysmal. This, despite having great crowds coming out night after night.

At what point does the coaching not get a free pass on these things that have been happening for so long? Does anyone think the above happens with Torts behind the bench??

It appears Fitz is not applying any nuance to this; either that, or he’s aware of the nuances and is conveniently ignoring them. He’s thinking “112 points, playoff series win, injuries” and uses that as his reasoning to continue to keep Ruff. What he doesn’t realize is last year is over and doesn’t mean sh!t.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It appears Fitz is not applying any nuance to this; either that, or he’s aware of the nuances and is conveniently ignoring them. He’s thinking “112 points, playoff series win, injuries” and uses that as his reasoning to continue to keep Ruff. What he doesn’t realize is last year is over and doesn’t mean sh!t.

Fitz is culpable for being so quiet and inactive but for the sh!tty depth on this roster-forcing the likes of Teirney, Wilman onto the coaching staff, as well as forcing Luke and Nemec into major minutes each night, which isn’t really optimal for their development and our playoff hopes.

Edited by devlman

10 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

The best thing that could happen to this team is for Vegas to embarrass them tomorrow night and to lose to both Tampa and the Canes. Time to peel off that bandaid nice and quick!

I hate to say I agree, but…..

13 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Berube will definitely get hired by a GM who's not asleep at the wheel. That would exclude Fitz. 

Just imagine if he went out and hired Torts. This team would be nasty and in first place. But instead, he stuck with Coach Milktoast because Jack and Brunette saved his ass last season. 

Ha ha-Nasty and in first place...you gotta have the players for that-Torts has them-Lindy doesn't.  In case you haven't noticed the Devs are one of the smallest, least physical teams.  All the good teams have speed, skill, size, physicality and good goaltendiing.  We need more of the last 3. Last year they over achieved + few injuries.  Also you have a 19yr old and a 20yr old playing full time D.  They got schooled last night by a very good team. Hopefully they learn from that.  They weren't going to win the cup this year-Fitz needs to decide who to keep and who goes.  If you're going to change the coach do it after the season so the new coach has time to get everyone on the same page.  Making the playoffs this year should not be the priority-they are too far away from being cup contenders.  If they make it -great, if it looks like they won't-sell and add assets for the future.

52 minutes ago, devlman said:

Last year the Devils had the 10th-best record at home.  That’s not really abysmal.

Here’s how the Devils fared in each of their back-to-backs last season:

1-1-0

2-0-0

0-1-1

1-1-0

2-0-0

1-1-0

2-0-0

2-0-0

1-1-0

1-1-0

1-1-0

Total record:  14-7-1

I’ve been as critical as anyone of Lindy, but it’s not fair to make a case against him and the Devils based on statements that aren’t accurate.

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Last year the Devils had the 10th-best record at home.  That’s not really abysmal.

Here’s how the Devils fared in each of their back-to-backs last season:

1-1-0

2-0-0

0-1-1

1-1-0

2-0-0

1-1-0

2-0-0

2-0-0

1-1-0

1-1-0

1-1-0

Total record:  14-7-1

I’ve been as critical as anyone of Lindy, but it’s not fair to make a case against him and the Devils based on statements that aren’t accurate.

Home record got better second half of season and was buoyed by the win streak. I’ll give you the back to back.

Edited by devlman