GDT: Not Atlanta Flames @ NJD - 8 Feb @ 7p -Jack's Back!

jagknife

28 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Having Luke and Nemec probably makes Casey more expendable than Holtz, imo. 

That’s how I see it also. 

In addition, and this admittedly is irrelevant, but having never seen Casey in a Devils uni I think losing AH would sting me more. 

Plus Disney World. 

Edited by smelly
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nessus said:

I didn't totally hate this one. Not ideal of course, but they really battled hard for most of the third. And they came pretty close to tying a game that seemed to be lost by the second period when they were looking pretty outmatched. 

Good things from the Hischier line of course. I'm hoping Lindy gives Holtz more time with Hughes. Marino has been looking better too.

Other than the goaltending, what really has been bothering me is Meier. He just looks so...okay. He does not look like the team's highest paid forward. I don't think this is his fault. It's pretty clear to me that he is dealing with an injury. Why not just let the guy get healthy? It's better in the long term, and honestly, I can't imagine the team will be that much worse off without this year's version of Meier.

For reference, Meier has the same amount of points as Palat, a player who many of us have felt has been dreadfully bad this season. He has less than HALF the points of Jack, in more games played. He has 3 more points than Dougie, who of course has missed most of the season. This is not the same player as last year's Meier. Something is up, and it just makes no sense to keep things going as they are.

I’ve posted this before FWIW, but apparently Timo’s MCL that he hurt earlier this year won’t be repaired before September. 

1 minute ago, smelly said:

I’ve posted this before FWIW, but apparently Timo’s MCL that he hurt earlier this year won’t be repaired before September. 

That seems like very odd timing, but I won't question your intel. Still doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but management must have their reasons.

7 minutes ago, nessus said:

That seems like very odd timing, but I won't question your intel. Still doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but management must have their reasons.

I wasn’t clear. What I have been told is that he likely needs surgery and that won’t happen until the offseason so he won’t  be fully healthy for the rest of this campaign. 

Only referenced Sept since that’s when they will reconvene for camp. 

Edited by smelly

19 minutes ago, smelly said:

That’s how I see it also. 

In addition, and this admittedly is irrelevant, but having never seen Casey in a Devils uni I think losing AH would sting me more. 

Plus Disney World. 

What is the Disney World part in reference to?

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

What is the Disney World part in reference to?

Just a stupid, gratuitous reference to AH’s and Mercer’s recent Uber trip to Orlando over the bye week. 

Edited by smelly

Didn’t see this one.

Result feels about right…the Devils just haven’t been consistent for so much of the year.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That combo isn't any better.  We buried Schmid in the minors because he had a shaky start to the season.  Everyone wants VV down there with him or for him. When Daws has a bad game or two, people want to throw him there too. Goalies can do nothing right here. Not saying any of them have been great, but we've literally tried three of them and the result is the same.  At what point does it become clear there are other issues at play?  The coaching staff doesn't have this team playing well at all.  We take too many penalties, many of them in our own zone.  We leave guys uncovered on defense far too often.  We give up odd man rushes like they're on sale.  The goalies are inconsistent.  The Powerplay has gone completely dry.  And the offense as a whole is under-performing.  

Even at the time Schmid got sent down, I felt like it was due to circumstance and not because he played worse than Vitek.   Also, he got a little bit of the Holtz treatment in the way Lindy used him.  Don’t get me wrong, he was disappointing this year and hasn’t done much in his AHL stint to make Fitz reconsider but even when he was underperforming in the first half of the season, he was always the better goalie of the two IMO.   

I agree that the coaching has been subpar and is a major issue going forward but the goaltending is just as big of a problem.  I know you say we have had three goalies with the same bad results, but it’s VV and two rookies that in an ideal world werent yet in the NHL, especially the one who just had hip surgery and can’t seem to go post to post.  Just adding a Jake Allen type could do wonders for this team.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smelly said:

If it came down to it, would you rather build a deal for a clear No. 1 goalie around Holtz or Casey?

I don’t want to lose either, but I unfortunately fear that’s not realistic if they make a move. And they have to, whether now or over the summer. 

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Having Luke and Nemec probably makes Casey more expendable than Holtz, imo. 

I agree that it’s Casey.  The coach aside, Holtz should fill Toffoli’s spot starting next year, or the trade deadline at this rate

Also, as good as he looks, Casey is still just a prospect.  I’m always weary of D prospects in particular until they prove they can play in the NHL. For all we know, he could be the next Ty Smith

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I agree that it’s Casey.  The coach aside, Holtz should fill Toffoli’s spot starting next year, or the trade deadline at this rate

Also, as good as he looks, Casey is still just a prospect.  I’m always weary of D prospects in particular until they prove they can play in the NHL. For all we know, he could be the next Ty Smith

Hell, even Hataaka looks like he belongs. Certainly looks better than freaking bAHL.

Casey can be expendable for the right piece, in this armchair GM’s opinion.

Even an average goalie has this team in a playoff spot with the complete lack of back breaking, deflating and demoralizing soft goals against.

A coach who also will adjust his gameplan would benefit this team greatly.

one is significantly easier to solve right now than the other, but Fitz is comfortable being mediocre and standing pat.

i hate it

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Hell, even Hataaka looks like he belongs. Certainly looks better than freaking bAHL.

Even an average goalie has this team in a playoff spot with the complete lack of back breaking, deflating and demoralizing soft goals against.

one is significantly easier to solve right now than the other, but Fitz is comfortable being mediocre and standing pat.

i hate it

Casey, 2025 top 10 protected 1, 2024 2, Grahame Clarke for Markstrom and Tanev. Do it Fitz. Because I can’t watch this sh!t anymore.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Casey, 2025 top 10 protected 1, 2024 2, Grahame Clarke for Markstrom and Tanev. Do it Fitz. Because I can’t watch this sh!t anymore.

That’s a lot to give up for a 30-something goalie and an average Dman.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah, last night was kind of a breaking point for me.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

i hate it

Maybe it is just the way you worded it, and God knows I hate it too, but I have to believe that Fitz and team that get paid a lot more than I do have done their jobs and have weighed all the options. No one wants to suck, but Fitz has shown us he doesn't get made a fool in trade talks and, like I said, I gotta believe if a move made sense he would have done it. Other GMs are probably trying to bend him over and he's not going for it.

It's time to face up to the liklihood, as much as we all hate it, that we're ride or die with what we got this year. Not saying things can't change but it's hard to perform miracles...especially on decent goalies.

• Like 2

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

MD2020 about to put an ice pick in someone's skull if he doesn't see us on the trade wire soon. Ffs Fitz, think of the children!

I’m telling you, I’ve reached the end of my rope. Fitz’s inaction is beyond unacceptable at this point. 

• Thanks 1