Jump to content

GDT - 2/20/24 Devils @ Caps 7:00pm MSGSN2


NJDfan1711

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, devlman said:

If we don’t beat the rags tomorrow then I’m afraid we are done for the season.  Unfortunately, our best player looks scared of late, our power play has been a disaster, our penalty kill not consistent, and many players just look lost. So my hopes are not the highest.

The numbers behind the PP are just brutal - they're scoring 2.88 goals per hour on the PP since the calendar flipped to 2024. That's dead last in the NHL. For context, the next worst team (San Jose) is a full goal better and nearly half the league is scoring at higher rate than that at even strength on the season. That's wild. I thought getting Jack back would jumpstart things but they've been even worse since his return, somehow (2.73 GF/60). I will say, their PP looked better yesterday (more concerted effort to shoot the puck?) even if the results weren't there. We'll see what happens in the coming games but it's hard to win when your PP unit is doing as poorly as the Devils' is. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

The numbers behind the PP are just brutal - they're scoring 2.88 goals per hour on the PP since the calendar flipped to 2024. That's dead last in the NHL. For context, the next worst team (San Jose) is a full goal better and nearly half the league is scoring at higher rate than that at even strength on the season. That's wild. I thought getting Jack back would jumpstart things but they've been even worse since his return, somehow (2.73 GF/60). I will say, their PP looked better yesterday (more concerted effort to shoot the puck?) even if the results weren't there. We'll see what happens in the coming games but it's hard to win when your PP unit is doing as poorly as the Devils' is. 

Whatever’s wrong with the PP, overpassing is definitely contributing to it.  Last night was better, but we’re still seeing too many instances in which players are looking for a teammate as opposed to throwing the puck on net.  At this point, it’s much more important for the PP to be effective than esthetically pleasing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, we can post about the individual performances of the player and cite stats, the fact of the matter is, this team regressed.  It regressed from last season and seems to continue to regress as the season moves on. The whole team sucks because the coach sucks.  I gotta say, I’m so pissed off that I’m having a hard time articulating my thoughts.

We have Timo and others playing out of position.  We have 3rd line players on the top line and top line players on the third line.  The PP is worse than ever.  Players are regressing and Lindy decided that 2/3 into the season is a good time to change the system.

What I think is worse, is that no one has really developed to be anymore than what they are.  No one has really exceeded expectations under Lindy.  There is zero consistency and zero chemistry.  Let’s not get into accountability.  It seems as though only two players are held accountable for bad play.  Timo and Holtz.  Yeah, some got benched here and there, but then get rewarded to top line or top pair.

Sorry for the rant, but watching this team with all the talent is worse than going through the rebuild years when you know your team is going to suck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Whatever’s wrong with the PP, overpassing is definitely contributing to it.  Last night was better, but we’re still seeing too many instances in which players are looking for a teammate as opposed to throwing the puck on net.  At this point, it’s much more important for the PP to be effective than esthetically pleasing.

Yeah, and how many times do we have to watch shots from the point that have zero chance of getting to net only to lose the zone or give up an opportunity to the other team.  Yeah, they won Saturday, but that was happening during every PP against a Flyers team that leads the league in SHG.  That is coaching.  Even if the player keeps making the same mistake, it’s up to the coach to fix it.  What makes it so insufferable, is that it’s been happening for years 5on5 too!  It’s crazy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Yeah, and how many times do we have to watch shots from the point that have zero chance of getting to net only to lose the zone or give up an opportunity to the other team.  Yeah, they won Saturday, but that was happening during every PP against a Flyers team that leads the league in SHG.  That is coaching.  Even if the player keeps making the same mistake, it’s up to the coach to fix it.  What makes it so insufferable, is that it’s been happening for years 5on5 too!  It’s crazy!

Well, I think we can all agree that problems attributable to coaching won’t be fixed by the geriatrics exhibit behind the bench.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Well, I think we can all agree that problems attributable to coaching won’t be fixed by the geriatrics exhibit behind the bench.

Exactly.  I don’t believe that the team is incapable, uncoachable and/or lacks heart.  And, if there was one or two on the team that fell into that category, they shouldn’t be wearing a Devils jersey.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.