NHL Draft 2024 Tonight-Sat. @ Sphere Vegas

Chimaira_Devil_#9

21 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

Nice dream but issue is Askorov isn't ready for NHL minutes. Consensus seems to be he's still 2-3 years out.

So, he’s going to start his career when he’s 24-25? No chance.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, njbuff said:

So, he’s going to start his career when he’s 24-25? No chance.

23 most likely. Very likely yes. He's not ready. 

Trotz has said they will do everything they can to resign Saros. The reason being Aska isn't ready. And they don't want to trade aska they basically said that too. The likely scenario is both going to stay on that team. And that would be the right scenario for Nashville. 

And his age doesn't matter cuz goal is develop a lot slower I mean damn Knight won't be starting full time for Florida until he's at least 25 from the look of it. If Aska was a sure thing and clearly far from it, Nashville wouldn't be in this position.

Edited by Muevelos

Posted (edited)

Nice highlights video on Michael Brandsegg-Nygard a.k.a the Norwegian fella. Right shot, number 28 in red or white.

He's second in points for Norway in the world championship tournament so far, and first in goals.

I like him for the Devils not just because he could be the BPA at 10, but he definitely addresses a team need. This guy is physical, fast, and can shoot. In a men's league, he really does not look out of place as far as his physicality goes. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being one of the first few guys to jump into the NHL, and he would absolutely be a welcome addition to the Devils in the next couple of years.

Edited by nessus
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

During the 2023 draft, there was a clear #1 in Bedard, and no one was debating that. For much of the year, Michkov was second, with Fantilli beginning to challenge him for that spot toward the end (ultimately it was Leo Carlsson who went second).

In this year's draft, there is another clear #1 in Celebrini, but after him, I am most commonly seeing another Russian player, Ivan Demidov at 2. Some lists have Levshunov or Silayev ranked second, but the latest I have seen Demidov is at 6. 

Michkov was objectively a stronger prospect than Demidov is. He was producing at a really great rate (good for 4th on his team in points in less than half the games played of anyone ahead of him). It had been his second season with KHL games under his belt before even being drafted. He ended up falling to 7th overall, which looks to be a steal of a pick for the Flyers, unfortunately. Demidov, while having very impressive production this season, is two leagues beneath the KHL in the MHL, and has not yet recorded a point in the VHL or KHL during his limited time there. Admittedly, his numbers in the MHL are pretty wild though. Is it possible that he could fall to the Devils' pick at 10? It would be an absolute home run if so.

Ultimately, I do not think this will happen. While I think that as a whole, the top 15 players in this draft are a stronger group than last year's top 15, Demidov and Celebrini seem to have a pretty clear separation from the rest of the pack. But man, would it be cool to have a player like this join the Devils core group. We can dream.

Number 11

• Like 2

I've been reading about Sennecke, since his stock has gone up a bit. I wouldn't mind him getting picked. Big RW with some wheels who can still handle the puck with speed. He's made my list with Iginla, Brandsegg-Nygaard, Helenius.

Also some pretty interesting defensemen that I'm sure will be available, but I haven't paid as much attention to them. Really feels like after pick number 1 everything is up in the air. Should make for a interesting draft.

• Like 2

All of Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Buium, Iginla, Dickinson, Parekh, and Silayev seem like they could be top 5 picks. There’s a solid chance the Devils get a real steal at 10 if someone like Buium drops, or another player or two (e.g Eiserman) goes really early. 

I'm not getting excited for the draft because our first rounder is either getting sent to Calgary for Markstrom or is being packaged along with Mercer/Schmid + Holtz/Casey for Ullmark. The market for a goalie will be super competitive and Fitz might panic and pay through the nose out of fear of failing the position yet again. 

6 hours ago, slasher72 said:

I'm not getting excited for the draft because our first rounder is either getting sent to Calgary for Markstrom or is being packaged along with Mercer/Schmid + Holtz/Casey for Ullmark. The market for a goalie will be super competitive and Fitz might panic and pay through the nose out of fear of failing the position yet again. 

Yea but it might happen at the draft.

Think About It GIF by Identity

On 6/3/2024 at 4:15 AM, slasher72 said:

Marsktrom isn't in the conversation; dude is too old, and hasn't played well the last couple years. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Marsktrom isn't in the conversation; dude is too old, and hasn't played well the last couple years. 

3 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Ullmark and Soros are the only ones who really move the needle for me but I don't really see us snagging either

Be ready for disappointment because Markstrom is by far the most likely option. I'm not thrilled either but depends on what's spent.

Askarov was there when NJ took Holtz. Obviously, both Holtz and Askarov have more to prove but a slight taste of sour grapes right now. Hopefully Holtz gets his sh!t together under the new coaching staff.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Be ready for disappointment because Markstrom is by far the most likely option. I'm not thrilled either but depends on what's spent.

Askarov was there when NJ took Holtz. Obviously, both Holtz and Askarov have more to prove but a slight taste of sour grapes right now. Hopefully Holtz gets his sh!t together under the new coaching staff.

Brought this up before but at the time Askarov was taken, Blackwood looked like he had a solid future (.916 save% and 12.5 GSAA through his first 70 GP, over two seasons).  And the Devils absolutely needed some young wingers who could score...Holtz hasn't developed as hoped (for a variety of reasons) and I wasn't super keen on the pick, but I can understand both why the Devils passed on Askarov and also why they selected Holtz.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I can already see it now - Calgary lands both Tij Iginla, and one of the stud defenseman with the extra top 10 pick. 

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I can already see it now - Calgary lands both Tij Iginla, and one of the stud defenseman with the extra top 10 pick. 

I just don't see how you pass on one of those 3 dmen.  With Hughes, Nemec, Casey and X from the draft this year, that will be a very dangerous core.  

On 5/31/2024 at 12:33 AM, nessus said:

During the 2023 draft, there was a clear #1 in Bedard, and no one was debating that. For much of the year, Michkov was second, with Fantilli beginning to challenge him for that spot toward the end (ultimately it was Leo Carlsson who went second).

In this year's draft, there is another clear #1 in Celebrini, but after him, I am most commonly seeing another Russian player, Ivan Demidov at 2. Some lists have Levshunov or Silayev ranked second, but the latest I have seen Demidov is at 6. 

Michkov was objectively a stronger prospect than Demidov is. He was producing at a really great rate (good for 4th on his team in points in less than half the games played of anyone ahead of him). It had been his second season with KHL games under his belt before even being drafted. He ended up falling to 7th overall, which looks to be a steal of a pick for the Flyers, unfortunately. Demidov, while having very impressive production this season, is two leagues beneath the KHL in the MHL, and has not yet recorded a point in the VHL or KHL during his limited time there. Admittedly, his numbers in the MHL are pretty wild though. Is it possible that he could fall to the Devils' pick at 10? It would be an absolute home run if so.

Ultimately, I do not think this will happen. While I think that as a whole, the top 15 players in this draft are a stronger group than last year's top 15, Demidov and Celebrini seem to have a pretty clear separation from the rest of the pack. But man, would it be cool to have a player like this join the Devils core group. We can dream.

Number 11

Following up on the above:

Would be a total slam dunk at 10 overall if by some miracle he fell that far.

3 hours ago, nessus said:

Following up on the above:

Would be a total slam dunk at 10 overall if by some miracle he fell that far.

Good for Calgary. Can you imagine if they select Iginla and Demidov at 9 and 10? That would be pretty sick on their part. It seems all but certain that Fitz is sending our pick to them for Markstrom. Hopefully it'll be worth it. If Markstrom stinks it'll be back to the drawing board.

Edited by slasher72

A Norwegian player has never been drafted in the first round. Brandsegg-Nygard may drop a bit lower than 10 if the Devils don't take him there.

But I mention this because there may be some kind of bias against Norwegian prospects at the draft. Not necessarily due to a stereotype, but possibly because they can be difficult to evaluate/project if they are playing in Norwegian leagues. I REALLY want the Devils to find a way to take Norway's Stian Solberg, who is probably a late first round level talent, but likely won't go until significantly later than that. If the Devils can trade up into the second round for him, they really should do that. I honestly don't get a feeling like this about a prospect often (last time was in 2021 with Svozil and Wallstedt - remains to be seen whether either of these guys makes it as an NHLer), but this guy seems like exactly what the Devils need. 

He's an all around very good defenseman. He is good positionally, good in transition, and has some nice offensive instincts as well. I've seen videos of him making some really crafty passing plays, and some sneaky moves in the offensive zone. He can also skate very well. But what really stands out about his game is he is an absolutely punishing hitter. This is the type of player the Devils really should be targeting, as he can help make the Devils more difficult to play against, and reduce the need for Macdermid types by being both an effective player, and an intimidating force.

5:30 of the video above (linked) shows some examples of this guy finishing checks.

Would you trade pick 10 (and something else, next Devils pick isn't until 75) for picks 14 and 33 (both from San Jose), and try to get Brandsegg-Nygard and Solberg? I think I'd go for it depending on where it looks like those guys will get selected on draft day.

38 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Good for Calgary. Can you imagine if they select Iginla and Demidov at 9 and 10? That would be pretty sick on their part. It seems all but certain that Fitz is sending our pick to them for Markstrom. Hopefully it'll be worth it. 

What makes you say that? That would be pretty poor asset management, unless something substantial is coming back with Markstrom.

• Like 1

This is a nice video on Beckett Sennecke, a late riser in this year's draft class, who some feel could be selected in the top 10. This is one of those "toolsy" prospects that is really showing he can put it all together. Sometimes with him, I get the feeling that where he excels currently may not quite work against better defense at the NHL level. But he is showing that he's got some nice vision and playmaking ability. He can shoot, and he uses his big frame to drive to the net. To me, he's got a pretty broad skill set when it comes to his offensive game, so it's tough to hone in on one specific strength that makes him stand out. He's kind of just...impressive across the board when it comes to his offense. I like the way he often brings the puck from outside to inside to make plays in traffic. He does plenty of perimeter play, which I think raises concern for some people. However, his ability to make plays when driving toward the net, with defensemen right in front of him, shows that he can be more than a perimeter player. Overall, I think he could turn out to be a very good player if he stays on this trajectory. His two way play can use some work, though. And ideally, you'd like to see a longer track record of success at the CHL level for a top 10 pick.

I still have to watch some more video on him before I fully make up my mind, but if we are going with a forward, I still think I would go with Brandsegg-Nygard or Helenius with this pick if either of them is available. 

@Guadana are you still around? I'd like to hear your thoughts if you're following this year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I've been liking the Sennecke writeups I have come across myself. But with Fitz going win now mode, I am not investing too much research with a first round pick this year.

Agree, I feel like the pick is absolutely being moved for a right now piece.

• Like 2

Trading away 3 first round picks in a row is very bold. I get the win now mindset, but you kind of have to continue building up your prospects pool even if you are in your competitive window. There comes a time when players get too expensive, and you start depending on the young, cheap talent. Unless there's a legitimate top line winger available, I'm not sure what gets Fitz to move this pick. I was about 50-50 on this pick getting traded, but after the Markstrom trade, I think it's highly unlikely now, but I'll never say never!

Edited by nessus

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I really really like McGroarty. He fits our window, only going to get better, and could be cost-controlled. Is more NHL ready than whoever you pick at 10 overall. Plays physical. I can't believe he's on the trade block just because he decided to go back to school. 

Holtz straight up or the 10th overall, but not both. Hard bargain.  

Either way we win if you can only give up one asset in that trade. 

We'd come out of that with 2 of Holtz, McGroarty, or 10th pick player (Brandsegg-Nygard please)

Edited by RizzMB30

14 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I really really like McGroarty. He fits our window, only going to get better, and could be cost-controlled. 

Holtz straight up or the 10th overall, but not both. Hard bargain.  

Either way we win if you can only give up one asset in that trade. 

We'd come out of that with 2 of Holtz, McGroarty, or 10th pick player (Brandsegg-Nygard please)

Based on what I’ve read about him, I’d give up the 10 OA for him.  If they asked for Holtz as well, I’d still consider it.  A cost-controlled ELC prospect who hopefully needs less development time would be a real nice score.  

• Like 2