NHL Draft 2024 Tonight-Sat. @ Sphere Vegas

Chimaira_Devil_#9

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Based on what I’ve read about him, I’d give up the 10 OA for him.  If they asked for Holtz as well, I’d still consider it.  A cost-controlled ELC prospect who hopefully needs less development time would be a real nice score.  

This would be quite a move. I love that a player like this possibly becomes available and Fitz is immediately reported to be in on him. 

McGroarty on Jacks wing for years to come....big 6'4" boi just running guys down and keeping up with Jack and Bratt. 

Leadership qualities and sticks up for his teammates. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

McGroarty on Jacks wing for years to come....big 6'4" boi just running guys down and keeping up with Jack and Bratt. 

Where are you seeing that he’s 6’-4”?   Not questioning that he’s more of a power forward and would be a good fit but I haven’t seen him listed at anything other than 6’-1”.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Where are you seeing that he’s 6’-4”?   Not questioning that he’s more of a power forward and would be a good fit but I haven’t seen him listed at anything other than 6’-1”.  

I stand corrected. Plays like he's 6'4". 

14 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

I really really like McGroarty. He fits our window, only going to get better, and could be cost-controlled. Is more NHL ready than whoever you pick at 10 overall. Plays physical. I can't believe he's on the trade block just because he decided to go back to school. 

Holtz straight up or the 10th overall, but not both. Hard bargain.  

Either way we win if you can only give up one asset in that trade. 

We'd come out of that with 2 of Holtz, McGroarty, or 10th pick player (Brandsegg-Nygard please)

My son was telling me he saw some mock trade where the Devils give up Marino and the 10th for McGroarty and the rights to sign D Dillon then sign Pesce in FA.

I would absolutely trade the 10 for this kid anyway.

2 hours ago, xxchaznjxx said:

My son was telling me he saw some mock trade where the Devils give up Marino and the 10th for McGroarty and the rights to sign D Dillon then sign Pesce in FA.

I would absolutely trade the 10 for this kid anyway.

10 is more than enough on its own.  NFW adding Marino, too -- and they can wait the 24 hours to speak with Dillon for free, thank you very much.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, smelly said:

10 is more than enough on its own.  NFW adding Marino, too -- and they can wait the 24 hours to speak with Dillon for free, thank you very much.

Selling on Marino would be a mistake imho. I am biased towards him greatly. He was moved off the Pens for having an off-year and the fact he was locked up for cheap term. He had one of the best years his first year and this past season was a down year. Expect a bounceback. He won't be paired with Bahl all season like this past season with the injury to Dougie. He'll be paired up with L. Hughes or Siegenthaler barring any injuries. 

I wouldn't be surprised that the year Marino was traded off the Pens, he was paired up with Dumoulin most of the year. Pens thought Dumoulin was a top 4 guy and he just wasn't. Not saying Marino's success is dependent on his partners, but I don't think he's been with the best yet.  

There's no reason that John Marino can't be a 5 goal, 50 point defenseman this year playing alongside Luke. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’d do 10 for McGroarty straight up. Are you hearing anything that you can share?

McGroarty is a lefty. So I think it would mean Timo or Bratt on the RW, but fvck it. 

EDIT: Some places his listed as a RW. So maybe he just plays the off-wing. More research needed, will circle back. Still yay from me if we move for him. 

Edited by RizzMB30

7 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:
18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

McGroarty is a lefty. So I think it would mean Timo or Bratt on the RW, but fvck it. 

No; Timo playing out of position clearly doesn’t work as we saw. If anything move Bratt.

39 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Selling on Marino would be a mistake imho. I am biased towards him greatly. He was moved off the Pens for having an off-year and the fact he was locked up for cheap term. He had one of the best years his first year and this past season was a down year. Expect a bounceback. He won't be paired with Bahl all season like this past season with the injury to Dougie. He'll be paired up with L. Hughes or Siegenthaler barring any injuries. 

I wouldn't be surprised that the year Marino was traded off the Pens, he was paired up with Dumoulin most of the year. Pens thought Dumoulin was a top 4 guy and he just wasn't. Not saying Marino's success is dependent on his partners, but I don't think he's been with the best yet.  

There's no reason that John Marino can't be a 5 goal, 50 point defenseman this year playing alongside Luke. 

I don't know about 50 for Marino, but maybe 35 or so...which, crazy as it sounds, is a little better than what Severson has brought offensively for his career (he's only managed 40+ points in any given season just once).  35 points per 82 GP for a defenseman not noted for his offense would be terrific.

If Marino turns in a year like 2022-23 with a little more offense, I'd happily take it...especially at his cap hit. 

• Like 2

McKenzie's final ranking comes out tomorrow. This usually gives a better idea of what the true consensus among GMs/scouts is. It's interesting how much stock a lot of fans put into the media/amateur scout rankings. No matter how many places have a player ranked in the top 10, you really never know what the organizations are actually thinking.

23 minutes ago, nessus said:

McKenzie's final ranking comes out tomorrow. This usually gives a better idea of what the true consensus among GMs/scouts is. It's interesting how much stock a lot of fans put into the media/amateur scout rankings. No matter how many places have a player ranked in the top 10, you really never know what the organizations are actually thinking.

They'll go off the board and find another Chase Stillman and the entire forum will burn down.

• Haha 1
  • Vomiting 1

2 hours ago, smelly said:

Not on Rutger.

I will say that on NHL Radio yesterday they were discussing the Rutger situation, and the story was that this was not another example of some kid not wanting anything to do with being banished to Manitoba.

To the contrary, the relationship between McGroarty and the Jets has apparently been quite good, and his dad was always wearing his WIN hat at all of Rutger's games.

Rather, the issue is that the kid sees a lot of his peers being signed at the end of their college careers and getting NHL games right away.  WIN was willing to sign him but refused to play him this year and is inclined as an organization to slow-roll him, meaning he likely won't get NHL games next year either.

I would absolutely deal number 10 for him.  But I don't see how he's breaking into NJ's big league lineup next year.  So that is likely a major (but not impossible) obstacle to a deal.

• Like 3

It also will likely come down to draft day, once teams start making picks. There are several top players who can slip quite a bit, possibly to 10. If the Devils have a player like Levshunov in their top 3, and he isn't picked by 9, they may regret dealing the pick.

• Like 2

I'm feeling like they keep the pick. And add through free agency. This draft feels deeper than most recent. Could absolutely be wrong, but when you have a top 10 pick in a deep draft, I feel like you gotta use it. Could be the difference in growing a solid roster player or paying for someone who'll be around for a year or 2 and cost way too much

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

I'm feeling like they keep the pick. And add through free agency. This draft feels deeper than most recent. Could absolutely be wrong, but when you have a top 10 pick in a deep draft, I feel like you gotta use it. Could be the difference in growing a solid roster player or paying for someone who'll be around for a year or 2 and cost way too much

Can't understate the value of having a solid player on an ELC and under team control for a long time - but man I just don't know if it makes sense to add an 18 year old right now.

When the kid is hopefully in his peak ~4 years from now - will this core still be in tact?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can't understate the value of having a solid player on an ELC and under team control for a long time - but man I just don't know if it makes sense to add an 18 year old right now.

When the kid is hopefully in his peak ~4 years from now - will this core still be in tact?

Tough call.  Devils obviously need some right-now help, but will also need young ELC kids to throw into the mix.  If all goes according to plan they'll hopefully be drafting in the 20s from 2025-on for a while, so this might be their final Top 10 pick for a while.

If the right deal involving the 10 OA simply never materializes, then I get hanging onto it, and hoping that the player that selected can join the team in 2-3 years.

There's cap space at the moment, but Mercer's got a raise coming, and then of course, Luke gets one after this season, and Nemec gets one in two years.  Curious to see if Fitz indeed goes after Pesce; if that happens, hard to imagine Marino's not dealt.   

4 hours ago, nessus said:

I love it but it won't. There is next to no chance Iginla gets past the Flames if they have the chance to draft him.

• Like 1