Fire Lindy

Colorado Rockies 1976

9 minutes ago, Have Another Donut said:

Ha ha-Nasty and in first place...you gotta have the players for that-Torts has them-Lindy doesn't

Being “nasty” only takes you so far in 2024 (especially in the regular season). That Philly team wasn’t predicted to do sh!t this season. They have massively overachieved.

The Devils OTOH were viewed as Cup contenders after finishing 3rd in the league last season. They’re an infinitely more skilled team than the Flyers (even with the injuries) and where the two teams currently are in the standings can almost be entirely attributed to the coaches. Lindy without Brunette and Jack is being exposed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Also the second year running of poor starts.

Idk how this has managed to persist for so long and he continues to not face any real direct criticism over it. How hard is it to get your team to play a 60min effort or look prepared for a game that it seems so impossible to have happen? That, and now they are back up to giving up the first goal over 70% of the time. That is fvcking embarrassing goaltending issues or not. A couple years ago when NJD rolled out 7 goalies that season I don't remember that being as big an issue as it is now. Is it really all on the goalies?

Paulie Walnuts Mafia GIF by HBO

• Like 1

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Idk how this has managed to persist for so long and he continues to not face any real direct criticism over it. How hard is it to get your team to play a 60min effort or look prepared for a game that it seems so impossible to have happen? That, and now they are back up to giving up the first goal over 70% of the time. That is fvcking embarrassing goaltending issues or not. A couple years ago when NJD rolled out 7 goalies that season I don't remember that being as big an issue as it is now. Is it really all on the goalies?

100%. As @MadDog2020 has pointed out, we have no media to challenge this record. Novo asks an innocent question and Lindy wants to take his head off. It truly is embarrassing and as pure an indictment on coaching as you’ll ever see.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Nope. Not by a longshot. I've been saying it all season long.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, devlman said:

Home record got better second half of season and was buoyed by the win streak. What was their record in the second half of the back to back?

Record in the second half of back-to-backs was 8-3 last season.

They had a bad mid-season slump at home last year, but otherwise played well.  Even with that funk, they still played to a 104-point pace at home last year:

First 14 home games:  10–3-1

Next 8 home games:  0-7-1

Final 19 home games:  14-3-2

Like I said, plenty to get on Lindy about and I wanted him fired yesterday (not as in actual “yesterday”, but definitely earlier this season), but not fair to get on him or the team based on things that aren’t true.

THIS season’s Devils, yes…bad at home and bad in the second half of back-to-backs.  2022-23 Devils, not the case.

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Record in the second half of back-to-backs was 8-3 last season.

They had a bad mid-season slump at home last year, but otherwise played well.  Even with that funk, they still played to a 104-point pace at home last year:

First 14 home games:  10–3-1

Next 8 home games:  0-7-1

Final 19 home games:  14-3-2

Like I said, plenty to get on Lindy about and I wanted him fired yesterday (not as in actual “yesterday”, but definitely earlier this season), but not fair to get on him or the team based on things that aren’t true.

THIS season’s Devils, yes…bad at home and bad in the second half of back-to-backs.  2022-23 Devils, not the case.

It seemed a lot worse than that. Could be the constant falling behind and flat first periods. 

1 minute ago, devlman said:

It seemed a lot worse than that. Could be the constant falling behind and flat first periods. 

Even with some of that, last season’s Devils put up 112 points and a healthy goal differential (+67) for a reason.  There were plenty of pretty wins last season.

This year…seriously, I’d say there’s a been a handful of those types of wins, at best.  So many of this season’s victories have felt like such a fvcking grind.  Even the 4-1 wins over Florida and Columbus felt rather perilous in the third period of each game.  Outside of a 5-2 win over the Penguins, I’m hard-pressed to think of too many games where the Devils have looked good this season from start-to-finish.  

• Like 1

I saw elsewhere that the Devils have scored first at home in just 3 of 22 games...holy hell.

One of them had to be the Buffalo romp, literally our only home win this season that wasn't by one goal or one goal plus a late empty-netter.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I saw elsewhere that the Devils have scored first at home in just 3 of 22 games...holy hell.

One of them had to be the Buffalo romp, literally our only home win this season that wasn't by one goal or one goal plus a late empty-netter.

I just saw that on HF too, I knew it wasn't a lot but I didn't realize it was that low. Insane really. 

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah without question the Devils are abysmal in their own building this season.  That can’t be disputed…last night’s loss really put an exclamation point on that sad fact.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That is absolutely insane. You really have to come out consistently poor to come close to that type of statistic.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, devlman said:

That is absolutely insane. You really have to come out consistently poor to come close to that type of statistic.

And THIS is one of my main beefs with Lindy.  Why is his team damned near ALWAYS the one that looks under-prepared to start these games (and even healthy this year we’ve seen that happen)?  Why are guys constantly left open in extremely dangerous areas?  Why is none of this being addressed, outside of Lindy deciding to hold exactly one of his players accountable should said player dare to make the same kinds of mistakes that many of his teammates do?

Both Lindy AND Fitz need to start answering for all of this, if only anyone would bother to ask the questions (outside of Novo).  Amanda is far more likely to ask about a player’s favorite offseason fishing hole than she is anything remotely substantial.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And THIS is one of my main beefs with Lindy.  Why does his team damned near ALWAYS the one that looks under-prepared to start these games (and even healthy this year we’ve seen that happen)?  Why are guys constantly left open in extremely dangerous areas?  Why is none of this being addressed, outside of Lindy deciding to hold exactly one of his players accountable should said player dare to make the same kinds of mistakes that many of his teammates do?

Both Lindy AND Fitz need to start answering for all of this, if only anyone would bother to ask the questions (outside of Novo).  Amanda is far more likely to ask about a player’s favorite offseason fishing hole than she is anything remotely substantial.

I have yet to hear an answer to the poor starts. It’s not a rough patch or one of those things. This is a constant. 

1 hour ago, devlman said:

100%. As @MadDog2020 has pointed out, we have no media to challenge this record. Novo asks an innocent question and Lindy wants to take his head off. It truly is embarrassing and as pure an indictment on coaching as you’ll ever see.

Novo is about as good and not inflammatory a beat reporter is you're going to get, and Lindy still gives him the attitude. It's a joke.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Being “nasty” only takes you so far in 2024 (especially in the regular season). That Philly team wasn’t predicted to do sh!t this season. They have massively overachieved.

The Devils OTOH were viewed as Cup contenders after finishing 3rd in the league last season. They’re an infinitely more skilled team than the Flyers (even with the injuries) and where the two teams currently are in the standings can almost be entirely attributed to the coaches. Lindy without Brunette and Jack is being exposed. 

Just because you have  more skill (the old rangers theory...) doesn't necessarily make you a better team. The flyers can't play a run and gun style-they don't have the players for that.  They play an aggressive, in your face, physical style, defense first, counter attack, and have good goal tending-works for what they have.  Last year the Devils overachieved and they raised expectation too high for what they actually are:  A young exciting team, still building, learning,  and not quite there yet.  A lot of young players in key positions (D/G) with some growing pains now.  

Realistically this team is a year or two away from being a serious cup contender no matter who the coach is and only if their D and G improve.

13 minutes ago, Have Another Donut said:

Just because you have  more skill (the old rangers theory...) doesn't necessarily make you a better team

Key word is old. The Rags would usually bring in big names that had been around for a while. They never had the young homegrown talent that this current Devils core does. These guys have played a lot of games with each other. They weren’t just thrown together like those Rags teams were.

I don’t disagree that their true window to be legit contenders is probably in a year or two though. Once Luke and Nemec aren’t rookies, and Jack is actually entering his prime. But they shouldn’t be a bubble team right now either. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I just saw that on HF too, I knew it wasn't a lot but I didn't realize it was that low. Insane really. 

This what you saw? Just saw this on Reddit:

hiik6tdgwgdc1.webp.9199fbe1d74c7b22b5cdfd1e561fb61a.webp

On 1/21/2024 at 10:46 AM, Max20Characters said:

Is there a possibility ownership isn't allowing Fitz to fire Ruff? Like how Jeff and Co kept Lou from making any money costing decisions even if it meant bettering the team?

I think there's a strong possibility that Fitz isn't able to fire Lindy without it severely limited his freedom... because he just signed Lindy in October to a multi-year extension.   Meanwhile, half a season later you want to boot him out the door?  It's a lot easier to say that injuries are the reason why this team isn't moving forward... 

You can say Lindy isn't the coach for an injured team... and that you hired him to lead the roster you put together which is Jack Hughes and Dougie at the point.