Devils Select Anton Silayev 10th Overall in the 2024 NHL Draft

nessus

6'7, 200 pound defenseman playing in the KHL.

I like the pick overall. He was not on my radar because I thought he would go much earlier. He's just the type of player GMs tend to love.

Silayev is a bit of a project. He's got some awesome tools, and can cover a ton of space with that huge frame. His offensive upside is still a work in progress, but he has plenty of time to develop that. It probably doesn't matter much on a team with Hamilton, Nemec, Luke, and potentially Casey anyway (as an aside, adding Silayev to that core is just sickening for other teams).

I can't remember the last draft eligible defenseman playing regular minutes in the KHL. That's pretty insane. Demidov wasn't even playing there this season at all.

This pick reminds me a bit of the Adam Larsson pick. A big defensive defenseman who was playing in a top league. However, when Larsson got to development camp, it looked like he was skating in quicksand. And I think that's something that limited his upside. Silayev, on the other hand, skates so well. I'd say he skates well if he were 6 inches shorter too (i.e. it's not just "good for his size"). 

When we have a 6'7 monster on the ice in the playoffs in 4 years, I think we will all be very happy. Hope this guy gets mean.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, nessus said:

6'7, 200 pound defenseman playing in the KHL.

I like the pick overall. He was not on my radar because I thought he would go much earlier. He's just the type of player GMs tend to love.

Silayev is a bit of a project. He's got some awesome tools, and can cover a ton of space with that huge frame. His offensive upside is still a work in progress, but he has plenty of time to develop that. It probably doesn't matter much on a team with Hamilton, Nemec, Luke, and potentially Casey anyway (as an aside, adding Silayev to that core is just sickening for other teams).

I can't remember the last draft eligible defenseman playing regular minutes in the KHL. That's pretty insane. Demidov wasn't even playing there this season at all.

This pick reminds me a bit of the Adam Larsson pick. A big defensive defenseman who was playing in a top league. However, when Larsson got to development camp, it looked like he was skating in quicksand. And I think that's something that limited his upside. Silayev, on the other hand, skates so well. I'd say he skates well if he were 6 inches shorter too (i.e. it's not just "good for his size"). 

When we have a 6'7 monster on the ice in the playoffs in 4 years, I think we will all be very happy. Hope this guy gets mean.

image.gif.a9bafa128d9828a0d546d30a151c757f.gif

• Like 2

10. New Jersey Devils -- Anton Silayev, D, Nizhny Novgorod (RUS)

NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 (International skaters)

Silayev (6-7, 211) had 11 points (three goals, eight assists), 103 shots on goal, 74 blocked shots and was second on his team with 98 hits in 63 regular-season games. The 18-year-old left-handed shot, who was No. 2 on Central Scouting's midterm list in January, had the most points by an under-18 player in Kontinental Hockey League history; Vladimir Tarasenko is second (10 points for Novosibirsk in 2008-09). Perhaps most impressive was how Silayev adapted to the physical style of the game as a teenager in the KHL while averaging 14:54 of ice time per game.

"He seems to always be alert and able to quickly get pucks to his forwards in transition," NHL director of European Scouting Jukka-Pekka Vuorinen said. "He can carry the puck and has a great release. His personal skills are still a bit raw, but his ceiling is high."

NHL.com analysis: The Devils select one of the most unique prospects in this year's draft. Silayev is an outstanding skater for a player his size, which has earned him comparisons to Tampa Bay Lightning star Victor Hedman. His offensive upside at the NHL level is unknown, but his skating and physicality would make him the perfect complement to New Jersey's other young top-end defenseman prospects, Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec.

2nd on his team in hits at 17 is crazy. 

• Like 2

Sounds like a solid high-upside pick.  Not much to do but wait and see.  Gonna be a while before we see this kid.

• Like 1

Liking this pick more and more. I really didn't know as much about him as some other players since I felt like he was almost sure to go in the top 5-6 of this draft. But supposedly Larionov said he was the best defenseman on his team in the KHL playoffs this season. And this guy seriously can hit. Really feels like he is one of the guys who dropped significantly relative to his projected spot.

Luke-Nemec

Silayev-Casey

Imagine if all goes well here...

• Like 1

Just catching up as I was driving to the shore during the draft.   My draft preview from The Hockey News has him ranked #3 overall for the entire draft!   Like others have said, seems like a good compliment to the other guys we already have on the roster.   They also use the Victor Hedman comparison for his upside 

• Like 2

Just getting around to seeing that interview. Was he sitting down? Or was his interpreter 7 ft tall?

Love how he tried some English. 

And the Hedman ref. Though that may make Nico cringe. 😜

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Based on what I’ve read about him so far, and where he was projected to go, I can definitely wait.  I get the feeling in 3-4 years we’re going to be very happy that Fitz decided to keep the pick.

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Based on what I’ve read about him so far, and where he was projected to go, I can definitely wait.  I get the feeling in 3-4 years we’re going to be very happy that Fitz decided to keep the pick.

Me too. I’m fired up for this pick. 

• EvilHeart 1

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Me too. I’m fired up for this pick. 

Also a situation where I hope some of the mutants (none really are on here) realize that this is not a “right away” Top 10 pick.  It’s gonna be a bit like Luke to start…forget about even seeing him here for the next two seasons (though of course we did get a taste of Luke at the tail end of Year 2).  Then we’ll see how much work he’ll need once he arrives.  

• Like 1

Liking this pick more and more. Especially if we sign Pesce and Dillon. This helps up financially to have him potentially come in a year or 2. Heard Dreger mention a 100 million cap in a few years easily. Setting up the pipeline perfectly.

Edited by Muevelos
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

You have to imagine that the contract in the KHL is part of the reason he fell to 10, so I’m okay with this 

Maybe, but Demidov still went top 5 (think he only has 1 more year in the KHL though). I’d say it’s more the lack of offensive upside wrt Silayev. But the Devils already have Luke, Nemec, and Casey for that. 

• Like 1

Well we have someone who can actually face off with Matt Rempe if he is still in the league by then.

After doing some reading I am feeling a lot more positive about this pick than I was yesterday on first viewing.

Let's hope we can get him over in the next two years.

• Like 2

Dennehy says he got his number one defenseman (Silayev) and number one goalie  (Yegorov) on his list. I read elsewhere that Brodeur said Silayev was fourth on their board (can't find a source for this now, so might not be true). If that was the case, I wonder who 1-3 were.  Maybe Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom. Kind of cool to know there were only 2 non-Celebrini players ahead of Silayev on their draft board if that's true.