Devils sign F Tomas Tatar

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

IMG_7604.gif

Yeah not a fan of this one.  He's not much more than a warm body at this point.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Makes me think Tarasenko was gonna cost too much considering the cap they had to work with. Also could be a trade chip around the trade deadline.

Yeah Fitz didn't have quite enough money left to sign anyone truly worthwhile unfortunately.  Once Dawson's re-upped, Fitz will have a little bit in reserve...$1 - 1.5 million.

7 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I don't hate it, he's a good locker room guy it's a "why not?" move 

I'm not fully triggered by it or anything, just don't think he's gonna be worth his hit.  Two out of the last three seasons he's been damned near nonexistent offensively.  Also kinda feels like there's enough good locker room guys with the moves Fitz made prior.  Guess it just feels kinda unnecessary?  

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah Fitz didn't have quite enough money left to sign anyone truly worthwhile unfortunately.  Once Dawson's re-upped, Fitz will have a little bit in reserve...$1 - 1.5 million.

I'm not fully triggered by it or anything, just don't think he's gonna be worth his hit.  Two out of the last three seasons he's been damned near nonexistent offensively.  Also kinda feels like there's enough good locker room guys with the moves Fitz made prior.  Guess it just feels kinda unnecessary?  

Ideally I would have liked us to make a run at another top 6 winger but I think this core is good enough to get us to the trade deadline where maybe we can dangle some of those extra picks for some help

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 1

The Devils have three 2nd round picks in 2025.

If they feel the need to bring in someone of significance, they could easily make an in season acquisition to fill a need.

Tatar’s a good role player to start the season with. If they need something more, Fitz will make a move by the deadline.

No need to panic about a top 6 forward on July 2nd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

The Devils have three 2nd round picks in 2025.

If they feel the need to bring in someone of significance, they could easily make an in season acquisition to fill a need.

Tatar’s a good role player to start the season with. If they need something more, Fitz will make a move by the deadline.

No need to panic about a top 6 forward on July 2nd.

They now have two second-rounders…one of them went so they could take Yegorov.

No panic, just don’t love this particular move.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They now have two second-rounders…one of them went so they could take Yegorov.

No panic, just don’t love this particular move.

I think this move might mean Noesen in the top 6 or maybe a rookie getting tried out there. Might try Tuna with Hischier-Bratt too. 

Tuna/Noesen(RW)-Nico-Bratter
Meier-Hughes-Mercdawg
Palat-Haula-Noesen/Tuna
Cotter-Lazar-Bastian

You can also go with Tuna-Nico-Mercdawg and you'd still have Meier-Hughes-Bratt

With the cap the way it is, might have to bank on a new young player who will surprise us in camp. The possibilities are there. Maybe they give Hameenaho a hard look early. 

This is a better problem to have than the defense just doesn't work/gives up/is as porous like last season. Or having to find a good available goalie. The real difficult puzzlework is over at least. Maybe Fitz will cook up another trade. Maybe there's some prime aged RW he's looking at. I've heard the rumors about Nick Robertson now giving the Leafs a hard time and saying he won't extend. I have a feeling you could fleece them if you dangled a NHL forward and RHD at them. I wasn't thinking about Necas too much, but maybe there's an answer there. 

Some of the top teams I don't know if they'll be the same moving forward. I'm looking at the Golden Knights, FLA, and Carolina. They've just had a lot of turnover and you never know what that will do come training camp. There's gotta be a top 9 RW we can poach from somewhere or a player who is maybe a bit younger/less value and maybe you trade for him and he's not fully ready for top 6 minutes, but in a year or two.

This is partially why you don't move young players for 4th liners, even if you're getting tougher/checkier.

Would you rather have Holtz or Tatar in the top 6? I think I would have preferred to run it back with Holtz for another year (who would have been just a cheap for the time period). Sometimes it's just one more year and I know people don't want to hear it, but sometimes it's just how player development goes. 

Edited by RizzMB30