Devs get Johnathan Kovacevic from Mon for a 2026 4th Rounder

MadDog2020

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Stay at home D man, maybe in case we lose out on UFAs this week?

I’m hoping he’s the Smith replacement 

I still want one of Dillon/Zadorov

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

So can we basically set a filter for bigger than 6 3" and  207lbs+ For the UFAs and figure out who Fitz is chasing tomorrow?

Fine by me. This team needs to get bigger. Too many smurfs. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
  • Shocking 1

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Nothing not to love about this, having briefly read up on him. 

At worst, he's excellent depth.

Yeah, and the Devils had three 2026 fourth-rounders to boot, so they dealt from a surplus.  Solid deal, and should spell the end of Smith.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

D corps already taking some shape here. 

Siegs-Ham

LHughes-Pesce

???-Nemec

Kovacevic/Hatakka/DeSimone

I really really don't like moving Marino before paper is put to ink on Pesce. I understand being aggressive and taking a great deal when it's laid out for you, but Pesce and his agent could be fvcking with you. Giving you guarantees/promises they have no intention of fulfilling.

They could be seeing an average of 6-6.5 million a year and the Marino trade gives away a lot of leverage in the discussion.

What's stopping the Pesce camp from asking for 7.5m because they know you already moved the player in his projected spot. I guess Fitz can say he can wait on Nemec and lie, but idk.

Edited by RizzMB30

Not only is Fitz finding some guys who should help…he’s finding guys making PENNIES.  Cotter and Kovacevic make less than $1.6 million AAV COMBINED.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Siegs-Ham

LHughes-Pesce

???-Nemec

I really really don't like moving Marino before paper is put to ink on Pesce. I understand being aggressive and taking a great deal when it's laid out for you, but Pesce and his agent could be fvcking with you. Giving you guarantees/promises they have no intention of fulfilling.

They could be seeing an average of 6-6.5 million a year and the Marino trade gives away a lot of leverage in the discussion.

What's stopping the Pesce camp from asking for 7.5m because they know you already moved the player in his spot. 

I’m sure they wouldn’t have dealt Marino if Pesce wasn’t assured.

If he pulled off some move of going back on a verbal or even a handshake that could have lasting issues for him in the future.

That being said, I think this trade is missing on Dillon insurance. Or we’re possibly carrying 8 defenders. 

He waivers exempt?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

Siegs-Ham

LHughes-Pesce

???-Nemec

I really really don't like moving Marino before paper is put to ink on Pesce. I understand being aggressive and taking a great deal when it's laid out for you, but Pesce and his agent could be fvcking with you. 

What's stopping the Pesce camp from asking for 7.5m because they know you already moved the player in his spot. 

Re:  Marino, in fairness it’s not that hard to understand.  Fitz wanted the 2nd round pick this year so he could take a specific goalie in the draft, and he didn’t have one of his own, and obviously can’t wait until after the draft (and after Pesce is signed) to make such a move.  And it’s clear that Fitz and Co soured on Marino…they wanted to move on.

Now we’ll see if Pesce happens.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not only is Fitz finding some guys who should help…he’s finding guys making PENNIES.  Cotter and Kovacevic make less than $1.6 million AAV COMBINED.

Underrated observation, great call. 

Even with the cap rising like 4 million a year, the devils are still going to be facing a Cap crunch with both Luke and nebuch coming off ELCs in the not so distant future. 

Plus this lets fitz get a little creative now in free agency.

• Like 1