Markstrom is our new #1, For Bahl and 2025 1st rounder and 30%retained

John Wensink

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My main beef with it is that Question Markstrom (sorry @Crisis) is that he's put up an .898 save% over the last two seasons and a GSAA well below average.  It's impossible for me to see this as some major improvement; his overall numbers over the past two seasons are WORSE than VV.  If he's not getting it done, then what?  Yeah you can give Allen a shot, but Plan A never called for him to be a 1 or even 1A.

The only positive is that at least the 10 OA is still in play for another piece, and that could fetch a nice forward.  And I can't say I'm upset about Bahl because it feels like he's 50/50 at best to ever truly become the player his size suggests that he can.  I'll root for Markstrom because he's now our guy, but I'm fully ready to not be surprised if he's very meh here.  His recent track record sure points to such.

Hopefully a change of scenery and new management will only be a positive  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'll root for Markstrom because he's now our guy, but I'm fully ready to not be surprised if he's very meh here.  His recent track record sure points to such.

The good news is if that is what happens, the price was fair and the pick is top 10 protected. Plus, we got retention.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

Boot on the other foot time - Flames fans somewhere I’m sure would have started debating who they were picking at 9+10 in the draft this year or which highly-rated young player that would be a part of their core moving forward. Instead they have a bottom 16 draft pick (if things go to plan), retained salary on someone they were clearly shopping + a meh D-man that doesn’t move the needle all that much

Edited by DM23
  • Like 3

Just now, 2ELIAS6 said:

Hopefully a change of scenery and new management will only be a positive  

Obviously we ALL want the guy to succeed.  But man I wish it was a guy with less question marks.  

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Fear, mostly. I personally penciled BAHL as our 7th defender at best this year, now Fitz has a spot for his familiar verterán obsession he loves so much

Plenty of options out there for that role. My hope is that Fitz sees what we all see re: Smith.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Plenty of options out there for that role. My hope is that Fitz sees what we all see re: Smith.

Hopefully.

i’d take Miller back here in a heartbeat. Hell even Kulikov for a second tour

• Like 2

Yeah I'm not entirely sold on Markstrom either but I'd rather him for this price than the absolute fvcking mint we would have had to offer for a slightly surer thing who we might have to lock ourselves into for big money (Saros, Ullmark, etc).

The 'short term plan' in goal buys them time for Daws, Schmid and Poulter.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The good news is if that is what happens, the price was fair and the pick is top 10 protected. Plus, we got retention.

Yeah but if that happens that's also another season wasted.

One plus is that with the retained money, Fitz should STILL have room to shop for a goalie if he decides to go that route, if all went badly enough in net.  He has very little money tied up in goaltending, in the grand scheme.

• Like 1

Wasn’t thrilled with Markstrom…

but… all the details work for me.   I didn’t want to give up our 2024 pick for him, I didn’t want to give up Casey or Holtz for him, and I worry about cap hit.  

Fitz instead sends our 32nd OA :) and Bahl to Calgary for 2 years of Markstrom with Schmid/Daws developing behind him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I'm not entirely sold on Markstrom either but I'd rather him for this price than the absolute fvcking mint we would have had to offer for a slightly surer thing who we might have to lock ourselves into for big money (Saros, Ullmark, etc).

The 'short term plan' in goal buys them time for Daws, Schmid and Poulter.

Also Malek.  But yeah would be nice to see one of the kids pounding on the door come 2025-26.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DM23 said:

Boot on the other foot time - Flames fans somewhere I’m sure would have started debating who they were picking at 9+10 in the draft this year or which highly-rated young player that would be a part of their core moving forward. Instead they have a bottom 16 draft pick (if things go to plan), retained salary on someone they were clearly shopping + a meh D-man that doesn’t move the needle all that much

IMG_8140.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, aylbert said:

Wasn’t thrilled with Markstrom…

but… all the details work for me.   I didn’t want to give up our 2024 pick for him, I didn’t want to give up Casey or Holtz for him, and I worry about cap hit.  

Fitz instead sends our 32nd OA :) and Bahl to Calgary for 2 years of Markstrom with Schmid/Daws developing behind him.

I agree in that I think Fitz at least didn't overpay.  Calgary did about as well as they could here...I think they finally realized they didn't have some major chip to cash in.  

Eh, I don't like either of the things going the other way. Bahl was still young, but probably is what he is at this point. 

The only thing I like is the salary retention. That's a huge plus. 

Moneywise this is a great deal at least. Markstrom's big in terms of size and I hope he'll stabilize the position a little for us, but I'm disappointed when we were promised possibly bigger fish. 

That's might be why top 6 d AND depth D was in our supposed wishlist. Need another LHD. Hammy, Marino, Nemec pulling up the right and LHughes and Siegs on the left. 

This at least doesn't break the bank so we can re-sign MercDawg and a top six RW. I want quality shutdown d men. 

Still pulling for and hoping that Fitz is looking into Yakov Trenin if you can fit him in for under 3.5M AAV. Slots into the bottom six on the left side and makes competition for Palat and N.Foote. 

EDIT: OH fvck I thought it was the 2024 1st rounder that was a part of this. That's another big part of this. I'd love to chance to pick Brandseggs-Nygard or Iginla still. I like Fitz betting/banking that we'll be better next season too. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Just now, smelly said:

One other W for Fitz -- He is only paying Markstrom $700k more than he would have had to pay VV this coming season.  #winning

I understand Fitz not gambling on VV bouncing back to 2022-23 form (it would have been too costly to both him and his team if such a roll of the dice didn't pay off), but let's not pretend that Markstrom's much of a lock to be all that much better.  VV's actually been the better goalie overall the past couple of years, in terms of actual performance.    

2 minutes ago, StarDew said:

So the 2025 pick is protected. Can't be top 10.

So who gets Kapanen? Trade bait?

UFA  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I understand Fitz not gambling on VV bouncing back to 2022-23 form (it would have been too costly to both him and his team if such a roll of the dice didn't pay off), but let's not pretend that Markstrom's much of a lock to be all that much better.  VV's actually been the better goalie overall the past couple of years, in terms of actual performance.    

VV also had a better team in front of him than JM did fwiw

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

IMG_8140.gif

What I was intimating was that if the “sellers” feel they’ve been shortchanged, the buyers seem to have gotten a decent deal on the face of it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

Eh, I don't like either of the things going the other way. Bahl was still young, but probably is what he is at this point. 

The only thing I like is the salary retention. That's a huge plus. 

Moneywise this is a great deal at least. Markstrom's big in terms of size and I hope he'll stabilize the position a little for us, but I'm disappointed when we were promised possibly bigger fish

That's might be why top 6 d AND depth D was in our supposed wishlist. Need another LHD. Hammy, Marino, Nemec pulling up the right and LHughes and Siegs on the left. 

This at least doesn't break the bank so we can re-sign MercDawg and a top six RW. I want quality shutdown d men. 

Still pulling for and hoping that Fitz is looking into Yakov Trenin if you can fit him in for under 3.5M AAV. Slots into the bottom six on the left side and makes competition for Palat and N.Foote. 

Yeah, Markstrom is not a big fish.  Fitz instead went bargain-shopping...not like those moves CAN'T work out, but I was hoping for something more "solid".  If you get 2022-23 Markstrom, it's a disaster.  If you get 2023-24 Markstrom, you have no idea what you're getting, because he was very up-and-down.

I'm to the point where all I can do is just hope he surprises.  I can't honestly say that I'm expecting much from him.