Jump to content

1/25/2024 GDT: Devils @ Canes, 7:30 pm, MSGSN


Colorado Rockies 1976

Recommended Posts

Surreal times.  Even if we knew this day could ultimately come, obviously once it actually becomes real, it just…hits hard.

Not sure what to expect for this game.  Just hope that the players can find a way to get past this, and that this organization that I’ve spent so much of my life rooting for didn’t look the other way because McLeod had something to offer on the ice.

Let’s go Devils.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Surreal times.  Even if we knew this day could ultimately come, obviously once it actually becomes real, it just…hits hard.

Not sure what to expect for this game.  Just hope that the players can find a way to get past this, and that this organization that I’ve spent so much of my life rooting for didn’t look the other way because McLeod had something to offer on the ice.

Let’s go Devils.

Michael McLeod is not the NJ Devils.  I would be more worried if this was Jack or Luke Hughes in his place.  No one member of the team is bigger than the sum of its parts.  

Keep it moving, and win - that's what the Devils need to focus on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't had a lot of free time lately and I'll be sharing some thoughts in the other thread, but the few posts in this thread so far have summed it up perfectly. Logo on the front, not the name on the back. 

Get two points and move forward.

Let's Go Devils.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Michael McLeod is not the NJ Devils.  I would be more worried if this was Jack or Luke Hughes in his place.  No one member of the team is bigger than the sum of its parts.  

Keep it moving, and win - that's what the Devils need to focus on.

I agree, but at the same time, he's been here a while, had established himself more and more as a useful player and a part of the core.  His teammates are human beings...hard not to imagine that they're not affected by this on several levels.  Yes, they can't let it derail their season, that goes without saying.

A big test for Lindy and Fitz, in some ways...it's one thing to question them on strategy and personnel moves, but we'll now see how they navigate their team through these suddenly dark waters.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rob_Ottawa said:

So who the hell plays centre now?

Great question. Going back to the hockey talk, this leaves a massive void at center, particularly with faceoffs. We could really see our puck possession and zone time numbers plummet if we aren't winning face-offs and having the ability to control the puck in key situations, like on the Power Play or Penalty Kill. 

I don't know if anyone on our coaching staff is directly responsible for McLeod being so good at face-offs, or if he just had that innate ability, but someone better be focusing on this in practice to help other guys get better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

So who the hell plays centre now?

When we're healthy I would imagine its: 

Hughes

Hischier

Haula

Lazar

Still not bad but as mentioned, we will miss McLeod's pretty much automatic face off wins

Edited by Lateralous
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

 

When we're healthy I would imagine its: 

Hughes

Hischier

Haula

Lazar

Still not bad but as mentioned, we will miss McLeod's pretty much automatic face off wins

McLeod was pretty much the Gretzky of faceoff circles...especially the past couple of seasons (62.4%).  That's not something that can be replaced...Devils will simply have to learn to make do without that luxury.

FWIW, the rest of the team is 50.5% combined.  So at least the Devils aren't plummeting to well-below average without him.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

We’re getting a Canes team on the back end of a back to back.   Hopefully they pull a “Devils in second game of B2B” tonight.  

Yeah for all of the chirping about B2B games (and yeah the Devils have too many of them this season), other teams have been put in tough situations too.  Carolina having to head home from Boston for a game tonight in their building.  Not exactly ideal.  Washington had to leave Minnesota two nights ago for a game last night in Colorado.  The NHL should really shorten its schedule, but we know that ain't ever happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

 

The top 9 would still somehow actually look pretty solid if you just swapped Holtz and Bastian. 

Agreed and in the past he hasn't been afraid of shortening the bench to three lines.  if there was ever a time to do it, it seems like now while we limp into the break and hopefully get a few more bodies back.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, capo said:

It's clear Ruff does not like Holtz and if Fitz is truly in Ruff's corner, Holtz will be gone by the deadline.

Lindy didn’t like Bratt early on either and now he loves him and gave him an A. Who knows. 

I would be pretty bummed to see Holtz get traded without ever getting a chance to play with Jack or Nico. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is clearly a doghouse situation with Lindy.

No one knows what happens behind closed doors that got it to this point.

It is moronic to trot him out there on the 4th lines, especially with those players.

Bastian and Holtz should most certainly flip spots at the least.

Fitzy needs to get creative quick to fill in these holes, especially Mcleod's spot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

There is clearly a doghouse situation with Lindy.

No one knows what happens behind closed doors that got it to this point.

It is moronic to trot him out there on the 4th lines, especially with those players.

Bastian and Holtz should most certainly flip spots at the least.

Fitzy needs to get creative quick to fill in these holes, especially Mcleod's spot.

I'd definitely like to see a move made too (and Holtz not to be stuck on the 4th line), but at the same time, if Jack and Nosek aren't that far away, than that does away with Willman/Dowling and Tierney.  Also means that the intended forward lineup (minus McLeod of course) will finally be back.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.