GDT - 2/20/24 Devils @ Caps 7:00pm MSGSN2

NJDfan1711

Another big game.  We need this one, in regulation, to distance ourselves from the Caps.  Great win against the Flyers this past weekend, but we can't let off the gas.  Rather, we need to rally and build some serious momentum. As it stands right now, we're still on the outside looking in. 

Caps are 2-6-2 in their last 10, not exactly playing well, although Ovechkin is heating up. 

Having the past two days off, I say ride Daws again. Dude has earned it and gives us the best chance to win in net. Maybe give Schmid, or VV if he's healthy, an "easier" game Saturday against the Habs. 

At any rate, Let's Go Devils. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Another big game.  We need this one, in regulation, to distance ourselves from the Caps.  Great win against the Flyers this past weekend, but we can't let off the gas.  Rather, we need to rally and build some serious momentum. As it stands right now, we're still on the outside looking in. 

Caps are 2-6-2 in their last 10, not exactly playing well, although Ovechkin is heating up. 

Having the past two days off, I say ride Daws again. Dude has earned it and gives us the best chance to win in net. Maybe give Schmid, or VV if he's healthy, an "easier" game Saturday against the Habs. 

Yeah, I think I’d go with Daws for Tuesday’s, Thursday’s, and Sunday’s games, with Schmid getting the start Saturday against Montreal.  LGD!

• Like 2

This is simply one of those “OK, if you’re serious about making a run, then just fvcking win this one!” kind of games.  No excuses.

L G M F D!!!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agree with the bolded at this point.  Originally I was leaning towards Schmid, but the Devils need these two points, and I don't want the game against the Rangers to become even more of a "must win". 

Devils "playoffs" have already started.  There are certain luxuries they can't afford right now; that means going with their best, and right now, that's Daws in net.  Give Schmid or VV the game against the Canadiens.  Daws gets tonight, the Rangers, and the Lightning, as long as he feels physically able.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

This week is going to be huge for us fellas! No help From Detroit with them winning yesterday but that’s alright. Let’s hope they are still riding some excitement after this weekend and play strong. 

Tampa lost, so got some help there.  Detroit, Philly, and Tampa all remain within striking distance, but the Devils have to win five out of the next six.

After tonight, next up are the Rangers, Canadiens, Lightning, Sharks, and Ducks.  Find a way boys.  At some point, like others have noted, you need to put together a serious run to shove your way into the playoff race.  Otherwise it will be more pressing your nose against the WC window and continually asking for other teams to help you out.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is simply one of those “OK, if you’re serious about making a run, then just fvcking win this one!” kind of games.  No excuses.

L G M F D!!!

aka, the exact type of game we've lost all season long, most recently against Calgary.  Hopefully they finally show us they are serious.   

LGD!  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

aka, the exact type of game we've lost all season long, most recently against Calgary.  Hopefully they finally show us they are serious.   

LGD!  

Basically, when I say win 5 out of 6, I mean beat the Caps, Canadiens, Sharks, and Ducks (the Devils have managed to go 2-5 against these teams so far...that's pathetic...time to make up for that!).  Find a way to get two points total against the Rangers and Lightning, be it a couple of OT/SO losses or simply splitting those games.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, njbuff said:

They haven’t won more than 3 in row all year.

At some point this team needs to make a run.

Forget the WC, try to streak past the Flyers for 3rd.

The Devils are actually in the hunt for this (along with both WC spots), but only if they keep winning.  They can't stumble anytime soon.   

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Siegs is back: 

Hell of a chance for both Daws AND Schmid to claim spots here.  I still think VV can eventually regain his mostly league-average form from the prior three seasons, but depending on how those two perform, he may have to wait to get his chance, whenever he's due to return.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Smith to forward would be my hope

Yeah, I hate him on D, and he's always a dumb penalty or two away from making me really hate him, but as a 4th-liner, he's not that bad.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Smith to forward and Nosek out?

Being perfectly honest, I'm not all that excited about Siegs being back. Dude has been pretty bad for the majority of this season and the D as a whole hasn't been awful lately.  I'm not really sure who he's better than. He's not better than Marino, we know that. For all the chances Luke and Nemec take with their offensive abilities, he's still not better than either of them. And I don't even think he's better than Bahl or Miller.  Hell, Hattaka looked good for the limited time we saw him. 

I get that Siegs probably has to play because of his contract, his veterans l status, among other things, but if he makes a few mistakes in the first couple games that he comes back, I think you have to consider healthy scratching him if nothing else then for the sake of chemistry and continuity. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

but if he makes a few mistakes in the first couple games that he comes back, I think you have to consider healthy scratching him if nothing else then for the sake of chemistry and continuity. 

You and I both know that ain’t ever happening, so I’d ditch that idea from your head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1