Devils have acquired F Paul Cotter and Vegas third in 2025 for Alexander Holtz and Akira Schmid

MadDog2020

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

He’s going to pretty much the best possible destination for reclamation projects. 

It'll probably depend how much he wants it.  Maybe actually being traded (in addition to being left of Sweden's WC roster) will be the wakeup call for him.  It wasn't going to happen here though, certainly not with Fitz still around and all the hard feelings of the last two years.

• Like 2

Holtz going had me looking back at the 2020 Draft class thinking who I wanted instead,  and the two players I liked were Marco Rossi and Cole Perfetti and neither of them are setting the world on fire, although they are better than Holtz.

At least it's not like we missed out in a home run pick just after him. If anything we got one of the better players out of the Draft in Mercer (Big bounce back year this year Merc Please).

I guess that there is just something fundamentally off with his attitude that the coaches and other teams just don't like.

I feel it's more likely he isn't in the NHL in two years than he is putting up 30 goals for Vegas. But let's see, wishing him the best.

• Like 3

The obvious second guess people seem to have now is Askarov, but people forget that Blackwood was on our roster, 22 years old and a recent second-round pick at the time who had two fine years to start his career so I'm sure he wasn't a real consideration and the fact Nashville isn't exactly rolling out the red carpet for him to start anytime soon isn't a great sign to this point.

• Like 2

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

The obvious second guess people seem to have now is Askarov, but people forget that Blackwood was on our roster, 22 years old and a recent second-round pick at the time who had two fine years to start his career so I'm sure he wasn't a real consideration and the fact Nashville isn't exactly rolling out the red carpet for him to start anytime soon isn't a great sign to this point.

Yeah whenever people bring up not having taken Askarov, I bring up that Blackwood was coming off two very promising NHL seasons.  And of course that the idea was to get Jack a scoring winger, and a guy who was projected to potentially be able to do that was likely to be available at the Devils’ draft slot.  Sometimes sh!t just doesn’t work out as hoped for.

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah , I was never keen on taking a goaltender that high, so it doesn't feel like a dropped ball to me.

I am very glad we finally have a Russian Goaltender in the system now though.

Also very interested to see how Jakub Malek gets on this season and where he goes. Maybe a split with Daws now Schmid is gone.

I have high hopes for Malek.

• Like 1

Just now, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Yeah , I was never keen on taking a goaltender that high, so it doesn't feel like a dropped ball to me.

I am very glad we finally have a Russian Goaltender in the system now though.

Also very interested to see how Jakub Malek gets on this season and where he goes. Maybe a split with Daws now Schmid is gone.

I have high hopes for Malek.

Poulter is at Utica too.

• Like 1

TBH I'm not even that high on them using a second-round pick on a goalie now when they still have Daws/Poulter as near term prospects and you can get far-term prospects later on but I'm a bit biased by the whiffs we've had with high goalies (Ahonen, Damphousse, Jeff Frazee...Blackwood's the BEST of the 1st-2nd round goalies we've drafted since Marty then Mike Dunham three decades ago).  Plus clearly Fitz's obsession with size extends to goalie and both Markstrom and the Russian kid they drafted are big.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

This feels like giving up on Holtz just to get rid of him. Not surprised after how Fitz dragged him when talking about him. 

I'll say it again in the land of the free:  Slow/Weak/Soft   You don't win cups with guys like that.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

TBH I'm not even that high on them using a second-round pick on a goalie now when they still have Daws/Poulter as near term prospects and you can get far-term prospects later on but I'm a bit biased by the whiffs we've had with high goalies (Ahonen, Damphousse, Jeff Frazee...Blackwood's the BEST of the 1st-2nd round goalies we've drafted since Marty then Mike Dunham three decades ago).  Plus clearly Fitz's obsession with size extends to goalie and the Russian kid they drafted is big.

Some blasts from the past here.  

The Ahonen and JF Damphousse drafts were the worst.   I don’t remember Marty ever threatening to leave and he operated without an agent so those seemed like wasted picks from day 1.  Brendan Morrow was the pick after Damphousse too   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1
  • Vomiting 1

34 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I would have lost my mind at the time spending the 7th overall on a goalie.  

6 hours ago, smelly said:

Yeah, Fitz blew the Holtz pick and has corrected his mistake. 

At least it wasn’t a Rob Blake-sized F up. 

They didn’t help him because he didn’t earn any help - he failed to demonstrate even the most basic elements of being a professional. 

This is old news. 

Can you elaborate on his lack of professionalism?

• Like 1

I also don’t know much about Cotter although he seems like a solid bottom 6 guy. But guys like that aren’t expensive and should not have required giving away a young goalie with potential in Schmid. Fitz overpaid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, devlman said:

Can you elaborate on his lack of professionalism?

This is totally anecdotal and dumb social media bullsh!t, but I remember the day that Fitzy sent him down to the AHL he changed his Instagram profile picture from one of him in a Devils jersey to one of him wearing a jersey from his time in juniors, that always left a bad taste in my mouth 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, devlman said:

I also don’t know much about Cotter although he seems like a solid bottom 6 guy. But guys like that aren’t expensive and should not have required giving away a young goalie with potential in Schmid. Fitz overpaid.

Schmid had a difficult year in both the NHL and AHL, and with Markstrom and Allen slated to play with the big club and a lot of goalies currently in the system, someone had to go.  Poulter played himself ahead of Schmid (though it’s fair to say that with goalies being as volatile as they are these days, who knows how both goalies will fare next season).

I get the feeling Daws’ days might be numbered too, FWIW.  Like others have noted, Malek and Brennan might be joining Utica in the near future.

BTW something that’s been lost in all of this:  both Schmid AND Daws are RFAs.  Schmid would’ve had to have been re-upped…as far as that goes, the deal makes more sense.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Schmid had a difficult year in both the NHL and AHL, and with Markstrom and Allen slated to play with the big club and a lot of goalies currently in the system, someone had to go.  Poulter played himself ahead of Schmid (though it’s fair to say that with goalies being as volatile as they are these days, who knows how both goalies will fare next season).

I get the feeling Daws’ days might be numbered too, FWIW.  Like others have noted, Malek and Brennan might be joining Utica in the near future.

I totally understand the logjam and wanting to move certain players on, but I  just think that doesn’t require giving away players for lower returns. Even with the down year I think a young guy who won a playoff series could pull in more than Cotter.

Yeah I could see Daws’ number being called to leave town. His lateral movement needs a ton of work if he wants to excel in the league.

9 minutes ago, devlman said:

I totally understand the logjam and wanting to move certain players on, but I  just think that doesn’t require giving away players for lower returns. Even with the down year I think a young guy who won a playoff series could pull in more than Cotter.

Yeah I could see Daws’ number being called to leave town. His lateral movement needs a ton of work if he wants to excel in the league.

Schmid’s contract situation didn’t help.  The GKs basically traded for his RFA rights.

And given Daws’ similar contract situation, more and more I suspect that Poulter’s going to be the only Comet from last season to be on the team next year.  I think it’s going to be a case of “OK, Malek and Brennan…your turn!”  Both have two ELC years each, according to Capfriendly.  Poulter has one.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BTW something that’s been lost in all of this:  both Schmid AND Daws are RFAs.  Schmid would’ve had to have been re-upped…as far as that goes, the deal makes more sense.

I believe Schmid was also eligible for arbitration but I could be wrong 

2 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I believe Schmid was also eligible for arbitration but I could be wrong 

You are correct.

I still don't like the return here, but the logjam in goal is a real thing. It is time to see what some of the other players can offer. They have done enough to deserve their shot (Poulter and Malek in particular). I just wish it was Daws going the other way. I didn't think a bounce back year was out of the question for Schmid, even if he would have spent most of his time in the AHL.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t  Holtz have been exempt from waivers? If that’s the case why not send him down to play on the top line and 

A. Hopefully increase his trade value and/or

B. Allow him to continue to work on the weak parts of his game

What was the rush on getting rid of Holtz at this draft? This trade just screams impulsiveness and desperation to show ownership you’re making the team grittier and keeping your word after a terrible season. In reality it’s just poor asset management.