Jump to content

GDT - 2/20/24 Devils @ Caps 7:00pm MSGSN2


NJDfan1711

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Yes, this team is infuriatingly inconsistent. There's still time to get hot and become a team no top seed wants to face in the playoffs. I'd rather we be buyers, even with a coach who seems lost a lot of the time.

Eh I think Boston and Florida would be just fine facing us.  The Rangers would only fear us cause of the rivalry but there's no way this version of both teams repeats what happened last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Toffoli does lead the team in goals, with 24…which means he’ll have trade value at least.  What we’ve found out about him is that he’s one of those guys who doesn’t really do much else at this point in his career.  But maybe other GMs who don’t see him play every game see the goal total and take a shot at him.

That’s what I’m hoping.  Toffoli can definitely play, but I’m not convinced he fits in an offense that should cater to the strengths of Jack, Nico, Jesper, and Timo (or whoever that is wearing Timo’s uniform), especially if his presence forces at least one forward out of position.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

This might be the nail in the coffin of the 2023-24 NJD.

I was thinking the exact same thing. These types of games matter. The Devils should have gone into this game with the mindset that this is just as important of a game as any this season. They need to tighten up, and they cannot sacrifice points against struggling teams, like the Caps. Then they go and get blown out like this. It's over. This team just doesn't have it.

There really isn't anything going right at the moment. The defense is a complete mess. Personnel choices, the consistent blown coverage by multiple players, and the overall system - nothing is working. The offense hasn't been producing. Lindy has a top 10 player in the league, and he is wasting him by playing him out of position with two guys who are not making anything happen with him. No adjustment. And after all this, the goaltending is the least of the issues. Let's see a coaching change. There are plenty of options out there. Markstrom is not the answer to all of these issues.

Meier had an okay game I thought. Certainly not one of his worst. But this guy needs to figure it out soon. He simply has not had a significant stretch of good games since he was traded here. And that was almost a year ago now. This has been one of the most frustrating parts of the season for me. Highest paid forward on the team, who is being outscored by Alex Holtz. And I love Holtz, but he  gets single digit minutes more often than not, and plays with garbage linemates. The Devils should not be paying $8.8MM for someone who is doing less than Erik Haula this year. It has to be a nagging injury.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nico makes an interesting comment about the guys being “in their own heads” for much of the evening.  I can certainly understand why a struggling player like Timo would be, but what’s the problem with the rest of the group?  After Saturday’s big win, one would think most of the team would be in a good place mentally.  Why would facing the Washington Capitals upset that equilibrium?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Nico makes an interesting comment about the guys being “in their own heads” for much of the evening.  I can certainly understand why a struggling player like Timo would be, but what’s the problem with the rest of the group?  After Saturday’s big win, one would think most of the team would be in a good place mentally.  Why would facing the Washington Capitals upset that equilibrium?

He meant they're too busy imagining themselves posting hot Instagram pics on some beach by the end of April. /s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He meant they're too busy imagining themselves posting hot Instagram pics on some beach by the end of April. /s

Maybe you shouldn’t have used the sarcasm tag, as that guy who was on the team earlier in the season just took a beach vacation with his girlfriend.  Perhaps the rest of the group has similar ideas.

Edited by ButlerBulldog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And sorry Fitz, for once you need to come out of your bunker and answer for some of this sh!t.  Can’t always be about wanting to hear how awesome you are at cap management.  You backed the wrong horse.

Yup -- VV and AS.  Biggest miscalculation bar none.

Even league average goaltending all year and this roster and coaching staff is worrying only about seeding.  

Edited by smelly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, smelly said:

Yup -- VV and AS.  Biggest miscalculation bar none.

Even league average goaltending all year and this roster and coaching staff is worrying only about seeding.  

Goaltending is definitely the reason this power play couldn’t score in a brothel for the last 2 months…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Goaltending is definitely the reason this power play couldn’t score in a brothel for the last 2 months…

I’d love to see Luke swap with Nemec for now. Nemec just seems ahead on the mental side of things and running a powerplay. Luke will run it for years to come in the not so distant future but right now he struggles with his decision making and even just getting shots through.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Goaltending is definitely the reason this power play couldn’t score in a brothel for the last 2 months…

He’s gonna force the “It’s all goaltending” narrative no matter what.  The only thing missing from his post is how he’s been saying it since May, because he makes sure to remind us of that quite often.  Of course as is his MO, not a peep in the Stadium Series GDT, because that game’s results didn’t make for good trolling.

But yeah, when someone just completely ignores the other issues that have also been major factors (coaching, play in their own end, Timo’s struggles, injuries, guys being played out of position, coming up small way too many times against bad teams, the complete disappearance of the power play, etc), and willingly discounts the fact that some of these problems are going to have an adverse affect on the goalies, I just can’t take him seriously.  He’s had an agenda all season long and the good news is that no one really takes the bait anymore.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, nessus said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. These types of games matter. The Devils should have gone into this game with the mindset that this is just as important of a game as any this season. They need to tighten up, and they cannot sacrifice points against struggling teams, like the Caps. Then they go and get blown out like this. It's over. This team just doesn't have it.

There really isn't anything going right at the moment. The defense is a complete mess. Personnel choices, the consistent blown coverage by multiple players, and the overall system - nothing is working. The offense hasn't been producing. Lindy has a top 10 player in the league, and he is wasting him by playing him out of position with two guys who are not making anything happen with him. No adjustment. And after all this, the goaltending is the least of the issues. Let's see a coaching change. There are plenty of options out there. Markstrom is not the answer to all of these issues.

Meier had an okay game I thought. Certainly not one of his worst. But this guy needs to figure it out soon. He simply has not had a significant stretch of good games since he was traded here. And that was almost a year ago now. This has been one of the most frustrating parts of the season for me. Highest paid forward on the team, who is being outscored by Alex Holtz. And I love Holtz, but he  gets single digit minutes more often than not, and plays with garbage linemates. The Devils should not be paying $8.8MM for someone who is doing less than Erik Haula this year. It has to be a nagging injury.

Timo's put up 19 G and 17 A in 63 regular season GP as a Devil.  Obviously not what the Devils signed up for and unless he truly has a nagging injury that's affecting his performance, they gotta figure out what the hell is wrong with this guy.  We've seen occasional flashes of what we BELIEVE Timo can be, but not nearly enough of them.  It's become a serious concern and patience can only last so long.

And yeah, said it before and many others have noticed it, but when a team like this loses as many games against meh teams as they have, it's hard to make a case as to why they deserve to go to the playoffs.  As of now they need to win at least the next five games.  Four points back with 27 games left on the schedule doesn't sound like the end of the world, but when you're showing no signs of consistently playing well, four points is a lot.  Right now there's simply way too much "Well at least this team lost!" or "If we can win all of our games in hand..."

And re:  the bolded, I agree, unless Markstrom's going to stand on his head, bring a legit system with him and be able to implement it immediately, figure out how to right Timo, speed up Dougie's return timetable, force Jack and Timo back to their actual positions, split atoms, cure cancer and foster world peace, I'm not giving up assets to bring him in at this point.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Eh I think Boston and Florida would be just fine facing us.  The Rangers would only fear us cause of the rivalry but there's no way this version of both teams repeats what happened last year.

Florida would eat this Devils team alive, easiest 4-0 sweep in NHL history in that matchup.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Timo's put up 19 G and 17 A in 63 regular season GP as a Devil.  Obviously not what the Devils signed up for and unless he truly has a nagging injury that's affecting his performance, they gotta figure out what the hell is wrong with this guy.  We've seen occasional flashes of what we BELIEVE Timo can be, but not nearly enough of them.  It's become a serious concern and patience can only last so long.

And yeah, said it before and many others have noticed it, but when a team like this loses as many games against meh teams as they have, it's hard to make a case as to why they deserve to go to the playoffs.  As of now they need to win at least the next five games.  Four points back with 27 games left on the schedule doesn't sound like the end of the world, but when you're showing no signs of consistently playing well, four points is a lot.  Right now there's simply way too much "Well at least this team lost!" or "If we can win all of our games in hand..."

And re:  the bolded, I agree, unless Markstrom's going to stand on his head, bring a legit system with him and be able to implement it immediately, figure out how to right Timo, speed up Dougie's return timetable, force Jack and Timo back to their actual positions, split atoms, cure cancer and foster world peace, I'm not giving up assets to bring him in at this point.

Another reason I wouldn’t mind seeing Toffoli dealt is that it might coincide with Timo being moved back to his natural position, which I think he deserves a chance to play.  I don’t know that his productivity will increase overnight, but given what he’s being paid and length of his deal, the Devils can’t afford to have him floundering in mediocrity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

These kinds of performances on top of a 9% increase for season tickets plus looking like playoffs aren't even remotely a sure thing is going to tank renewals and to be fair, they absolutely deserve it with the price increase they did. 

That's ridiculous,food and entertainment value tanked this year. Try better Devils.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Florida would eat this Devils team alive, easiest 4-0 sweep in NHL history in that matchup.

This team hasn't lost 4 straight all year and I'm sure people were saying that about president's trophy winning Tampa sweeping Columbus and then reverse happened. 

I'm not saying we would win the series but we wouldn't be swept. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Devils actually played pretty well the first 2 periods despite being down but that 3rd period was... woof.

Brendan Smith needs to be launched into the sun. He had the lowest even strength ice time among Devils' defensemen yet was on-ice for 4 of the Caps' goals and was dominated in pretty much all shot quantity/quality metrics. And what was Lindy thinking pairing him with Hughes? They were quickly broken up, but too little too late after that disastrous 1st goal.

Once Marino is good to go, the defense pairings should be pretty straightforward:

Siegs-Nemec

Hughes-Marino

Bahl-Miller

(Smith = scratched)

Bahl has played better of late, and he was very good with Miller last night, but I don't think it's a stretch to say the Devils' 3rd best LHD is sitting in Utica right now...

I didn't hate Lindy bumping up Holtz to play with Lazar and Meier but it's worth mentioning that line got completely dumped on afterward (outshot 2-10, outchanced 0-6, outscored 0-1). Curious to see if they're given another shot together against NYR. Mercer has been well off last year's point pace and has just 3G/3A in his last 19 games. 

Overall that was just a brutal loss. What a major letdown after Saturday's high. The out-of-town scoreboard isn't helping either with the Wings winning on Monday, Isles winning yesterday (and handing the Pens a loser point, no less) and the Flyers are gift-wrapped the Chicago Blackhawks tonight. Ugh. 

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 5
  • Vomiting 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Fully expecting them to get embarrassed by the Rangers. Kiss the playoffs goodbye

Given the Devils’ predilection for playing to the level of their opponent, I actually expect them to play well and make the game competitive.  Whether or not that results in a win, however, is anybody’s guess.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Given the Devils’ predilection for playing to the level of their opponent, I actually expect them to play well and make the game competitive.  Whether or not that results in a win, however, is anybody’s guess.

Doesn’t matter.

If the Devils beat the Rags, they will turn around and get their asses handed to them by Montreal.

That’s the 2023-24 season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Doesn’t matter.

If the Devils beat the Rags, they will turn around and get their asses handed to them by Montreal.

That’s the 2023-24 season.

The Devils need to go 5-0 in their next five.

Instead they'll find a way to go 3-2 or 2-2-1.  They'll probably manage to beat either Tampa or even the Rangers (yet another tease), but will turn in an absolute clunker (maybe even two) against the Canadiens, Sharks and Ducks.  You are right...this is exactly what .500ish teams do.  It's what makes them so frustrating...when you have a bad team that's expected to be bad, you know you're going to suffer your share of ugly losses.  When you're a talented team and that talent is clearly on display some nights, it makes it that much more infuriating when you lose to bad teams and/or follow up a nice win with an awful loss.  I feel like the identity of this team was cemented with the results over the last two games; that is EXACTLY who they are.  I can't expect that to magically change at this point, much as I can wish that it would.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we don’t beat the rags tomorrow then I’m afraid we are done for the season.  Unfortunately, our best player looks scared of late, our power play has been a disaster, our penalty kill not consistent, and many players just look lost. So my hopes are not the highest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.