2024 League wide FA Deadline thread

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get the feeling it's either Tarasenko or Fitz waits and sees who become available (even in-season).  And of course Fitz won't know exactly how much he has to work with until he re-signs Mercer.  

I would be good with bringing in tarasenko on a one or two year deal. Think I read somewhere that the pens were pursuing him and I’m can imagine there are others as well. We don’t have much room for a bidding contest 

12 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Looks like Tatar is coming back

Eh, Fitz did a pretty good job of addressing all the major holes on the team.   Middle six wing is pretty easy to address in season and at the trade deadline.   If this is just a stopgap move, I'm fine with it.   Doesn't feel the same as Lou bringing back the ghost of Petr Sykora and Brian Rolston to fill out the 2nd line 3 years after they stopped being productive NHLers.    

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Eh, Fitz did a pretty good job of addressing all the major holes on the team.   Middle six wing is pretty easy to address in season and at the trade deadline.   If this is just a stopgap move, I'm fine with it.   Doesn't feel the same as Lou bringing back the ghost of Petr Sykora and Brian Rolston to fill out the 2nd line 3 years after they stopped being productive NHLers.    

Rolston was actually coming off three straight 31+ goal seasons when Lou signed him...it seemed like a solid signing at the time.  But yeah once he got here his play dropped off a cliff...and of course, he went full Roger Dorn on us.

Sykora wasn't too too bad given expectations...played in just about every game and put up 44 points.  Obviously was no longer "in his prime" Sykora, but if you look at the several season prior, he actually wasn't TOO far off his season norms at that point in his career.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

On 7/1/2024 at 5:23 PM, smelly said:

Tatar's name has apparently been floated internally as a cheap option.

Color me skeptical -- I'll believe it when I see it.

Well there ya go. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Buch re-signed in STL so that is prob not happening.

Yup. Transaction cost way too high, plus need for new deal killed it. 

So my guy was right that Tatar was the cheap fallback. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, smelly said:

Yup. Transaction cost way too high, plus need for new deal killed it. 

So my guy was right that Tatar was the cheap fallback. 

I guess Tarasenko was out of our price range?

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Would have been nice to add Tarasenko but I don’t see how Fitz could have fit that contract with Mercer needing to be signed 

Yeah Devils just couldn’t make that work.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Would have been nice to add Tarasenko but I don’t see how Fitz could have fit that contract with Mercer needing to be signed 

Not to mention two years. Fitz was probably offering one year.

Edited by MadDog2020