Devils sign D Brenden Dillon - 3 x $4M

Nicomo

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The anti-Jacob Trouba. 

Once upon a time he was a decent player…then he decided that he was going to try to become some poor man’s Scott Stevens.  Only without all of the other dimensions that Stevens brought.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’ll listen to this on my way home tonight 

I listened to it during my lunch break...you can tell it hurt him a little to leave Winnipeg (mostly because he genuinely seemed to think the team was good, as well as liking his teammates), but he knew that they weren't going to re-sign him.  Comes off a good dude and real student of the game, and a guy who's always looking to improve his game and learn from others as much as he possibly can.  Pretty articulate too, with a good voice...I could see him potentially going into TV at some point, if he's interested.   

• Like 1

I love this D corp. No one will push us around for sure.  This was my biggest complaint from last season.  We will be a harder team to play against. Maybe some kind of "pugilism" will rub off onto Siegs? nah, won't happen

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vincois said:

I love this D corp. No one will push us around for sure.  This was my biggest complaint from last season.  We will be a harder team to play against. Maybe some kind of "pugilism" will rub off onto Siegs? nah, won't happen

I like that the moves were to address specific needs and to tweak the Devils' identity, but what I really like is that Fitz went for guys that he felt were more "sure things" that will do exactly what he expects them to, as opposed to betting on a bunch of "ifs".

The "collect a bunch of ifs and hope it all somehow works out" was the Mets' MO for years.  IF this guy can get back to the form he showed three years ago, IF this guy can do what he did during the second half of whatever year...it never worked.  And that organization would dole out endless chances.  

I like Marino, but over the course of his career, he's been inconsistent from season to season...that's why the Pens traded him and wanted to get out from under his remaining term.  Played very well in 2022-23, then in 2023-24 reminded us why maybe Pittsburgh wasn't quite as dumb as we all thought they were.  Could Fitz have taken the "Hey, if Marino gets back to what he was in 2022-23..." tact?  Sure.  But as he showed with Marino, Holtz, Schmid and Bahl, he's done with "ifs" and "maybes" for now.  He wants guys who are much better bets to be successful in their designated roles; to be fair, he did take some risks here, in that now the Devils are suddenly older, and hopefully none of these new guys immediately start their declines upon suiting up for the Devils (like Palat).  But I feel like he made the 2024-25 Devils better than he would have if he doled out second chances to Marino, Holtz, and Schmid.  I don't include Bahl in that list because Fitz was obviously not going to start the season with Allen + Schmid or Daws, which meant someone was coming off the Devils' roster to make that happen.  He was going to get a veteran goalie with some degree of success, and preferably one not uber-pricey nor tied up long-term...enter Markstrom.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1