Devils sign F Tomas Tatar

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They now have two second-rounders…one of them went so they could take Yegorov.

No panic, just don’t love this particular move.

Don't they have their own, Edmonton's and Winnipeg's 2nd rounders in 2025? Maybe I'm wrong. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Don't they have their own, Edmonton's and Winnipeg's 2nd rounders in 2025? Maybe I'm wrong. 

You are 100% correct.  Their own second could go to Montreal, but the conditions are not likely to be met for that to happen.  But yes, three second-rounders in 2025 (their own, Winnipeg, Edmonton).

One too many Scotches tonight heh heh.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

i like the signings aside from tatar which is a real headscratcher, just a waste cap space imo. went right to check, if the skating is still there and it looks like he lost quite a step which begs the question if still can be effective at this point. was waiting for the last signing, expecting to finally get a center as insurance and roslovic is still there. we are missing some speed still from the 22/23 and roslovic would have brought this with some size, i would have him either as 3rd line center or on of the top lines. i guess mercer will be our center insurance which isnt great really. if either nico or jack get injured, our centers would slot hischier - haula - mercer - lazar for example. mercer coming off the top6 and 3 lines take big hit, that would be last season all over again, still with better defense and goaltending. i guess fitz just wanted to get things done and go on holidays lol

so now i would go:

bratt-hischier-meier

noesen-hughes-mercer

palat-haula-cotter

tatar-lazar-bastian

still a good mix of size, speed and skill i would say and meier/mercer could switch lines easily.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@woody footbreaker I’m with you in that I’ve largely liked what Fitz has done this offseason, with the exception of Tatar.  I might have liked the Tatar signing a tiny bit more if he had signed for less (say closer to $1 million), but I’m just not feeling that one at all.

Anyway, guessing if Fitz looks to add scoring during the season, he’ll deal from his surplus of 2025 second-rounders and maybe add a Utica piece or two.  He has no 2025 first-rounder to dangle, so depending upon how much room he has to work with and who’s available in season, maybe he considers giving up the 2026 first-rounder, but it would have to be someone with prime years left and not due to be a UFA for at least a couple of years.

• Like 3

thx, for your response appreciated 😁 

in regards to additional scoring, our cap situation after this season makes it hard to bring in somebody considering luke gets his new contract and we would have to ship out tatar, bastian and send mckermitt to the AHL to make at least a little bit of room this year. we need players on ELC the next years, maybe gritsuk will be here in april or we can trade for cheap talent?

i really hope Fitz takes a hard run at McGroarty, he ticks a lot of boxes what the devils need going forward and 3 yrs on ELC would be huge. i think in worst case he becomes an above average 3rd liner, ch makes it happen. Casey´s value is high at the moment and i dont see a path for him the next 2-3 years considering what we have on the right side and what we really need on defense. even a little overpayment would be okay, the time is now i would say, dont let it slide. add a midprospect with picks and make it happen Fitzy!!!

as for Tatar, Nemec will be really happy. i read Tatar was one his idols when he grew up. 🙃🙂🙃

lets hear from Fitzy later, LGD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woody footbreaker said:

thx, for your response appreciated 😁 

in regards to additional scoring, our cap situation after this season makes it hard to bring in somebody considering luke gets his new contract and we would have to ship out tatar, bastian and send mckermitt to the AHL to make at least a little bit of room this year. we need players on ELC the next years, maybe gritsuk will be here in april or we can trade for cheap talent?

i really hope Fitz takes a hard run at McGroarty, he ticks a lot of boxes what the devils need going forward and 3 yrs on ELC would be huge. i think in worst case he becomes an above average 3rd liner, ch makes it happen. Casey´s value is high at the moment and i dont see a path for him the next 2-3 years considering what we have on the right side and what we really need on defense. even a little overpayment would be okay, the time is now i would say, dont let it slide. add a midprospect with picks and make it happen Fitzy!!!

as for Tatar, Nemec will be really happy. i read Tatar was one his idols when he grew up. 🙃🙂🙃

lets hear from Fitzy later, LGD

This where Holtz's situation has really hurt...without getting into "It's Fitz's fault!  It's Lindy's fault!  It's Holtz's fault!", had he worked out he would have been the perfect "Cheap and from within" guy to slot into the Top 6, but that ship has sailed.

As far as contracts go, as much as it sucks having dead cap space, after this year Fitz may seriously have to bite the bullet with Palat, and buy him out.  They'd get back a little over $2.5 million in new space in 2025-26 and $3.5 million in 2026-27, and have a little under $1.5 million in dead space for each of the following two seasons.  I hate having dead space as much as anyone but if he had another rough decline kind of year, and they still need some scoring help and no one from within appears to be the answer, they've gotta clear out some money.

And yeah, I'm all for going after McGroarty.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And yeah, I'm all for going after McGroarty.  

The Jets pick?

And didn't they tell us last year Foote was basically right there to play a role here?

Now we go and sign Tatar again?

Thumbs down, IMO

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

This is partially why you don't move young players for 4th liners, even if you're getting tougher/checkier.

Would you rather have Holtz or Tatar in the top 6? I think I would have preferred to run it back with Holtz for another year (who would have been just a cheap for the time period). Sometimes it's just one more year and I know people don't want to hear it, but sometimes it's just how player development goes. 

There has to be something more than Holtz's on ice play that got the response from not only the Devil's coaches, but other GM's and Team Sweden.

Something is in the weeds here with Hotz and maybe at some point it comes out. The people I know to speak to about it has been very tight lipped in offering anything to shed light on it. 

Plenty of players over the years in the league with bad attitudes, poor work ethic, etc, so not sure what the stink is on him from keeping teams from wanting to take a shot at a guy that can bury the puck, but it is something IMO.

And yes I agree, if there ever was a time to use Holtz it was this year in the top 6.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

The Jets pick?

And didn't they tell us last year Foote was basically right there to play a role here?

Now we go and sign Tatar again?

Thumbs down, IMO

Yeah the Jets' pick; I'm kinda surprised no one's snagged him yet.

And yeah, until someone gets hurt (and that can definitely happen course), once Dawson's re-signed, the 12 forwards are pretty much set.  If Foote's still a part of the plans, he's gonna be the 13th guy at this point. 

15 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

This is partially why you don't move young players for 4th liners, even if you're getting tougher/checkier.

Would you rather have Holtz or Tatar in the top 6? I think I would have preferred to run it back with Holtz for another year (who would have been just a cheap for the time period). Sometimes it's just one more year and I know people don't want to hear it, but sometimes it's just how player development goes. 

I don't think Holtz was ever gonna figure it out in the Top 6 here (nothing I really saw here really had me thinking he would), and it seemed like Fitz and others were simply just done with him.  And who knows, maybe Holtz was mentally done with the Devils as well.  

But yeah, can't say that outside of veteran experience, that Tatar's going to bring much else, and am definitely not looking forward to him potentially getting Top 6 minutes.  I'm expecting something much closer to a repeat of 2021-22 than 2022-23.  

Just now, Jimmy Leeds said:

"Snagged him yet"

Is he available or something?

Basically he doesn't want to sign with Winnipeg.  He wants to play in the NHL ASAP and there's no spot for him with the Jets, so he won't sign an ELC with them.  FWIW there's rumblings that the Caps might try to deal for him.  Not sure what the Jets are asking for, but McGroarty was a 14OA selection in the 2022 draft.  He's now 20 years old and is headed back to university of Michigan for his junior year, barring a deal.  

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Basically he doesn't want to sign with Winnipeg.  He wants to play in the NHL ASAP and there's no spot for him with the Jets, so he won't sign an ELC with them.  FWIW there's rumblings that the Caps might try to deal for him.  Not sure what the Jets are asking for, but McGroarty was a 14OA selection in the 2022 draft.  He's now 20 years old and is headed back to university of Michigan for his junior year, barring a deal.  

Got it. Therein lies that risk of drafting NCAA players

Well, I'd like it then, lol

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Got it. Therein lies that risk of drafting NCAA players

Well, I'd like it then, lol

Was just thinking what it would take to get him; the Devils don’t have a 2025 first-rounder to offer, so they’d have to cough up a legit prospect.

Given the Devils’ needs at the moment, I’d probably offer Casey in a deal.  We’re all intrigued by him but the Devs are pretty well-set at RHD for a while.  And of course the idea is to deal a nice prospect to get a different nice prospect that should have a much cleaner and quicker path to the big club.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was just thinning what it would take to get him; the Devils don’t have a 2025 first-rounder to offer, so they’d have to cough up a legit prospect.

I’d consider Casey straight up. That could work well for both teams. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I’m all for dealing a luxury for an immediate need. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’d be curious to know if @smelly has heard anything on McGroarty.

or dealing palat lol

SJ could make sense since greer said he wants to add more veterans to the mix to guide to upcoming guys. he could reunite with toffifee 😅

anaheim same thing, they are still under the cap. my guess is fitzy explored those options already and teams are worried about the 3yrs left, we would need to add picks to make it work.

I think Palat would be a good "keep" but we need to make the playoffs first.  He's a "in-the-grind" type of player when it comes to the playoffs.  Regular season grind - not so much.  

So, we either take a passenger with us for the regular season, or jettison the "passenger" in the hopes of picking someone up with his cap space.   Palat could be interesting at the deadline for a contender the likes of Edmonton or even Toronto (cap space permitting of course). 

13 minutes ago, woody footbreaker said:

or dealing palat lol

SJ could make sense since greer said he wants to add more veterans to the mix to guide to upcoming guys. he could reunite with toffifee 😅

anaheim same thing, they are still under the cap. my guess is fitzy explored those options already and teams are worried about the 3yrs left, we would need to add picks to make it work.

Devils would almost definitely have to retain some money too, if they tried to move Palat.  

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils would almost definitely have to retain some money too, if they tried to move Palat.  

most likely, but cheaper then the boyout. i rather fix that beore his NMC kicks in next year. it would allow us to pick up a better player right away.

toffoli coming the other way same 6m haha, just kidding

Edited by woody footbreaker

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm sure each team has scouted the other guy plenty since they're both on Michigan. 

I would do it.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I sure each team has scouted the other guy plenty since they're both on Michigan. 

I would do it.    

So would I. But alas, it’s probably not that easy or it would already be done lol